Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5.0 problems/complaints

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

It depends on what you like, drive both the Camaro SS, and a Mustang 5.0, see which one feels better to you. big complaints on the camaro are poor visibility. The 5.0 handles modifications better, stock engine/transmisions with over 700whp and in the 9s. If you really care about IRS you might prefer the camaro (even though the mustang out handles it) also try the different trim levels if you can afford 41,000-46,000 check out a Boss, if thats a bit too steep for you check out the GT premiums, i got mine for 33,000 and it's just about fully loaded (missing glass roof and bigger wheels), msrp was 36,000. (you'd either need to find a dealer willing to take it down invoice or get x-plan pricing) the base model 5.0s msrp is $29,000, invoice around 27,000 still decent interiors.

The thing that killed the camaro is I want an Automatic for drag racing and never worrying about not being a good driver or missing a shift. the camaro only comes with the L99 with the auto, if it had come with an LS3 I would have been a harder decision. The camaro was breaking input shafts on stock power levels and after mods they were breaking other things from what I can remember.

If you are keeping it stock then it's really which one you like driving better, they are both quick cars with the edge to the 5.0, they both have warranties and you'll get a loaner if it's in the shop more than an afternoon.

Okay as far as stock issues go with the 5.0:

Manual transmisions some people have trouble getting it into gear or get grinding or something, you can find a few threads on it, I haven't heard if the 2012's fixed that problem a few people reported different things fixing it, different fluid, some bolts not being in all the way or backing out, new or rebuilt transmission. all covered under warranty.

Nothing else has popped up for more than a few people. the #8 piston has failed on several people's cars but they are modded, they usually have an e-mail tune and no other modification, always tuned for 93 and some people reported putting 87 octane in. it's a hotly discussed topic but again, it's been like 5-7 people out of thousands with tunes, and so far nobody with a stock one has come forward saying they had that issue (some people have had this covered under warranty, some are denied warranty due to mods) also keep in mind people are running 600-700whp on these engines w/o this issue.

Last edited by Mishri; 07-14-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:28 PM
barryg
1st Gear Member

I test drove both. I liked them both. But the Camaro just feels HUGE. Too huge. I could tell that I would get disgusted with its size over time. Plus that feeling of driving in a deep bathtup feeling as well. Muscle cars aren't lightweights but at least the 5.0 feels reasonably nimble in comparison to the Camaro. A HUGE plus in the Mustang's favor for me. It also sounds better and handles better. The only plus I found for the Camaro was the ride was a little better due to the Independant Rear.

I'd research any threads on any manual shifter grinding. I know my '08 did it until it was warmed up and there was no fix that I ever found. But the 2012 is a new transmission so hopefully that is not reoccurring but I haven't really done any research since I'm not buying anything for another year or so.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by barryg
I test drove both. I liked them both. But the Camaro just feels HUGE. Too huge. I could tell that I would get disgusted with its size over time. Plus that feeling of driving in a deep bathtup feeling as well. Muscle cars aren't lightweights but at least the 5.0 feels reasonably nimble in comparison to the Camaro. A HUGE plus in the Mustang's favor for me. It also sounds better and handles better. The only plus I found for the Camaro was the ride was a little better due to the Independant Rear.

I'd research any threads on any manual shifter grinding. I know my '08 did it until it was warmed up and there was no fix that I ever found. But the 2012 is a new transmission so hopefully that is not reoccurring but I haven't really done any research since I'm not buying anything for another year or so.
From this last post it seems you are answering your own question really.
You like the 5.0 better. So get one and stop worrying about problems that come up here and there with some Mustangs.
The same thing happens to the Camaro. It had some major tranny issues with some of them.

It's not huge feeling like the maro, it's interior is MUCH better, it performs better even though the which is faster is always debatable depending on where you go,
its got a HUGE aftermarket marketplace, it really has what you are looking for and the maro does not obviously by your comments.
Yup I would take one ANY DAY over a new SS.

You are just getting too worried about stuff and before you know it you will be too scared to buy either car.
Like I said both of them, just like most cars, have the small percentage where some end up being the word "lemons".

Get the 5.0
It is what you like better. PERIOD. Case closed.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-14-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM
barryg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
From this last post it seems you are answering your own question really.
Not really since I posted it. I'm not the original poster with the question. But I understand your point.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Ha! well slap me silly and call me Susie! heheehe!

At least in my mess up I made a point lol!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:43 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

From an unbiased standpoint (and by that I mean test/surveys) the Mustang wins the battle.

The Mustang gets better MPG, has more room, has the slightly better performance, and doesn't suffer the low head room or blind spot issue the Camaro suffers.

For the first time in a long time I think Ford can finally say "kiss my *** Chevy" lol.