General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Undercoat questions. Please help I’m don’t have enough mechanical knowledge.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:39 AM
Matthew Slicker

Default Undercoat questions. Please help I’m don’t have enough mechanical knowledge.

Hello all, I just recently got my first Mustang and first car I really care about. I’m planning on applying an undercoating because I live in the north and get a lot of snow and therefore salted roads. My question is not about what undercoating to use I already have one picked out. My problem is I keep hearing people say not to get the undercoating on certain places like anything that gets too hot. Well I’m not a mechanic I’ve only ever done small regular maintenance type stuff like oil changes and spark plugs and filters. Other than the exhaust pipes I don’t know what’s too hot to undercoat. Please can you help me identify which parts should not be under coated whether because they get too hot or for any other reason? Thank you for your time.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:03 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

You can get professional undercoating, or, thoroughly clean the underside, and
use a rubberized undercoating. The most expensive is FlexSeal, that's what I
use. There is also a chassis paint, that goes on thick... You can roll that on
almost anywhere.

I think there are still some Ziebart places around, I show two within 20 miles of
me, so something I may even consider... I can afford it now...
http://www.ziebart.com/find-my-local.../pittsburgh-pa

http://www.ziebart.com/auto-care-ser...ust-protection
Old 08-13-2018, 06:15 PM
Matthew Slicker

Default Undercoat

thanks but I’m already planning on doing it myself and already have the undercoating I’m using. What I really need is to know exactly which parts not to undercoat because I’ve been told not to coat parts that get too hot cause it’ll burn most of it off as well as if there are any other parts underneath that shouldn’t be coated
Old 08-13-2018, 06:40 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

You are only doing the chassis, not parts... You won't get to all the chassis anyway,
with heat shields in the way, trans mount, rear axle & suspension, mufflers, any plastics...

If it were to be done right, it has to all come off so you can coat the entire underside
of the car. You won't get up behind the trans, or all above the drive-shaft, above the
gas tank, so you're only partially coating the underside. All that crap has to come off
to do it properly. However, the way places like Ziebart do it, is they have spray wands
that can get where you can't with a roller, brush, or spray can; and they do the entire
undercarriage. Even if they have tons of over-spray, doesn't hurt anything.

I have had no issues with heat, you don't apply it TO the mufflers or exhaust, or the heat
shields, only the undercarriage. Parts of the underside get hot, but not like the item that's
causing the heat. That's why there are heat shields, so the chassis doesn't get as hot as
the exhaust.

It's not going to be what you want it to be... You can only get at what you can see...
Old 08-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Matthew Slicker

Default Undercoat

Yea I know all that already and your really not understanding my question so this forum is really just a waste of space .
Old 08-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

Sorry Matt- I don't think you are understanding the answers.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Matthew Slicker
Yea I know all that already and your really not understanding my question so this forum is really just a waste of space .
Trying reading more slowly. 08Mustang answered your question on what not to coat.... We don't offer spoon feeding.