Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:49 AM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

Default Power steering problem

Before anyone says it, i checked the fluid (full), and the belt (tight).

Just about two days ago my power steering started acting funny, it turns just fine to the left from any position, but if i try to turn it to the right it feels like it's bone dry and will barely turn at all without having to force it. What is wrong with it? Should i be driving it? I thought of a couple things it could be but I really don't know where to start.

Here's what i could think of:
1. my brand new rack is already failing [:@]
2. pinched hose (haven't checked for this yet)
3. clogged hose
4. bad power steering pump (but this doesn't really make sense as it works to the left)
5. bent tie rod (i took a quick peek and it looked fine)

A friend told me that his battery cable hung down andwedged itself between the fender andhis steering shaft once and that caused his to do something similar. I checked for anything to be hitting the steering shaft or knuckle and i couldn't find anything. I don't want to pull the pump and rack if it's something simple so i thought i'd see if anyone had any ideas. If that rack has messed up already i think i'm switching to manual[:@]
Old 02-08-2008, 10:42 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Power steering problem

my guess would be the rack since the pump works just the same no matter which way your turning. power steering on these cars is so nice, i cant imagine going with a manual unit[:@]
Old 02-09-2008, 11:47 AM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

my guess would be the rack since the pump works just the same no matter which way your turning. power steering on these cars is so nice, i cant imagine going with a manual unit[:@]
that's what i thought too, but no reason to always think the worst. even though that's all it's ever been with this car. i love my ii but sometimes i get kinda pissed at it. i think i'm gonna probably go with a manual unit, i think people really are right when they say simple is better. it'll clean up my engine compartment a bit too.

you think it's possible that the rack is clogged or got bad steering fluid run through it? i don't remember if we flushed the system or just clamped it when we switched to the rack. might be something to try- flush the system and see if it's got any junk in it
Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

always worth a try, its only labor and a bottle of fluid..... but i'm kinda like WTF about the whole thing
Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 AM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

always worth a try, its only labor and a bottle of fluid..... but i'm kinda like WTF about the whole thing
i don't know either, it probably needs it anyway, the cooler and most of the metal lines are original equipment, maybe they're a little rusted or something. The guys on II.net said that it's probably one of the valves in the rack. so i'm gonna change it anyway. if i can find the reciept i might be able to just exchange it but we didn't think that with it being a new rack we should keep the reciept. Boy were we wrong[:@]