Massachusetts Regional Chapter Chapter President: Torch_Vert

Mass Chit-Chat

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chaoscentral
I did that too lol, glad I wasn't the only one.
Yeah, given my tendencies, there was something so appropriate about pulling in the yard for the first time, fresh from the dealer's lot, and immediately taking things apart and starting with the mods
Old 04-17-2013, 03:43 PM
LMC13
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Well, I had a "fun" time yesterday afternoon. Was able to sneak out for a cruise in the warm weather, and just as I'm pulling onto Rt 128, the car start skipping, and power is way down. Pull over the first safe place I can find to discover a plug wire had popped off the #1 spark plug.

Second time this has happened in the past month or so, and both times on the same plug. Thinking I have a failed seal on the spark plug. I've heard of cases where the seal between the center electrode and the porcelain goes bad and allows compression gases to slip by, hence pressurizing the plug boot. If it's a tight fitting boot, after a while...*pop*

Of course, since the engine was good and hot, I managed to singe my hands multiple places getting the wire back in place to get it home.
Ouch! Need to keep some work gloves in the car. At least it doesn't sound like anything major.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LMC13
Ouch! Need to keep some work gloves in the car. At least it doesn't sound like anything major.
Shameful confession: I actually had a pair of gloves in my Roush toolkit in the trunk, but they're cool looking red and black embroidered gloves and I didn't want to get them dirty
Old 04-17-2013, 04:05 PM
BigMech

Well, I had a "fun" time yesterday afternoon. Was able to sneak out for a cruise in the warm weather, and just as I'm pulling onto Rt 128, the car start skipping, and power is way down. Pull over the first safe place I can find to discover a plug wire had popped off the #1 spark plug.

Second time this has happened in the past month or so, and both times on the same plug. Thinking I have a failed seal on the spark plug. I've heard of cases where the seal between the center electrode and the porcelain goes bad and allows compression gases to slip by, hence pressurizing the plug boot. If it's a tight fitting boot, after a while...*pop*

Of course, since the engine was good and hot, I managed to singe my hands multiple places getting the wire back in place to get it home.
I had a plug fail like that in the 4.6L in my old Cougar. It popped off on the way to work, so I put it back on, then it popped off again on the way home. When I took the plug out, there were scorch marks on the porcelain, but not any on the threads. I put in a new plug, and it never happened again.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigMech
I had a plug fail like that in the 4.6L in my old Cougar. It popped off on the way to work, so I put it back on, then it popped off again on the way home. When I took the plug out, there were scorch marks on the porcelain, but not any on the threads. I put in a new plug, and it never happened again.
I'm pretty sure it's the same deal. I haven't pulled the plug yet to verify. They're at a reasonable mileage for a change anyway, so I'm going to swap them all. I figure I'll do the wires too while I'm at it (they've got about 50K on them, and I have headers)
Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Shameful confession: I actually had a pair of gloves in my Roush toolkit in the trunk, but they're cool looking red and black embroidered gloves and I didn't want to get them dirty
I can get you a pair of Mechancix gloves for free. What size are you?

I have like 3 pairs I use all the time.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
I can get you a pair of Mechancix gloves for free. What size are you?

I have like 3 pairs I use all the time.
Can't argue with a deal like that

With my big mitts, XL would probably be best. Thanks
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 PM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

(Sorry for always going off-topic) Soooooo, I bought HIDs today. lol. I was at my buddys shop and he had just put some in his car so it was a spur of the moment thing. Hopefully they'll be here by monday so i can put them in.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RJDavis413
(Sorry for always going off-topic) Soooooo, I bought HIDs today. lol. I was at my buddys shop and he had just put some in his car so it was a spur of the moment thing. Hopefully they'll be here by monday so i can put them in.
Cool. Do your existing headlights have the black metal shields in front of the bulbs?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 PM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

Cool. Do your existing headlights have the black metal shields in front of the bulbs?
Not to sure, I get out of work in about 15 minutes so i'll be able to tell you then. (I don't think they do though)

Quick Reply: Mass Chit-Chat