Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Run with a B20B turbo swapped hatch

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:53 AM
SubTexel
3rd Gear Member

Default Run with a B20B turbo swapped hatch

Well the other night I had my first run in with a turbo'd Honda (model I'm not sure of, though the guy said he had a B20B swap, and it was turbo'd with a 60 trim (could hear him doing his BOV thing to get me to race... it worked lol).

Went from a 25mph roll (dude wouldn't stop lol) and he brake boosted it (I was at his rear quarter panel) he pulled about 1 car ahead and started to honk I honked back at him to try and let him know I wanted to line up evenly with him lol, he took that as go ahead.

So anyhow, race went from 25 - 140ish. He got the hit, my car hooked ok, on street tires and it was 48 degrees out or so, spun a bit when I hit wot. I stopped his pull (though at this point I was a bit worried lol) and walked by him pretty hard. I killed it at around 140 with him quite a ways back (ended up he let out of it once I walked by him, with me ahead by 4 CLs he said).

We pulled over and talked, guy was cool and told me what he had (his car was gutted, looked nicely done on the outside though) and he told me to tell him my car wasn't stock I told him what I had, and he seemed a lot happier, said he hasn't lost yet in his car, etc... Though, he said his car was only on about 280whp and he runs low 12s in the 1/4 (he had DRs on the front during the run). Does that sound right at all?

At any rate, the little ****er hung with me from the top of 1st through the top of second (by at least 1 car) before I started walking away at a pretty fast and steady rate.

Shouldn't a 60 trim 2.0 liter be putting out more than that? With him being gutted and all that jazz it doesn't surprise me he put up a fight, but the HP numbers he said seem a bit down on power.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SubTexel
ended up he let out of it once I walked by him, with me ahead by 4 CLs he said
Funny, I initially read that as cylinders LOL, guess either way is correct

Nice kill, FI gutted Civic hatches can be force to reckon with.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

Low 12's seem about right for a gutted hatch with around 280whp. The power seems about right for a stock internal b20 motor. B20 motors aren't known to be the best for turboing as they are non vtec and can't rev as high as a b16 or b18c1 or c5, and have weaker sleeves. They are also geared longer than the trannys that come with the other motors which hurts performance. Lots of guys running b20s will add a vtec head to it to give it a little more pep. The good thing is B20s are relitivley cheap, and 280 whp is pretty fun for the street in those cars.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:54 AM
SubTexel
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Turbo Integra
Low 12's seem about right for a gutted hatch with around 280whp. The power seems about right for a stock internal b20 motor. B20 motors aren't known to be the best for turboing as they are non vtec and can't rev as high as a b16 or b18c1 or c5, and have weaker sleeves. They are also geared longer than the trannys that come with the other motors which hurts performance. Lots of guys running b20s will add a vtec head to it to give it a little more pep. The good thing is B20s are relitivley cheap, and 280 whp is pretty fun for the street in those cars.
Awesome, just the info I was looking for. He said it was a built B20B, with the 60 trim pushing the 280whp (maybe he is just running low boost or something). It got up and moved that's for sure, and it sure as hell would catch a ton of cars off guard (it did me lol).

Car looked pretty well put together, sounded like a god damn chain saw when he hit it though lol. He asked for a rematch and told me to hit it when he did, problem was he hit it when we was about 4 car lengths behind him (we turned onto a road and he shot ahead) two times in a row lol, so I didn't get on it (did the first time but spun real bad, didn't bother with it the second time around with him so far ahead).
Old 04-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

Yeah if he's built that's kinda low on power. The thing is with the B20s is from what I've read can only take about 300whp and be safe (obviously some do more) on stock sleeves, so unless he took care of that, doing rods and pistons really didn't help him out because there are pleanty of b20 Vtec guys doing 300 on stock bottom ends. And if he did sleeve it, then he is deffinalty down on power, LOL. This sleeve thing is one of the reasons that B18 series is so popular as they can handle a little over 500whp on stock sleeves and can rev higher.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM
SubTexel
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Turbo Integra
Yeah if he's built that's kinda low on power. The thing is with the B20s is from what I've read can only take about 300whp and be safe (obviously some do more) on stock sleeves, so unless he took care of that, doing rods and pistons really didn't help him out because there are pleanty of b20 Vtec guys doing 300 on stock bottom ends. And if he did sleeve it, then he is deffinalty down on power, LOL. This sleeve thing is one of the reasons that B18 series is so popular as they can handle a little over 500whp on stock sleeves and can rev higher.
haha kind of figured as much. Thanks for the info man.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like most of the youtubes videos I've seen. Ricer starts one length ahead and nails it first and is effectively driving a race car on the street (no interior). Glad to see despite all that you won.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:21 PM
SubTexel
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
Sounds like most of the youtubes videos I've seen. Ricer starts one length ahead and nails it first and is effectively driving a race car on the street (no interior). Glad to see despite all that you won.
Heh it's all cool, I think dude mistook my 2 honks after his one honk as a sign to hit it (I was honking to tell him to slow down so we could line up). Guy was pretty good.

Anyhow, guy posted his specs on a local forum:

-B20B bone stock
-GSR transmission
-stage 3 clutch
-lightweight flywheel
-sidewinder equal length manifold,external wastegate.greddy bov
-50 trim clipped and balanced turbo
-RC 550 injector
-WALBRO 255
-CROME ECU tune off ERNIES supercharged and turbocharged LS
-TURBOSMART boost controller

Quite a bit different from what I remember him telling me, I swear I heard him say 60 trim, and built motor.

What does that net people usually RTI?
Old 04-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
Yeah, because every one who drives an import is a ricer...

Originally Posted by SubTexel
Heh it's all cool, I think dude mistook my 2 honks after his one honk as a sign to hit it (I was honking to tell him to slow down so we could line up). Guy was pretty good.

Anyhow, guy posted his specs on a local forum:

-B20B bone stock
-GSR transmission
-stage 3 clutch
-lightweight flywheel
-sidewinder equal length manifold,external wastegate.greddy bov
-50 trim clipped and balanced turbo
-RC 550 injector
-WALBRO 255
-CROME ECU tune off ERNIES supercharged and turbocharged LS
-TURBOSMART boost controller

Quite a bit different from what I remember him telling me, I swear I heard him say 60 trim, and built motor.

What does that net people usually RTI?
I'd say him saying 280 would be about right, but without knowing what A/R the turbo is and how much boost it would be hard to say, and I'm not an expert. I'd say most likely not more than a little over 300 because of the stock internals.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:51 AM
Pohatu18
2nd Gear Member

I personally like the BFF1437.5R swap but.... nice runs I havent ran into any imports like this. Seen a couple at the track look like stock little imports and light those tires up like no other!