Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lets talk about Watts-link suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:29 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

Would a Watts link offer any benefit at the drag strip? I don't have any autocross events near my house so I'm stuck to the strip. I want my car the handle the DD curves as well as it does now or better. However I need more traction in a straight line. Also, sometimes I'd like the car to ride a little smoother, but thats not real important. What should I be looking at suspension wise? Would a Watts benefit me any or is it for curves only?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Truthfully, until now I'd never stopped to consider that there might be any straight-line performance benefits resulting from a WL. But there might be a couple of little ones. It is a little heavier overall without adding much unsprung weight, but all of that weight is essentially right over the rear tires. And when the car squats on launch, there won't be any lateral forces applied to the tires from the squat motion so you should have a tiny bit more forward grip to work with. Let me emphasize the word "tiny", as I'm seeing maybe 0.020 seconds/couple of feet win margin (but at a slower trap speed) in an acceleration simulation considering only the weight/weight distribution differences. Looks like the weight distribution benefits the ET while the greater total weight hurts the top end, as might be expected. So it's there, at least theoretically, though it'll get lost in the "noise" for anybody who can't run consistent times as it is.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-24-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 PM
eric6913
2nd Gear Member

anyone have any thoughts on the griggs racing setup? i saw no one even mentioned it. just curious......
Old 01-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The Griggs set-up is designed for racing, so is VERY strong.

I was going to install it, but didn't want to lose a chunk of my spare tire well (required on the SN95/New Edge rides). This is NOT an issue for the S197, so you can run any one of a number of WL's and fit w/o issue on stock exhaust. If you want race-proven, time-tested and have the money.... go Griggs. You want what a nice WL that will offer the same function at a far lower price... I would recommend the Fays2. Don't get me wrong, I could not be happier with the Griggs suspension I run as my car is unbelievable in the twisties and deals with less than spectacular road conditions beautifully. The ONLY thing I would change....will change... is the PHB as it does not have the funtion I would like.

I have done TONS of research and not read one negative thing about it, the company or the customer service that Jim Fay himself provides. I will, one day soon, get the courage to cut my PHB off of my ride and install my own (the Fays for the New Edge anyway)

JTC
Old 01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
eric6913
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
The Griggs set-up is designed for racing, so is VERY strong.

I was going to install it, but didn't want to lose a chunk of my spare tire well (required on the SN95/New Edge rides). This is NOT an issue for the S197, so you can run any one of a number of WL's and fit w/o issue on stock exhaust. If you want race-proven, time-tested and have the money.... go Griggs. You want what a nice WL that will offer the same function at a far lower price... I would recommend the Fays2. Don't get me wrong, I could not be happier with the Griggs suspension I run as my car is unbelievable in the twisties and deals with less than spectacular road conditions beautifully. The ONLY thing I would change....will change... is the PHB as it does not have the funtion I would like.

I have done TONS of research and not read one negative thing about it, the company or the customer service that Jim Fay himself provides. I will, one day soon, get the courage to cut my PHB off of my ride and install my own (the Fays for the New Edge anyway)

JTC
yeah, and you know what is funny, is that the Watts from Griggs is cheaper that the SMS Watts............
Old 03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Well I made up my mind and yesterday ordered a FAYS2 Watt's link from Sam. It will be installed on my car before my first track day in late Aapril/early June. I'll let you all know what I think about it.

In addition to the FAYS2 I'm also swapping out the Steeda poly/poly LCAs for UMI poly/rod LCAs and a set of Sam's front end sway bar links but hopefully the effect of these changes will be very small compared to effect of the FAYS2.

Yes I know I should only change one thing at a time but want to do it all at once before the season starts.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Well I made up my mind and yesterday ordered a FAYS2 Watt's link from Sam. It will be installed on my car before my first track day in late Aapril/early June. I'll let you all know what I think about it.

In addition to the FAYS2 I'm also swapping out the Steeda poly/poly LCAs for UMI poly/rod LCAs and a set of Sam's front end sway bar links but hopefully the effect of these changes will be very small compared to effect of the FAYS2.

Yes I know I should only change one thing at a time but want to do it all at once before the season starts.
SWEET - you are going to turn that thing in to an all out track beast before long. What's next - roll bar, seats and harnesses?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
SWEET - you are going to turn that thing in to an all out track beast before long. What's next - roll bar, seats and harnesses?
No money left in the mods budget for this year but next year maybe roll bar, harnesses and an MGW shifter - provided I don't blow anything up or hit something this year!

Every day driving back and forth to work I get reminded about the old adage - "It is a lot more fun driving a slow car fast than driving a fast car slow"