Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

so i played with an LS1 last week...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Default so i played with an LS1 last week...

i was going to look at Jeep in a town @ 25min away, and to get there, you have to go over this little mountain thats real twisty and has some horsheshoe turns. its GREAT. anyway, i was heading over, and saw this LS1 Trans-am(non-WS6) in front of me. going up this side of it, i always gear down to 4th at the base of the mountain, a) because i like the sound of my car and b) its a long ascent up. so, i look in front of this car and theres 2 feed trucks heading up. i slide into the left lane. well, here comes the T/A. he gets over. we pass the trucks, he gets back over into the right lane and starts slowing down. i didnt realize what he was doing until i got up beside him and he geared down to 3rd. well, i had to. i also went to 3rd and we were off. i didnt see below 75mph going up, and he didnt pull one car on me the whole way up. a) theyre supposed to handle better and b) i KNOW he has more power than me. im probably @ 260hp if im lucky-cold-air, bbk shorties, h-pipe and 2.5" flowmaster 2-chambers, march underdrives and bumped timing. no big deal. shouldnt he have pulled on me ?? or could he just not drive maybe ? he couldnt even stay in his own lane. i never crossed lanes....whats the deal ? is the almighty LS1 not as almighty as everybody thinks they are ?? just wondering. im saying he couldnt drive. or was afraid of the car...just wanted to share though. it was fun. i enjoyed it.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:32 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Default RE: so i played with an LS1 last week...

Well it's not really a race per say if your not side by side. You can't gauge the difference in two cars unless your both lined up.........Unless of course he takes off super fast, and you do the same but blow past him. At that point I think you can assume your faster. But since that wasn't the case I think you'de need a side by side to find out the truth.

Sounds like fun though!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:34 PM
cacimar
5th Gear Member

Old 01-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Mustangs have good torque, so maybe that helped alot since you guys were going up hill. On the other hand, there really is no way of knowinghow much throttle he was giving it, or what gear he was trying to pull in.Sounds like fun though.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:46 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

Yeah, probably not too familiar with the car. The T/A's ( WS6's even more so) can hug a curve, if you know what I mean.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Blk5.0

Yeah, probably not too familiar with the car. The T/A's ( WS6's even more so) can hug a curve, if you know what I mean.

thats kinda what i was thinking, unless he was just toying with me, which i really hope he was, cuz if he was actually trying, something was SERIOUSLY wrong with the car.

and ripped, i tried lining up beside him on the other side when it went back to a 4-lane, but he didnt bite. i was hoping he would. i dont care if lose. i just like racing a fellow V8. haha.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:10 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stone629

Mustangs have good torque, so maybe that helped alot since you guys were going up hill. On the other hand, there really is no way of knowing how much throttle he was giving it, or what gear he was trying to pull in. Sounds like fun though.
That would be true if you guys made more ...he had the advantage in the torque department too... and his 'advantage' started at around 1000rpm. ha ha..

I agree...it does sound like fun...

If the guy is anything like me I won't risk wrecking my car even though I am having some fun... I've had similar situations happen (350Z behind me on some on/off ramps, highway, etc)... I went 100% when we lined up and were on the highway but the off/on ramps was just playing... I was a bit nervous pulling 70+mph through the 25mph rated ramps as it was....couldn't imagine pushing too hard and ending up in the morgue/hospitol. I am definately cautious when it comes to playing around like that... and I know I am not the only one out there.