Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

FR3 handling pack on GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: FR3 handling pack on GT500?

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

ORIGINAL: Legion5

ORIGINAL: funtimesalways

ok, just makin sure i wasnt seeing things, but if i score that gt500 today or this week sometime, will that handeling pack fit? or does steeda make one for the gt500? ive read pretty good things on steedas stuff
It will definitly fit. Ford is lazy so the GT500 didn't get any handeling upgrades because it was planned on them, but it also uses the same platform as the GT because they were equally lazy, as such everything is a direct bolt on. I've seen GT500's with rims and the handeling pack and they look great.
legion 5....absolutely no disrespect intended with what I am about to say...so please do not take it as such...BUT....do you own a gt500? if so ..did you own a s197 gt prior to it.
how can you say a statement as that..[sm=dontgetit.gif]..THE GT500 definitely has handling upgrades over the stock gt. without going into a part by part breakdown as well as an explanation of sport tuned suspension over standard tuned suspension.. I can comfortably say the GT500 in deed has an upgraded suspension and handling package over the gt. is it the BEST...absolutely not...is there room for improvement...absolutely.......

Like I said the GT500 didn't have handeling upgrades planed into on it in the design. When it went to final production the spring rates and tires were tuned for it's weight and market segment, but the company alone has no say in the engineering specs of how the car will be TUNED.

Ford did not give handeling upgrades to the GT500 the tuner did.

As far as Ford is concerned they made a car that has the same handeling capabilities of the Mustang GT and this means that it can share basic suspension components with that car. Furthermore Ford as I said because they used the same platform too as the GT, and they shared it between the two cars, also ended up with a GT500 that has same attachment points as all their mustangs the parts. Therefore the OP can install GT parts because Ford redesigned and changed nothing in the GT500 besides the engine system, trim and guages. Your car handles better because the tuner with or without the advice of Ford made it that way, but the GT500 is far from perfect, it's no Cobra i agree. shame on that.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

I'm no mechanic so I'll describe what I see as best I can...There are some <<bars and ****>> under the GT500's suspensionthat are not present under my regular GT.
This detailed examination leads me to believe the two suspensions are not the same.

ORIGINAL: funtimesalways

ok, just makin sure i wasnt seeing things, but if i score that gt500 today or this week sometime, will that handeling pack fit? or does steeda make one for the gt500? ive read pretty good things on steedas stuff
It will definitly fit. Ford is lazy so the GT500 didn't get any handeling upgrades because it was planned on them, but it also uses the same platform as the GT because they were equally lazy, as such everything is a direct bolt on. I've seen GT500's with rims and the handeling pack and they look great.
legion 5....absolutely no disrespect intended with what I am about to say...so please do not take it as such...BUT....do you own a gt500? if so ..did you own a s197 gt prior to it.
how can you say a statement as that..[sm=dontgetit.gif]..THE GT500 definitely has handling upgrades over the stock gt. without going into a part by part breakdown as well as an explanation of sport tuned suspension over standard tuned suspension.. I can comfortably say the GT500 in deed has an upgraded suspension and handling package over the gt. is it the BEST...absolutely not...is there room for improvement...absolutely.......

Like I said the GT500 didn't have handeling upgrades planed into on it in the design. When it went to final production the spring rates and tires were tuned for it's weight and market segment, but the company alone has no say in the engineering specs of how the car will be TUNED.

As far as Ford is concerned they made a car that has the same handeling capabilities of the Mustang GT and this means that it can share basic suspension components with that car. Furthermore Ford as I said because they used the same platform too as the GT, and they shared it between the two cars, also ended up with a GT500 that has same attachment points as all their mustangs the parts. Therefore the OP can install GT parts because Ford redesigned and changed nothing in the GT500 besides the engine system, trim and guages. Your car handles better because the tuner with or without the advice of Ford made it that way, but the GT500 is far from perfect, it's no Cobra i agree. shame on that.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:33 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

NOPE!![sm=wakeup.gif] You are dead wrong sir!!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:58 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ok....but that contradicts what you stated earlier saying that the gt500 didnt get ANY handling upgrades...when they clearly did....handling is more than just a spring here or a shock there....its tuning..its strut bars,,,its improved LCA and panhard bars..its extra torque control stabilizers as well as tuning and BRAKES....all of those aforementioned areas ARE INDEED upgraded on the gt500 in comparison to the gt....now back to the OP...yes you can use parts that were designed for upgrading a GT...however I would reccommend researching a little more and getting the facts on WHAT you are replacing and what you are trying to accomplish..dont replace supsension parts based on a whim...KNOW what you are replacing and why....as I stated earlier the gt500 could use a few upgrades at suspension...if you so choose...but the same can be said for any vehicle...you need to map your goal and what you want to do with your vehicle as based on YOUR usage the suspension upgrades will differ greatly..are you upgrading for
A: Dragracing
B: Cross country racing
C: Daily drivability
etc etc....once you decide why you want to upgrade...then you can reasearch and find out what you need...to just change parts for the sake of changing them could possibly make your suspension WORSE if you dont know what youa re trying to accomplish....good luck to the OP...reasearch and find out what you want...
Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ok....but that contradicts what you stated earlier saying that the gt500 didnt get ANY handling upgrades...when they clearly did....handling is more than just a spring here or a shock there....its tuning..its strut bars,,,its improved LCA and panhard bars..its extra torque control stabilizers as well as tuning and BRAKES....all of those aforementioned areas ARE INDEED upgraded on the gt500 in comparison to the gt.... The GT500 did not get handeling upgrades over the GT, it was just modified , and what have nothing to do with my idea that GT and GT500 suspention is bassically the same because Ford is lazy

now back to the OP...yes you can use parts that were designed for upgrading a GT...however I would reccommend researching a little more and getting the facts on WHAT you are replacing and what you are trying to accomplish..dont replace supsension parts based on a whim...KNOW what you are replacing and why....as I stated earlier the gt500 could use a few upgrades at suspension...if you so choose...but the same can be said for any vehicle...you need to map your goal and what you want to do with your vehicle as based on YOUR usage the suspension upgrades will differ greatly..are you upgrading for
etc etc....once you decide why you want to upgrade...then you can reasearch and find out what you need...to just change parts for the sake of changing them could possibly make your suspension WORSE if you dont know what youa re trying to accomplish....good luck to the OP...reasearch and find out what you want...

