Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Mustang VS Camaro/Jones VS Donahue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
The September 2009 issue of Automobile Magazine it has an interesting article with a track test of a 2010 Mustang driven by PJ Jones versus a 2010 Camaro SS driven by David Donahue.

At least it was interesting for someone old enough to remember the orginal Mustang/Jones versus Camaro/Donahue battles.
Portland International Raceway has vintage races every July. There's usually a big contingent of ex-Trans Am cars. A couple years ago Parnelli Jones and George Follmer were both in attendance with their 1970 Trans Am winning Boss 302's. If you get a chance go to a vintage race sometime. Alot of the original Trans Am series cars are usually there. It's awesome to see those old war horses blasting around a road course. I went to see the original Trans Am series races as a kid, it's still as exciting even at 9/10ths.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ken04
Portland International Raceway has vintage races every July. There's usually a big contingent of ex-Trans Am cars. A couple years ago Parnelli Jones and George Follmer were both in attendance with their 1970 Trans Am winning Boss 302's. If you get a chance go to a vintage race sometime. Alot of the original Trans Am series cars are usually there. It's awesome to see those old war horses blasting around a road course. I went to see the original Trans Am series races as a kid, it's still as exciting even at 9/10ths.
I was lucky enough to go to Laguna Seca a few years ago for the Monterey Historic Races. Sitting in the stands as a herd of about 40 Trans Am cars charged towards us was absolutely overwhelming. Some of them were also being driven well beyond 9/10 ths as it was a no holds barred race!

On the same trip we rented a V6 Mustang convertible and drove it over as much of the Bullitt chase route as we could find in San Francisco.

Now if I could just afford to take my 08 out to Laguna Seca for a track day
Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I've been watching the GM guys' heartache over wheel/tire combos over on LS1Tech. The LS3 is one hell of a powerplant and if I see the rest of the chassis come up to snuff I'll jump on one of those cars... fast. They just can't seem to figure out the new 20'' wheel/tires options and are amazed at tire sizing/prices. I told them to thank us S197 guys for even having a drag radial available in 20'' size . Most are trying to fit 18'' wheels/tires then complaining that it doesn't "look" good. sound familiar?
Old 08-15-2009, 05:58 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I finally got to read the article. It makes me laugh to think the 3500lb Mustang, which I've always thought is way to heavy, is the featherweight here. I'm realizing more and more that weight is a killer.

I just read that a race team out of Texas is going to campaign the new Camaro in the Koni Challenge series (which has a couple of Mustang teams in it...in fact one of them won at Barber last month). They are sure going to need to lighten that car up to be competitive. But then again, the car is being prepped by Riley so it will be good I'm sure.

The LS3 has thus far not proved to be reliable on the track, at least in near stock form. The Corvettes in T1 have blown up several of them, oil starvation issues. They need to be dry sumped to handle the high G-forces.