Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Shocks/Struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:20 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Shocks/Struts

XXDerek - If you decide to go Pro-Kit, you can't beat the price on the ones I'm selling on Ebay right now...bidding starts at $150 with free shipping! Either way good luck in your pursuit. Kevin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...:IT&ih=008
Old 04-21-2008, 02:33 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

The pro kit is not low at all. I should have got the sportline.

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

ORIGINAL: xxDerek

So, I know there is a lot of posts about this, but here's for me. My stang is a DD, and I'm going to be lowering it with the eibach pro-kit soon. I already know i need new shocks/struts, however, I was told by a lot of people that I don't need something as flashy as the tokico D-Specs ( expensive ) because I don't hit the track at all, I may one day, but never a lot. I'm thinking purely about street use. I've had some people suggest the Tokico HP's, and the FRPP shocks/struts. Anyone have any good things to say about these, or which one I should get rather than the other, and where is the best price for them? Thanks!
Hi xxDerek,

I'm gonna tell you that for a DD your choices are most likely going to be better met with taller ride height springs and double adjustable dampers. Seriously, you should consider the Steeda or H&R Sport springsunless you live where is does not snow and the roads are really smooth and you never have to drive through sharp driveways or dips. Even if you have a stock sized full height 27"+ tall tire you will bepretty low on Eibach Pro-Kit springsand your doors willhave a hard time not scraping on the curb. Trust me I had a set of them for many months and was swaping different springs in and out to see what was possible.Ultimately I came to the Steeda Competition springs and found them tohave a very good spring rate and pretty good ride but too much ride height for the spring rate. While I liked the handling feel of thevery low CG of the Pro-Kit springsthe spring rate curve designhas the spring rate rising too late inthe suspension travel to prevent the car from bottoming out on a regular basis. It's not too bad but it happens none the less.

Anywho, whoever told you that you don't "need" D-Specs is very short sighted. There is nothing "flashy" about the D-Spec dampers if you are serious about handlingand or having the ability to adjust your car's ride for street duty or longdistance driving. A lot of people I have consulted with have simply installed D-Specs along with a set of Eibach Camber boltskeeping their stock springs and found a tremendous improvement in ride, handlingand body control with no other changes other thana more sportingalignment. The difference between a set of D-Specs and the less expensiveblue Tokico dampers is not just money. The lower model Tokico dampers are not just non-adjustable they are also not made as well nor are they as well finished and use a simpler internal design. Why try to save a few bucks onsomething you have to use every day for the next several years? The difference in cost per day is nothing so why suffer inferior dampers that cannot be adjusted to meet your present and future needs? That isvery short sighted and represents apoor value in my opinion. But of course they are cheap and if cheap is important to you by all means buy the less expensive dampers and try to rationalize your unhappiness with them for th next few years while you save up to buy what you needed in the first place.

The FRPP performance dampers are very poor riding. The FRPP dampers suffer fromsome the same issues the stock Mustang GTdampers do, way to heavily damped in compression which is the cause of the poor ride and tire chatter overany sort of rough surface. For track use they are O.K. but still not as welldevelopedas I would have imagined given the information and technical resources they have access to.The FRPPsprings are simply the Eibach Pro-Kit springs and anti-roll bars put into a box labledFRPP. They are even marked with Eibach's logo and regular catalog part numbers. The FRPP Suspension Pak is not any less expensive than carefully selected suspension parts from other vendors and comes with parts you get to pay for that you really don't need or want like the Strut-Tie-Bar. Pick carefully and you can build up a good suspension kit that is better then the FRPP kit and no more expensive to buy or install.

HTH!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:52 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackS197
The pro kit is not low at all. I should have got the sportline.
Hi blackS197,

Did you do the install yourself or have a perfromance shop who know S197 Mustangs install them for you? How you installsprings on the S197 chassis makes a difference in final ride height.What wheel and tire sizes are you running? If you bought after market wheels and tires chances are you pretty good that the shop you bought them from sold you a shorter tire than the OE. sized235/55x17 or comperable 255/45x18 tires. This gives even alowered car the appearance of being not lowered because of the largergaps between the tops of the tires and the fender arches. If your car is riding on tires anyshorter than27" tallthereare no springs short enough except forSportlines or equivalent lowering springsthat willfill the wheel wells due to the too small tires used.

FYI these are the only 27" tall tire sizes appropriate for theS197 chassis: 235/55x17, 255/45x18, 285/40x18, 255/40x19, 285/35x19, 255/35x20, 285/30x20. You have to read the manufactures specs as even though these sizes are tire industry standard sizes that calculate to 27" there is some variation ot tire dimensions even within a particular size tire and if you are close to rubbing due to offset or mechanical issues like struts or other suspension parts you need to verify with the tire manufactures.

That said you can make your tires fill your wheel wells very full with the right wheel and tire combinations. I'm running Saleen PJ wheels that are 9"x19" ET30 in front and 10"x19" ET50 at the rear with Goodyear F1 A/S 275/40x19 all around and the wheel wells are absolutely stuffedfull of tire front and rear. My car is as low as I can set the spring seats on Steeda coilovers with 250lb. springs in fornt and 200lb. springs at the rear with out the springs being loose in the seatsat full droop.The car looks very low but is notlow in terms of ground clearance due to the taller wheel and tire combination.

HTH!