Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

gm going downhill?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: gm going downhill?

Probably not much: gas prices may be changing what people are buying - apparently there has been a shift from full-size to medium and small SUVs, for example. But I think the problem is more the zero-interest and employee pricing sales that they had last year to generate sales then. A lot of people aren't in the mood to buy now, particularly a lot of people who consider Detroit cars.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:20 PM
planet audio

I work at a general motors assembly plant and the main reason is labor costs, delphi and stupid horrible crappy bad management. the first thing they need to do is lower their middle and upper management income. i hate gm anyway and i wouldnt mind one bit if they went under!! in fact im actually hoping for it!!! Go ford!!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

in fact im actually hoping for it!!! Go ford!!!!
Wow. That would do wonders for the economy. Hope you know how to speak Chinese.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:28 AM
Duffs302
2nd Gear Member

GM thinks the new Tahoe will save them.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:53 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Look at my post about 'another nail'.......
Old 02-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: planet audio

i hate gm anyway and i wouldnt mind one bit if they went under!! in fact im actually hoping for it!!! Go ford!!!!
im not exactly a GM fan...or even someone who would voluntarily drive a GM vehicle....but thats gotta be one of the most ingnorant things ive heard. More power to ford, im glad they are in "better standing" than GM...even if by a hair....but seriously...u cant honestly wish they would bite the dust......

ok so GM is building cars in some third world asian countries on the cheap.....but when they get the cars to america...or WHEREVER....where do the profits go....? to americans...not the little people with the funny straw hats....the ones who are laughing all the way to the bank on how oblivious and uneducated american car buyers are and will just go with the "hysteria" that anything from asia is going to be the best car they ever had....and if its asian it gets great gas mileage and all this crap......

yes they do get their 3 cents a day to build the cars....but when a car is sold here for profit....thats money in american pockets (if its an american car).....(Hint: If you are debating between an american car and an asian or european car...buy the american car....) I realize that GM has a bunch of crap out as their excuse for a car lineup right now...but ford and its subsidaries arnt lookin too shabby.....and if chrysler comes out with some exciting cars like the charger....and maybe even the camaro from GM....hey...America will have fun, realistic and reliable cars which are what people really want....

i just dont think people realize the impact they are having when they hand over their dollars to some people across the pacific and dont give any to the people here.....

i predict american resourcefulness and creativity can make these big three have a big turn around....just as long as its allowed to run wild and actually create.....

the Focus....or "civic killer" as it will hopefully be known is proving to be pretty popular as well now.....even being used a race car now i think.....plus its really inexpensive...

the ford fusion is going to be some direct competition for the ricer market i think.....

The taurus has gotta go....what a boat anchor.....the 500 should take its spot holding down ford as the waters rise around it......

cars like the thunderbird shouldnt be done away with completely....possibly make it a "made-to-order" kind of car....as to keep the nitch in the market satisfied....

another thing....ford seriously need to have more options on the cars they produce......have the inline 4 or V6 there as standard, but then also has a couple variations of V8's available as to be able to caiter to peoples demands....thus more satisfying the requests of people.....a take it or leave it mentality dosent sell cars....look at the mustang of the 60's...u could pretty much pick out everything down to each friggin nut and bolt......

and i know this is very simplified and all that but its a general point.....
Old 02-07-2006, 12:21 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

GM haters may be the fastest growing religion on the planet. I too would not like to see GM go under because I have always been a Chevy fan and it will definitely affect the American economy. That being said, being a GM supplier, I can understand why folks would feel ill will towards the company. GM has a corporate phylosophy of blaming labor/suppliers/costs for their troubles. While there may be some truth to this it does not tell the whole story. Just look at how many Japanese and German cars are not being built on US soil. What GM insists is true is disproved by many other companies. Look at BMW 3 series built in South Carolina. It's not cheap, economical, or reliable but market share is growing nicely. More than anything else, design and marketing result in profits. I just attended the Philadelphia auto show and looked over GM's lineup. Honestly, IMO they had the cheapest, least appealing cars in the show. Hyundai is building cars with better materials, fit, and finish. GM had a "Hybrid" pickup truck as well. It looked like the '89 GMC truck I had with a hybrid engine. The other hybrids in the show all had advanced technology that complemented the futuristic powerplant. Not GM's. While GM may have to look outside of Detroit for its labot market, their problems won't go away until the Executive culture changes.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Natex
2nd Gear Member

Well look what happened to GM today. Major pay, jobs and pension cuts for GM. They have been making really bad business decisions. They're trying to appeal to the practical side of America. But face it when it comes to American cars only the passionate are swayed to buy. Don't get me wrong I really like the quality of GM as I own an Avalanche 2500 but mainstream America thinks Toyota has a more reliable product for the practical side. Where as Ford has been reaching back to the glory days to keep the sales going, GM cut there F-body program a few years ago and decided to outsource over 50% of their workforce watering down their wear-with-all when it comes to the ever changing popular demand and gas prices. Now they're dumping millions into the ethanol gas program which may or may not work. GM needs to loosen the bow tie and fight the battles they can win.