Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2011 Mustang GT DYNO'D by Motortrend (435hp/404tq) VID INSIDE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Kurt_OH

Originally Posted by FLcracker9
You do realize that this is a Mustang forum don't you?.
I realize that, just a bit more than you DON'T realize that "forum" means folks get to discuss the issues in the way that makes sense to THEM, not to YOU. Otherwise you could just go type all sides of the conversation into Notepad on your PC and not bother with the whole newfangled "internet" thing.

Sounds like your mind is already made up.
Nah, that's just the voice in your head. I said it was leading right now, but that there's a lot to like about Mustang. I'm just not the pick one, and hate everyone else simpleton YOU hope to attract here.

Camaro having the best exterior is your opinion.
We agree. But with MY purchase, MY opinion is what counts. Nonetheless, when I'm discussing that purchase on a forum, I do like to list both subjective and objective conclusions.

I happen to think the Camaro is down right ugly,
OK

and it handles like a bread truck.
Wow, that's rich. I'll grant that on smooth pavement the PRIOR Mustang GT with Track Pack (is that even available any more, or is it just brakes or nothing?) handled better than Camaro SS. I suspect that a similarly equipped 2011 would as well. However, there's no justification for such an ignorant, known false statement. Why not discuss it with big boy words/attitude instead? Maybe it's time to put on the big boy pants and recognize that it's NOT all "us or them", "good or bad", "Mustang or crap"; there are shades of gray and nuances in all of life, including the FACT that the difference between one mediocre handling pony car with a fat engine out front, and another one, just isn't huge, and just like the brakes issue - if you're simply a poseur, it'll never matter at all anyway.

I think both the Mustang and Challenger are better looking than the Camaro.
I agree that the Challenger is better looking. Mustang isn't, in my eye, and it isn't in MOST PEOPLES' eye from what I've read. I also like that Challengers are more rare; Mustangs are, and Camaros will be like belly buttons.

The Mustang is a much better package all around.
If that Track Pack is part of the Brembo package, so that the Mustang handles decent, then I agree with you. I already stated that if it was ONLY about the car, I'd most likely pick Mustang over 135i.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

What people have you talked to that are bashing the Mustang looks? Yes many people on this board including have said they dislike the rear end. But almost everyone will agree the front and side profiles are great. Even the 2010 as a whole car(people like to dwell on the 4.6 because of the new 5.0 and 3.7 and there for bash anyone that bought one) was an overall improvement over previous generations. When I shopped for a new car after my G35 I looked at all 3 muscle cars and two BMW's and a G35 coupe.
Here is what I gathered from the three:
Challenger R/T
- Interior left a lot to be desired
- Outside looks topped the Mustang a tad for me making it number one for looks
- If I was going to get one I wanted the SRT8 which put it out of my financial ballpark
- Dodge is a failing company and was not going to buy a car where the manufacturer may not be around in a year
- Acceleration was good and fun, similar to the Mustang.
- The overall car when it felt huge and bulky, I have always loved great handling cars the the Challenger just didn't do it for me.

Camaro 2SS with RS Appearance Package
- Dealers would not deal at all, some didn't let me drive it, two wouldn't even let me sit in one
- Without the RS appearance package, in my opinion, the car is ugly and VERY plain
- Great straight line acceleration, was the best of the three
- GM was bailed out by the government and that time I was worried about their financial security. Why should I buy a product from a company that needs a bail out?
- Interior was awkward. No available navigation/screen. If I was going to spend close to 40k for a car I damn well better get a screen.

