Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shane's E-Force Install Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:17 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I think it might be better to just strap a fuel pressure gauge to it. I think you can get them at any auto parts store.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rm9792
The GT500 pump setup was an ok install for me but i had to cut back the metal on top of my fuel tank to get the larger setup to go in the hole then bend it all back in place. Ford couldnt manage to make the access hole actually line up with the item you are accessing??
You should not have to do this. Getting the pump in there is a horrible bitch, but it can be done with a lot of wiggling.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:16 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Got there rest of my parts today except for one minor thing*.

(deleted this question...found my answer...kit did come with a new o-ring for the GT500 fuel pump)

*don't have a, uh....TUNE. Might need that. Should be in my inbox tomorrow. If not, its gonna be 4-6 weeks before I get another chance to install.

Last edited by shanec; 08-27-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:18 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

One more question...about the parts that get mounted next to the spare tire. Are there already mounting holes in the trunk?

What I'm getting at is that my trunk & spare tire area is lined with dynamat-like stuff. I'll have to strip some away to mount this stuff....no big deal. But I need to know if I should be looking for pre-existing mounting holes.

EDIT....found the mounting bolts for the pump driver. On the way to Lowes to buy nuts to go on those bolts (THANKS FORD for not including nuts).

...Now wondering about mounting the little relay-looking dohidget...the only other part to mount in the trunk besides the driver. Looks like this goes pretty much anywhere.

Last edited by shanec; 08-27-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:51 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

When I replaced my fuel pump for the TSB, I bought a new o-ring from the dealer.

It's best to just replace it anyway. The last thing you need is gas all over the place.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

There is no schrader valve on the new mustangs. You should be able to datalog fuel pressure. I don't think the aeroforce gauge adds any special formula, just displays what the computer sees. For reference, my aeroforce gauge always shows at least 39psi unless letting off the throttle at high rpms. It will increase fuel pressure at idle or cruise if the motor is heat soaked, so don't be alarmed if you get some strange readings. Your fuel pressure should increase with boost.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Well showtime is gonna be a gameday decision. My status is day-to-day with flu-like symptoms. I did test negative for swine flu though. Still feel like crap.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec

EDIT....found the mounting bolts for the pump driver. On the way to Lowes to buy nuts to go on those bolts (THANKS FORD for not including nuts).

...Now wondering about mounting the little relay-looking dohidget...the only other part to mount in the trunk besides the driver. Looks like this goes pretty much anywhere.
+1 on the nuts, why they couldn't include those is beyond me. Yes the relay can go anywhere, take a sheetmetal screw and mount it where you like. I mounted it against the back wall of the truck, so as to not interfere with the spare tire.

Starting the job by installing the pumps is what I did and I think it is a good course of action. You can verify the pump is operating correctly before adding boost. Have fun with that part, it is a huge bitch. Make sure you grab the crossover tube before you start to try and put the new pump in. If you put the pump in first you will never be able to grab the tube. Take the tube in one hand, get the pump 1/2 in, then connect the tube (make sure it clicks, and pull on the tube to make sure it holds) then complete installation of the pump. When reinstalling the lock rings, make sure all the tabs on the lock rings are under the tabs on the tank opening, or your fuel tank will leak.

Have fun
Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Still no tune from JDM. Ugh. They say I might have it tonight. No way I'm starting the S/C install without a tune in hand.

So....on to the GT500 fuel pump.

Got the GT500 fuel pump hardware mounted in the back. Stock fuel pump as been removed. Just came inside for some fresh air. Nothing like flu + gasoline smell.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

GT500 pump is in. Its all done by the re-pining and wire to the power at the fuse box.

Uncommon issues I had - back half of the car is lined in dynamat-like stuff. Made a mess and added to debri that fell into the my gas tank when messing with the pump. I got the debri out with about 5-6 attempts with a paper towel.

Also had issue with the rubber feet on the bottom of the new pump rubbing on the tank on the way down, and falling off into the tank. Had to put those back on a few times.

1st try putting the pump in, the crossover tube kept getting stuck under the pump. Finally pulled everything out and tied the crossover tube off, in a way that held it out of the way. Got it all back in...whew

That clamp ring thing wasn't as tough as I feared. Got it in on the 2nd tap.

...taking my time obviously. Taking fresh air from the gas breaks. Then breaks from my breaks LOL

....still no tune from JDM. So no install this weekend. Can't install without a tune.

....and now back to the re-pinning.

Quick Reply: Shane's E-Force Install Thread