Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Cooling For Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:54 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cooling For Rear Brakes

one guy had the quarter window louvers with ducting routed to his rear brakes
Old 08-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Thanks for the heads up Slaya. Your going to give me white knuckles :-) I saw one of the videos of a Vette going off at turn 10, scary, it didn't look like he did anything wrong. Ill be sure to take it easy.

When you going to Summit again. I signed up for the SCCA event on Sept 6th.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread Sleeper.
Yeah, sorry about the thread-jack, Sleeper. Hmmm, we need a sticky for track reports...

You will have a blast at VIR. Here's one of my in-car clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ODVaGNzOek

And another of my spin in the rain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6OVg-9bd_c

I was supposed to be at Summit Aug. 23-24 with NASA, but just had to cancel. I'm looking for a mid-September event, but otherwise will be back in October and November with NASA.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I've done a spin like that in AX, its amazing how quick the rear end will come around - everything is fine and BAM, completely out of control.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

I had a couple similar spins earlier this year at Grattan (Michigan) in he rain. I found third gear to be real tricky when the track is wet. You can maintain enough speed to get things interesting and there is lots of torque in that gear. I didn't have the camera going during the rain so I don't have them saved for all to see (much to my son's disappointment) .

Where did you get the tow rings and how difficult are they to mount/install? I'm thinking about getting some after having to push a vette out of a ditch because he didn't have anything to hook onto last time I was at Waterford Hills. I've been pushing it harder this year and had my first dry track spin plus a couple tracks have gravel traps that make it difficult to pull a car out without them. Not saying I'm going in any mind you...
Old 08-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Luckily it was a no damage, non-issue type of spin. 100% driver errorI was getting a little impatient behind the Honda and wanted to get clear of him ASAP on the back straight. Lesson learned.

I got my tow rings direct from Multimatic last year (http://www.multimatic.com/index.shtml), but Ford Racing may sell them now. You have to call to order them. And I agree, they are the mod you hope you never have to use.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:51 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Great thread. Mod:+1 for the sticky for track reports. I'd love to see a thread per track (Summit, Mid Ohio, .....).

Back on topic. I'm getting a set of A47 back window ducts and tucking them under my quarter window covers (OMG functional scoops!) Not in a big hurry though. My first track outing didn't overly heat the brakes either front or rear. (I'm sure it will get worse as I get better).
Old 08-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

I've seen drag racers use window ducts for differential cooling (not sure if they were Agent 47). It's a pretty hard core mod however if you car is a daily driver. You will have to cut the rear deck and the floor to run ducts plus you'll always see the duct tubing. I'd always be worried about water leaking at the floor, where the duct tube attaches to the panel (window delete) and around the new panel its self. They do look sweet however.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Thanks or the tips on the quarter window vents. Looks like an effective way to go but as suggested probably a bit too hard core for a DD, especially in the snow.

I'll see what Import_slaya's pictures look like when he gets a chance.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

[/quote]

Yeah, sorry about the thread-jack, Sleeper. Hmmm, we need a sticky for track reports...

You will have a blast at VIR. Here's one of my in-car clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ODVaGNzOek

And another of my spin in the rain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6OVg-9bd_c

I was supposed to be at Summit Aug. 23-24 with NASA, but just had to cancel. I'm looking for a mid-September event, but otherwise will be back in October and November with NASA.
[/quote]

I agree we need a sticky thread for track reports and videos!

Great video of VIR. Was that the full 3.27 mile course? Just out of curiosity how much does an event cost and how much track time do you get?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper_08

Was that the full 3.27 mile course? Just out of curiosity how much does an event cost and how much track time do you get?
Yep, that's the full course. The "grand" course adds another half mile or so my looping into the infield more. With NASA, the full weekend is now up to $330. This includes 3x 20-25 minute sessions per day on Saturday and Sunday. You also get an instructor, but once you scare them enough they let you go solo. [sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]