2010 Mustang GT
- Fun all around car, good acceleration, good handling
- Good looks, takes the middle line with cues from newer style and cues from the original style
- Ford never stopped making this car, had the reliability of the 4.6L 3V, this car loves to be supercharged
- Interior is beautiful and #1 out of the three. Coming from an Infiniti I didn't feel any downgrade in moving into this interior.
- Ford made it on their own, its sad that we say this now a days, but shouldn't we reward companies that aren't failing. Instead of supporting whats wrong with our system and purchasing vehicle (or product) from companies that are failing and needed a bailout? We should have let GM and Chrysler go under, they weren't smart with their company but thats another discussion for another day on another forum.
- I got mine before the 5.0 was announced to be released but got almost a 38k car for 31k... They were willing to deal, let me sit in any car I wanted, and let me drive anyone I wanted
- The buying experience at Ford was #1. I visited multiple dealerships of each brand.

overall I would choose in this order Mustang GT, Challenger R/T, Camaro SS

The Mustang has the best value and overall best driving experience. I have driven many European cars (owned a VW for four years), luxary japanes cars (owned the Infiniti that I would still have it a lady wouldn't of ran that red light) and now owned an American muscle car (which has been a great experience).

That is my objective view on these cars. I don't hate either of the other two cars. I did look at the 2009 135 and 2002 330CI also. But needing premium fuel, being a BMW with high cost of maintenance (my roommates step dad has 4, 2002 BMW 540, 2004 BMW 330, 2000 BMW M5, and races an old 1975 BMW). He loves them but always tells me how expensive they are to fix. The amount of car you got for the money lost it right away for BMW for me. And the interior wasn't as good as my Mustang.

The G35 coupe was awesome. I loved my Infiniti and almost got the coupe 6 speed. The only reason why I didn't get it is I was in the position to buy a new muscle car or a used Infiniti. I liked the idea of getting a new car (I've never had one prior to this). Another thing can down to maintenance costs the G35 has staggered wheels from the factory where you can rotate the tires on the Mustang. The G35 does not get as good of gas mileage and requires premium gas which was another downside to it.

There is my objective view. You obviously are up the Camaro's and BMW's asses about stuff. I don't understand why but if you have driven/had all of these great cars why do you have your current car? I understand having a beater car (I will be buying one soon), but I don't know how I would go from having my Mustang or Infiniti to a base model honda/toyota/hyundai or any other base car. I just find it kind of weird. I'm sure you will attack me about this but most people continue to "move up" in the car chain. If someone had a sports car then go to an entry level car normally they still have a fun car or something else in the garage. Most people can't go from a Mustang GT to a hyundai and actually be happy with it

Last edited by Lax07; 05-05-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Kurt_OH

Bought cheap car for kid who was in college. Figured to give it to her mid sophomore yr. She didnt get that far and I wasn't rewarding dropping out so kept it. Wife jumped into that slot and got Bimmer. My turn comes this fall.

My plan: beginning this fall, put $600/month into my stock trading account (currently empty due to Bimmer purchase and Euro Trip, among other expenses), and go as far as I can without the financial catastrophe that is a new car purchase.

My guess: Oktoberfest 2011 new BMW (Euro Delivery, in case that's not clear). Probably 1 series (will 135M be out by then?), could be 335iS coupe, or may go for M3 - the ultimate non-sports car performance car for the non-rich.

Let's hope for a 2yr old V6 Mustang. Plenty zippy for a commuter, and what, $15k LOADED for a 2yr old one? :-)

Last edited by Kurt_OH; 05-05-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Kurt_OH

Just went out for my evening 4 mile jog. A late '60s Charger R/T pulled out of a driveway, and I was just LOVING the sound of that engine. Made me think about this board, and how I'd love the sound of an American V8 every morning.

It was a shiny black, with polished chrome rims.

Not sure that incident changed my selection; just sharing a car-junkie moment.

Looked pretty much like THIS: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3134/...8814f32055.jpg

Last edited by Kurt_OH; 05-05-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:06 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
With foreign tags?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Kurt_OH

LOL I don't think so. They might have been Ohio "historical" plates though.

Sharp car, sounded nice, pretty young girl driving . . . what's NOT to like, uh, except that I was jogging past instead of in there!

:-)