Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Curiosity on Shocks/Struts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:29 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Yep. You can do just the shocks first. It'll feel weird, that's for sure, but you can drive it just fine. Like 808muscle said, the Strange 10-way adjustable shocks and struts work well, and we sell them at www.uprproducts.com
How come it will feel weird though?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
Rear is planted, front end floats. That's what you'll (temporarily) have if you upgrade the shocks, but not the struts.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:47 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Rear is planted, front end floats. That's what you'll (temporarily) have if you upgrade the shocks, but not the struts.
Yup...what UPRSharad said. The struts are needed as well. Just the rears will help but it'll feel a little bit weird.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Hey guys. Quick question. Got 85k miles on my Stang now. Dropped her about 5k miles ago or so on Ford Racing K Springs 1.5 inch all around. The struts/shocks are stock oem. Ride quality is fine, but could be better obviously.
If you were only at 15k miles or so, I'd say go ahead and swap only the rear shocks. But you're up in the mileage range where there is enough reason to replace them as a matter of normal maintenance even with the OE springs, so I'd absolutely do all four.

Part of the reason your ride quality is what it is, is because the dampers (aka your shocks and struts) aren't providing anywhere near as much damping as they did when they had only a few thousand miles on them. You feel suspension movement less (arguably a good thing), but the car is moving around on its suspension more (not so good).

Norm
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Did you leave the front end home anytime over those miles? They have as much wear at the rears.

When you install dampers at one end only, you not only are putting new ones on that aren't worn and weaker, but also when you aren't putting a matched set on you have what can be HUGELY different valving on them at each end.

Think of it this way. Dress shoe on one foot, winter boot on the other. Both are shoes, one has better traction, one is warmer, one looks nicer. Same with tires... yeah all round and black but if you've EVER run good tires at one end and crappy ones (or stock ones) at the other the difference is obvious unless you are just driving down Main St at 20 mph.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

How long do aftermarket Shock/Struts last? I know my factory ones were completely shot at 20k miles.

Do I need to think about replacing my STR.T's in a few miles?...and what's the deal with Koni adjustables being rebuildable? It's clearly evident when a shock or strut just stops working, but what about its performance degrading over a period of time?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

A long time. Not built to a fit a cheap price, and if they fail they have a lifetime warranty. Now you might decide at some point you'd like more damping from your struts and shocks but that doesn't make them "bad", and it's what Koni Sport give.

Of course like anything, things can fail. You might break on, but as far as them being shot @ 20k like the OEM's that won't happen.