Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Well I Bought It!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Yep! 'Cause Lord knows there aren't many left out there! But that's a whole other topic.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Ok. She's finally installed! Started Saturday and finished it last night. I installed the Ford Racing canned tune this morning. Could've done it last night, but a couple of letters in the VIN were transposed, and the instructions boldly say NOT to start the programming if the VIN doesn't match. I called Ford Racing this morning to tell 'em about the mismatch, but they gave me the green light to go ahead and program it. I figured it would be okay since the transposed letters were for the manufacturer and model year(?). But better safe than sorry.

Anyways... The install wasn't "difficult," but very frustrating at points. A word to the wise, DO NOT remove the driver side fuel rail! Unless you have pancakes for hands with snakelike fingers, it's nigh impossible to get the clip back on the rear fuel injector. I left it off. I'll take it to the dealership and let them break out a specialized tool to put it back on. The only purpose I can see that it serves is to keep the injector from spinning around. And those little orange clips on the injectors; I broke one and lost another. I pressurized the fuel system and checked for leaks. None detected.

Issue #2: There's a bolt all the way at the back of the supercharger on the driver side that has to be pre-installed a little bit. I did that, but I should've screwed it down a little more. Once the supercharger is dropped in place, that bolt is impossible to reach. Even the instructions say it's not reachable and to tighten it down as best you can. LOL Since I don't have a full Snap-on tool chest w/ funky angled wrenches, it's still loose. The other nine are accessible and fully torque-able.

Issue #3: That dang tube that connects the exhaust manifold to the EGR solenoid!!!!!!! I spent who knows how many hours total trying to get that stupid thing on! AND the EGR solenoid. Those were hands down the absolute worst to work with. A tip; install the EGR solenoid with just the one bolt on the firewall side and leave it loose. Connect the tube to the exhaust manifold first, then connect it to the EGR solenoid. Also, be sure to get the connector wires pulled out of the wiring harness! I didn't, and I'm sure that's what caused a good portion of my headaches with that. The harness was in the way.

Outside of those issues, the install wasn't so bad. I recommend getting some weight training in before you try doing it by yourself. The supercharger isn't exactly light. Thankfully, I do weight train! LOL Imagine holding 50 - 60 pounds straight out in front of you and having to hold it steady. Now tip that weight away from you so that it is back-heavy. Now tip your balance forward by 2 feet or so! So yeah. :-|

Now on to what you really want to know. How does it feel?!?! Honestly, it doesn't feel all that much stronger than stock! But wait! The reason it doesn't feel all that much stronger is because blowing on the accelerator pedal breaks the rear tires loose. Doesn't matter what speed. I'm gonna need new tires real quick!! LOL According to Ford Racing literature about the programming, the throttle response is supposed to be better than stock. I disagree. It actually feels more sluggish than stock (for me; more on that later.) For a little while, I thought something was wrong, but I wasn't hearing any misfires, knocks or pings, and it didn't feel like it was stuttering. Just didn't feel as strong off boost as it did stock. Hit the go pedal, though, and the boost gauge immediately pegs past 15psi!!

I took it out for a quick driveability test around town and on the freeway. You'd never know it has 750HP (I hope. Going to the dyno later today.) Other than feeling more sluggish on initial take off, off-boost, it's fine. Now about that sluggish feeling. I'm hearing more and more that my car seems to be particularly "strong" stock. Most folks are only dyno-ing 480HP consistently at the wheels. I dynoed over 500HP consistently at the wheels. Maybe my engine builder team put some special sauce in the programming that day? Anyway... The blower is louder, but not obnoxious. I can hear it all the time now, even off boost. The intake and exhaust tone/note are different; slightly louder, but not as sweet sounding as stock. Ford SVT did an excellent job tuning the sound. I'll miss it for sure.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:48 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

CONGRATS!!!! Pics please!!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:50 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Very disappointing dyno runs today. Even w/ icing down the blower, she only made 680HP at the wheels. I forgot to grab a copy of the runs before I left. I'll pick it up tomorrow. After getting hot, she was only making in the 620's, I believe. Ford Racing definitely went super conservative on the canned tune. I see an aftermarket tune in my future.

(edit)
Correction:
I picked up the dyno sheet. She had a spike of 690HP at the wheels on her best run. I still might get a tune done later on. Depends on if somebody comes along and smokes me or stays too close on a highway run. LOL

Last edited by GT Premi; 11-12-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:50 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Finished install pix:
Attached Thumbnails Well I Bought It!-img00164-20101109-0824.jpg   Well I Bought It!-img00162-20101109-0823.jpg  

Last edited by GT Premi; 11-12-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Congrats. What would the dealer charge as I have trouble with a flathead screwdriver?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:13 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

LOL! I checked w/ my dealer first. I got a rough estimate of at least $400 plus incidentals.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:31 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

ONLY 680?! I'm getting dyno'd sunday, and I'm hoping for just 300!! lol
Old 11-12-2010, 05:44 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

LOL! Touche'. I guess I'm "disappointed" because I spent a lot of money and time for it. I'm sure it's just a conservative tune, but I wonder if they gave me the wrong tune. I mean, how can I go from just a 40-something HP drivetrain loss to a 130-something HP drivetrain loss?? Seems crazy to me.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

I would feel the same way. My money is on the tune