New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Lookin' for a project

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Tsudz

Default Lookin' for a project

Hello, everyone, my name is Tim.chorusHi, Tim.

Thank you, thank you. Um, anyhow, currently lookin' to ditch my '01 VW GTI and go buy the car I've been dreamin' of since I was 14...once the import is gone, I'm lookin' for ideas for a resto/mod project for a late 60's mustang. Somethin' with the classic look, but with modern power, that I'll be able to wrench on myself, or with the help of a friend or two and a six pack of beers.

Anyhow, I'm just in the beginning of putting meat on my ideas, so I've lots to learn. I don't know what's what, or entirely what it will entail to do a resto w/my bare hands and a shop manual, but it's been a dream of mine and now that I have a garage, I'm determined to make it happen. Any suggestions, ideas, or stories on how you or someone you know went through a resto project are welcome and appreciated.

Take care,

T
Old 03-18-2004, 03:47 PM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Lookin' for a project

I think you just discribed the 2005 mustang. But, I like the mid sixty fast backs. I not sure exactly what years, I think 65, 66, 67. Then there is alway the awesome 69 Mach 1.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Tsudz

Yeah, I guess that would be it, huh? I'd love to be the first kid on the block to drive one of those around, but I like the idea of bein' able to get into the engine bay and work on the car myself, and the way modern cars are, I don't feel to terribly comfortable tryin' that, ya' know?

In a perfect world, I'd prolly own the 2005 as one of many mustangs that would be sitting in my garage.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:45 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

yeah I remember the good ole days when the only polution control on a car was a simple PCV valve and you didn't have 5 miles of vacuum lines cluttering up the engine bay and gas was 30 cents a gallon. if that don't give it away, I'm an old guy (55) but I have to admit the new technology with fuel injection, computer controls, etc. has made things so much more reliable than in the good ole days. no points or condenser, no changing plugs every 20,000 miles due to leaded gas, mufflers and tail pipes lasting for years rather than months, etc etc. FM stereos and CD's beat the hell out of AM radio only too, even if it was really rockin' back in the day with DJ's that knew the music and could talk the talk! but I digress, back to your thread. welcome to the forums. glad to have you join the crowd. a 60's Stang would be a great project car if you can find a solid chaissis without too much rust! mix in some of the new with the old, get a roller motor with roller lifters but run a carb on it with a modern intake and exhaust through some long tube headers with modern free flowing mufflers! disc brakes upgrades would be good too as the old brake systems weren't much on stopping power. stay with Ford and you can't go wrong!