Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

FRPP/Saleen/Roush suspension kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:47 AM
uwgar6

Default FRPP/Saleen/Roush suspension kits

Has anybody heard a review on these three kits? Which one has the best handling characteristics and ride quality?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:54 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: FRPP/Saleen/Roush suspension kits

the general concensus is that the Saleen rides like a dumptruck. The Roush is WAY overpriced. The FRPP is decent. For what you will pay for any of them you are better off getting some Eibach/Steeda springs, Tokico's, panhard bar, and a rear sway bar. You really don't need to upgrade the front bar. These cars have enough understeer as it is. Almost all "kits" are going to be a compromise in one area or another
Old 01-29-2007, 12:05 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uwgar6

Has anybody heard a review on these three kits? Which one has the best handling characteristics and ride quality?

Hi uwgar6,

Go up and read through the long S197 lowering thread it has a lot of good stuff and comments from a lot of people with these parts installed. I know it looks intimidating but you are going to be spending a lot of money on this stuff and you should get a broad feel for what you are getting into.I must admit that I was spending a lot of time working on the car at that point in time (I never actually stopped, it is my hobby after all),so I was posting and answering a lot of questions based on my suspension experience and what I had found out about the suspension of the S197GT after installing and adjusting and aligning and tweaking and installing different stuff and tweaking and aligning all over again.

HTH

Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

the general concensus is that the Saleen rides like a dumptruck. The Roush is WAY overpriced. The FRPP is decent. For what you will pay for any of them you are better off getting some Eibach/Steeda springs, Tokico's, panhard bar, and a rear sway bar. You really don't need to upgrade the front bar. These cars have enough understeer as it is. Almost all "kits" are going to be a compromise in one area or another
+1

I would not buy any of the established kits. Check out this thread for some discussion on the established kits (Saleen, Shelby, Ford, etc.)

https://mustangforums.com/m_2184423/...tm.htm#2274097

Old 01-29-2007, 11:26 PM
uwgar6

Hmm, thanks guys. I had done quite a few searches but apparently not using the correct key words. I plan on a Whipple supercharged '07 convertable that can actually cut a corner. Actually, the suspension is a priority over the blower.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Rudiepoo1
1st Gear Member

While I agree that you could definitely peace meal a great suspsension kit with numerous combinations I have read some great things about the the Roush kit as well. While it may be a bit overpriced I still think it performs well. There have been numerous magazine articles with test results. Talk to some of the Roush guys and see how they like the handling. I'm either considering the Roush kit, or the Tokico D-specs with Vogtland springs and a front & rear swaybar kit still be to determined.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:37 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rudiepoo1

While I agree that you could definitely peace meal a great suspsension kit with numerous combinations I have read some great things about the the Roush kit as well. While it may be a bit overpriced I still think it performs well. There have been numerous magazine articles with test results. Talk to some of the Roush guys and see how they like the handling. I'm either considering the Roush kit, or the Tokico D-specs with Vogtland springs and a front & rear swaybar kit still be to determined.
I think better advice would be to talk to someone that has tried multiple different suspension setups and see how they like them in comparison to each other. Or better yet, try out the different options yourself.

If I buy a Roush kit and "I like it" that doesn't say anything about how it compares to otherkits out there. Uwgar6 didn't ask "if brand X was good". He asked which was the best. And that necessitates comparison between kits.

All of the kits mentioned are better than stock, that's for certain. But in my opinion none of them are perfect. I have driven with the Roush, Saleen, FRPP and various pieced-together setups (some good and some awful)and I have provided my commentary on the pros and cons of each kit in the earlier thread that I linked to. There is a lot of great input from other "suspension gurus" like F1fan and others..

Here is my suggested "kit". This will carve corners around the Saleen/Roush/FRPP packages:

Coil springs:Roush or Steeda Ultralite or Eibach Pro-Kit
Shocks: Toicko D-Spec
Rear Sway Bar: Steeda or BMR (STOCK front sway bar)
BMR or Spohn Adjustable Panhard Bar
BMR Panhard Bar Brace (optional,but if you can afford it, throw it in)
BMR Adjustable "Street" Lower control arms
Camber Bolts
LCA relocation brackets (BMR or Steeda)

And this long post discusses each part in turn: https://mustangforums.com/m_1696246/tm.htm#1700694
Old 02-16-2007, 06:28 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

From everythingI have read, the FRPP springs are made by Steeda. We all know FRPP farms out everything they offer as there is no "real" FRPP production plant. For instance FRPP axle backs have so far been Borla and Mac. They do pick products that meet their standards (which are pretty high)and re-badge them. I have the FRPP springs and am in love with them. I got them for less than Steeda's or Eibach's and the blue color works very nice with my car. I have replaced nearly all of my suspension component with the exception of the stock struts and shocks. I have ALL poly bushings,adjustable upper and tubular lower CA's. BMR udjustable panhard bar, Drop LCA brackets, removed factory front and rear sway bars and use BMR heavy duty ones front and rear, and aluminum drive shaft. I have a CHE tubular front X-member bracewith torque controllers that i have not installed yet. You should get the idea that I focused a lot on my suspension. Stock struts and shocks have worked great for me with the FRPP springs. Gee, I almost sound like an add for Crazy Al's prefered set up without the struts and shocks.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:34 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

FRPP are Eiback i believe, not for certain though.