Ford is lazy so the GT500 didn't get any handeling upgrades
because it was planned on them.

Ok. Those dont contradict each other at all. Considering all cars must go 6 months at the Ford Michigan proving grounds before they are released to the public, and this is where the GT500 got its better handling in full not in part (which had nothing to do with Ford but was outsourced to some guy), the only way Ford could be lazy is by not redesigning any suspention geometry or changing control arm length etc. Which is exactly what happened at Ford. No additional time was spent putting different suspension bits into the GT500 at Ford as they can"t adjust their funding/effort to the tuner nor control of what he does and tuning was all the GT500 got suspension wise. Chassis wise which is part of handeling did get a redesign though, but that was done in the Mustang GT program in anticipation of the GT500 and was not part of the GT500 design as it was already done.

Brakes are NOT handling uprades, though they were planed into the GT500 by Ford. Handeling is how well a car takes a corner or launches from a drag strip. Let me be a little more blunt overall though s this is getting past the scope of being obvious to you and such:

Ford was lazy so they did nothing to the car suspention wise that a very average mustang enthusiast in their garage couldn"t install in a few hours with a spring compressor and standard euipment like jacks and tools. Furthermore they were lazy enough to unify to lower tortion/higher strength chassis in 2006 for the GT and the GT500 meaning there are no clearance issues between the two car"s suspention parts.

I"m not saying I don"t like the GT500, I just don"t see how you"re disagreeing with me. What I am saying is what actually happened. It"s also important to understand for OP.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:36 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ok....but that contradicts what you stated earlier saying that the gt500 didnt get ANY handling upgrades...when they clearly did....handling is more than just a spring here or a shock there....its tuning..its strut bars,,,its improved LCA and panhard bars..its extra torque control stabilizers as well as tuning and BRAKES....all of those aforementioned areas ARE INDEED upgraded on the gt500 in comparison to the gt.... The GT500 did not get handeling upgrades over the GT, it was just modified , and what have nothing to do with my idea that GT and GT500 suspention is bassically the same because Ford is lazy

now back to the OP...yes you can use parts that were designed for upgrading a GT...however I would reccommend researching a little more and getting the facts on WHAT you are replacing and what you are trying to accomplish..dont replace supsension parts based on a whim...KNOW what you are replacing and why....as I stated earlier the gt500 could use a few upgrades at suspension...if you so choose...but the same can be said for any vehicle...you need to map your goal and what you want to do with your vehicle as based on YOUR usage the suspension upgrades will differ greatly..are you upgrading for

Ford is lazy so the GT500 didn't get any handeling upgrades
because it was planned on them.

Ok. Those dont contradict each other at all. Considering all cars must go 6 months at the Ford Michigan proving grounds before they are released to the public, and this is where the GT500 got its better handling in full not in part (which had nothing to do with Ford but was outsourced to some guy), the only way Ford could be lazy is by not redesigning any suspention geometry or changing control arm length etc. Which is exactly what happened at Ford. No additional time was spent putting different suspension bits into the GT500 at Ford as they can"t adjust their funding/effort to the tuner nor control of what he does and tuning was all the GT500 got suspension wise. Chassis wise which is part of handeling did get a redesign though, but that was done in the Mustang GT program in anticipation of the GT500 and was not part of the GT500 design as it was already done.

Brakes are NOT handling uprades, though they were planed into the GT500 by Ford. Handeling is how well a car takes a corner or launches from a drag strip. Let me be a little more blunt overall though s this is getting past the scope of being obvious to you and such:

Ford was lazy so they did nothing to the car suspention wise that a very average mustang enthusiast in their garage couldn"t install in a few hours with a spring compressor and standard euipment like jacks and tools. Furthermore they were lazy enough to unify to lower tortion/higher strength chassis in 2006 for the GT and the GT500 meaning there are no clearance issues between the two car"s suspention parts.

I"m not saying I don"t like the GT500, I just don"t see how you"re disagreeing with me. What I am saying is what actually happened. It"s also important to understand for OP.

Ok I get it now....so the ability of a car to brake and how it brakeshas no bearing on how it handles.....hmmm really???
I am not going to take up anymore of the OP time with a disagreement between you and I : I will just leave it at agree to disagree...albeit I am right....

OP: regardless of what some others have said here and on other posts that they choose to forget (I wont mention any names, you can all figure it out) the GT500 suspension and handling is NOT THE SAME as the Stock mustang GT.
you can use the upgrade you asked about in yoursecond post, however, make sure you are getting it for the right reasons... make sure you know what your goal is before you do it. as some here can attest to ,,,,tinkering with the suspension on these cars can be beneficial and detrimental to your goals. good luck....
Old 06-22-2008, 12:13 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

after seeing what the dam bank wanted for a downpayment, i decided just to use half of what they wanted and just get that 500hp whipple from from, have them install it, all done for 7200$. (they wanted a 20k down payment) right, i have that just sitting my coin holders