Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Couple of install questions : camber bolts and dust cover.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:45 PM
pwrl3ss
2nd Gear Member

Default Couple of install questions : camber bolts and dust cover.

Hi all,

Looking at TacoBill's write up, he shows the isolator/dust cover being pulled off the stock spring and moved over to the new one; is this necessary? What does that cover exactly do? I'm trying to keep the install as "simple" as possible by not having to disassemble the factory strut and just "preinstalling" the new springs to my new struts (got a new mount too).

Also, I don't see it in his write up but where would the camber bolts be put into place?

Thanks

Last edited by pwrl3ss; 04-17-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:55 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Camber bolts, you replace one of the 2 knuckle bolts with one of the camber bolts.
I put a camber bolt in the top hole of the two; others use the bottom hole.

The cover will keep dust and water away or reduce how much hits the shock seal. Required? probably not. I put them on mine though.
If you dont want to dissassemble the stock setup to get them off, check around, you should be able to find some from someone. I might even have a set.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:09 PM
BMRFabricationSales
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pwrl3ss
Hi all,

Looking at TacoBill's write up, he shows the isolator/dust cover being pulled off the stock spring and moved over to the new one; is this necessary? What does that cover exactly do? I'm trying to keep the install as "simple" as possible by not having to disassemble the factory strut and just "preinstalling" the new springs to my new struts (got a new mount too).

Also, I don't see it in his write up but where would the camber bolts be put into place?

Thanks
Hello, Tokico suggest reusing the dust cover from your factory strut. Ive seen people not use them and never have any issues. If you use camber bolts we suggest using the bottom hole but as tx_zstang stated either hole will work. If you have any other questions please let me know.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Dineau
2nd Gear Member

Why the bottom hole, every instructions, including the ones that came with the bolts suggests the top hole ?
Old 04-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

I went for about a week w/o installing the dust boot, but after making a post here I decided to put it back just in case. My observations were when I pulled everything apart was that the exposed strut really didn't even pickup and dirt in the week it was off so I doubt it would really make that much difference if you left it off. Besides, it boot is open on the bottom and sits a good couple of inches off the lip of the strut that the springs sit on. Honestly if I had known this before I reinstalled my front suspension to put the boot on I would probably have said the hell with it. Really the only reason I did it was b/c it's a all year car and I didn't want the sand and salt to take the chance of degrading the seals in the struts.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dineau
Why the bottom hole, every instructions, including the ones that came with the bolts suggests the top hole ?
X2. Top strut hole FTMFW!