Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Any vortech/centri guys with an Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:11 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I'm just glad I don't have the $$ for a super-charger right now because I can't decide what I want.

I like MudFlap's description of his Vortech experience.

But if I ask myself what my GT lacks most right now, I'd say low end power. I like they way it pulls above 3,500-4,000 rpm. But below that, I find it lacking. I know a twinscrew is instant power, but it also sounds like even a Vortech is gonna be better than stock on the low end.

And frankly, I'm not real excited about doing a bunch of suspension mods (I'm not a drag racer anyway).

A Vortech would be easier on the suspension. But would it have enough on the low end to satisfy me?

A twin screw would be tons of fun all all rpm bands, but would I need a lot of suspension upgrades?

For the next year, I think I'll read every supercharger post on here and then hopefully get something.

BTW - here's my suspension setup (or will be before I ever get a supercharger): FRPP springs, shocks/struts to match the springs, 18" wheels - possibly 18x10's on the back w/ wider tires than what goes up front.

Might wider tires (whatever fits an 18x10 instead of an 18x8.5 or 18x9) be good enough to not need a suspension upgrade? Keep in mind I don't drag.

Oh, and I'm a 5 speed manual.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Atlanta_Tider
2nd Gear Member

You need control arms to start with and some meaty tires for the TS!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 PM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Other than a twin screw you can put gears in it or a stall converter if its auto

A 3500 stall will get you right into the powerband when you get on it

some 4.10s will also get you into your powerband real fast

A vortech should improve lowend a bit but really wont start coming on till 3k

I like a centri blower for the street just so your not blowing off the tires everytime you want to get on it
Old 01-06-2009, 04:51 PM
nite
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
A Vortech would be easier on the suspension. But would it have enough on the low end to satisfy me?

Oh, and I'm a 5 speed manual.
If the Vortech H.O. is anything like the Pax H.O. (which I have), you'll definitely have enough low end, especially with a manual (A.T.'s can match it with a higher stall TC). Just put it in the right gear and you're OFF, no lag involved. On the same token, on those occasions when you want to keep wheel spin to a minimum, again, as long as you're in the right gear, you'll have no spin involved, just a straight kick in the ***.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Since you're asking about this with an auto, I'll chime in with my lil' o v6 vortech setup.
From a stop, 1st and 2nd are useless; the street tires just spin when you get on it real hard. Sure more power is available at hgher rpms, but it's all good.

If I were to do it over, would I do another centri? Probably would do a turbo next time instead, just because. But the centri was easy to install and setup, and I'm very happy with it. The tune and suspension makes all the difference in getting power to the ground.

FWIW, get blown...you'll likey
Old 01-06-2009, 11:24 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

I don't have any form of FI so my post my be useless. However, I do have a CAI and tune. As of right now my suspension and tires are stock and I don't get very good traction at the strip. A TS without supporting mods would not do me any good so the brief "lag" of centri might help me as I am already spinning without FI. My point is, I would imagine that the tune you get with a centri will probably still make traction an issue so unless your wanting to upgrade your tires and suspension, I think you'd have plenty of go with a centri and still be able to show off. Either FI and I think DRs are a must if you ever want to race the car and not spin.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:27 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang

If I were to do it over, would I do another centri? Probably would do a turbo next time instead, just because. But the centri was easy to install and setup, and I'm very happy with it.
I'm holding out to do a turbo but the Brenspeed Paxton HO setup is very tempting.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

Turbo is the ultimate

but $$$$
Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

It was fun at first but I got bored of it quick because I have to really be in the power-band in order to feel any sort of real boost. It's great from a low roll or a dead stop if I want to rip the tires silly and launch like a bat outta hell, but other than that it's pretty tame at best while cruising. The 4.10s in the auto in the city will shift until I am comfortably cruising way below boost, even when it up shifts it's still not in the power-band. It was very deceiving at first, I used to think "meh, this ain't sh+t" and floored it going 30mph.. friggin' went sideways and took off! rofl it's more like gradually turning a volume **** of power, rather than an "on/off" switch like a twin screw, but I am okay with that.