Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First time you saw your Mustang GT......

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:36 PM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

Me and my parents were looking for a new car, since my first one had been totalled when I was rear ended by an uninsured, illegal immigrant (no offense, that just made my situation at the time a hell of alot worse)
I had fallen in love with the S197's at this point, loved seeing them where ever I went.
So we found this classified of a used 05 mustang that had been sitting on a lot forever, nobody wanted it. 12K Miles on it, and we had about 12K$ from the claim on the previous car. I got hysterical and got really excited when we went to go take a look. Now I had driven a V6 before, and I hadn't looked into modding or performance or any of that, when I saw the mustang before I saw it as a glorious salute to the days of older muscle cars, while still retaining a modern trim to it. Driving the V6 around was fun, I loved the way everything felt, I could sit in it and feel right at home.
I expected the one we were looking at to be a V6 too....
It wasn't.
We showed up and asked about it, the dealer took us over and showed us this black GT convertible. I knew the GT was different and more powerful.....but I turned the ignition, and everything just sync'd up. My dad watched and I watched him recall memories of his first mustang. We both just smiled, I knew what I wanted now, and so did he.
It was sleek and powerful, had the tan interior and top, which, while I prefer black (still do), reminded me of my late grandfather, whose car I inherited, the same one that was totaled. The best way to honor him, and the money that was helping to pay for this
We sat down with the dealer and worked out a deal. ~20K$, or ~9$K after the insurance money, for the clean record, one owner, 12K miles, clean as a whistle AT 2005 Mustang GT convertible.
I drove it off the lot, following my dad home, possibly the most memorable drive I've ever had in my car. Especially when I pulled up along side him on the highway, and he motioned to just "GO".
Here I am now, grease on my hands, working up the extra funds to put a turbo system in the car. Scouring the internet, reading all sorts of mechanical related articles and things, the Mustang really did more than just provide me with a car, it opened up a whole new world of interest to me.

I hope to buy my dad one, one of these days. A real "thank you" for putting up with my shenanigans.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:45 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

^ And that's the magic of a Mustang

Man I love these cars.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:35 PM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

Heh, yea, these cars have stirred something deep inside me
Now I know that my kid is going to be raised on 100 octane, drag radials and the american muscle car that's lasted over 45 years

My dad struggles a little to understand my F/I plans, but still gets the whole "more power" thing, he was always more of a displacement guy though.
Mom on the other hand, hates the idea of an even faster car (secretly, she loves the GT, I've caught her taking it out before, not that she shouldn't be able to if she wants, but she got embarassed when she tried to say her car was low on gas, only for me to point out that it was almost full) She just doesn't want me hurt myself.
The entire family has gotten into it though, my younger brother just understands more horsepower, but he's there too. They all want to see this project come together and really wake the GT up with the turbo. My mom even asks me a few questions about it now and again (how it works, what happens in the intercooler, why you need to keep the power below a certain level)

EDIT:I guess this is part 2 of the story...

I'd almost hate to say it, but it really brought us all together. I wasn't really performing in school to the point I should've been, my dad was feeling that "tired" age, my mom was up late at night while I went out with friends, worrying about me. It wasn't a serious family issue, but everyone was just not feeling their best. After the mustang I think I really realized how much I owed my parents, how much they do to raise us. My dad picked up, and started a new business that is thriving, he's working hard, and loving every second of it. My mom doesn't have to worry about me anymore (And I'm trying to keep my brother in line before he gets that age too). Everything really turned around over the past couple years. It feels really good.

Everytime I see my car I get a little excited, because I know it too has been good to me, I've yet to have a problem with the car itself (Sirius in-car radio has been glitchy), I've had to avoid what I feel could've been deadly crashes in it, and get away from a car of people an idiot in my car provoked. Stellar performance, hasn't made a weird sound ever. I love it to death, and will ride it until it disintegrates, I've grown too attached to sell it.
The only problem now, is finding a girl who can understand the infamous "Mustang Thing"