Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang on wet roads

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:44 AM
ilp

Default Mustang on wet roads

Hello, I am new to this forum. I want a new sport car and I have ever wanted a mustang, I like very much its design, price and available mods. I do not want itfor dragrace, only for personal use and now I have the money to buy one. BUT... I have heard that mustangs are dangerous in wet curving road, because of its live axle and itslackof stability control. Is that real? from time to time my little boy and my wife will enjoy it with me in some trips, and I do not want to have an accident atthe minimumpress of the right pedalin curves.

I know this is a mustang forum and all of you loves it, butknow nobody knows it better than you.

thanks in advance!

p.d. Sorry for my english.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:21 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang on wet roads

i was impressed with the wet road handling on the stock p-zero's...now that i have the KDW2's and lowering kit, it feels much better in the rain.

It all comes down to the driver mod also...if you floor it around a corner in the rain, you will most likely lose traction, if you drive intelligently, you will be fine
Old 07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It is true that you have to be more careful, but it is misleading to think of it as being dangerous or that it will spit you off the road if you only get a tiny bit careless. If you are thinking of the GT, then like any other 300 horsepower car you have to respect the power. Learn to drive smoothly, not with "jerky" steering and throttle or brake pedal movements and you will be fine. People have been successfully driving Mustangs without having accidents for almost 45 years.

Live axle makes some things about the car"s handling not as good as if it had a good IRS, but other live axle things make it better than if it had a badly designed IRS or one that is in poor condition. In other words, a live axle (also called a "stick axle") is not automatically a bad thing to be avoided.

I do not like the way many of the newer "safety" features are being sold. Stability control in particular. Having these electronic safety features does not guarantee that they will keep you out of an accident. They cannot over-rule the laws of physics. Not having them does not mean that you are definitely goingto get into accidents. But that"s what they makeit sound like, and that"s what they have got you thinking. Except for vehicles that are likely to tip over, I call this a case of the safety fanatics using"scare tactics".

People need to learn how to drive for themselves responsibly, and not put all their trust in computers that cannot see what is happening out there right now on the road in front of youand were programmed by people who maybe never even left the office.

Norm
Old 07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: mac10chap

i was impressed with the wet road handling on the stock p-zero's...now that i have the KDW2's and lowering kit, it feels much better in the rain.

It all comes down to the driver mod also...if you floor it around a corner in the rain, you will most likely lose traction, if you drive intelligently, you will be fine
Exactly.....any car can be dangerous in the rain, if you drive smart then the mustang will be just as safe as any other car. I have never had problems with it at all.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What they said. Sensible driving and putting better rubber than the OEM tires is all that's required.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Driver mod. nuff said. I was VERY impressed how the stock p zeros handled in the snow. Even with it needing new tires. TCS saved my *** quite a few times!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:36 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

Yeah I will say in my old 96 when it rained and I was driving down the highway changing lanes I could feel the car hyrdoplane a little but with my 07 I hardly felt it witht he stock tires. I got bigger rims and wider tires now and they pretty much made any feeling go away. Just leave the TC (traction control) on and it should be safe. Ive never even came close to losing control with the TCS on. I will say I took TC off one rainy day and punched it from a red light and by the time I was hitting third I was fish tailing like a **** but that was my stupidity.