SVT Forums

Compound Boost Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 PM
DarkDigital
2nd Gear Member

I have bought a Borg Warner ST-78 T4 1.10a/r Turbo with 6 blade lightened wheel.

Also got my eaton race ported as well as the plen and tb ported.
I picked up Velocitys Stage 3 Heat Exchanger as well as their Heat Shield Gaskets & Pads.

Previously I was still running the 4# lower pulley from my eaton+nitrous combo and purchased a stock crank pulley to put on so the eaton runs at the stock 8 psi instead of the ~12 it was before.

I upgraded to 80# injectors from the 60s I had before. I was kinda going up on the edge of the 60s and I've had so many fuel problems in the past I just didnt want to deal with it.

I had some of my exhaust re-worked and it's a little cleaner and has less bends now.
The solid axle I had was fixed up and working great as well.
I'm looking to have some steeda full lengths installed before the dyno but it may end up having to wait till after, dunno yet.

I had the turbo built by a guy that's a turbo engineer and told him about my setup and my power expectations.
I also filled out turbonetics turbo sizer form and both parties agreed on a very similiar size turbo.

The Borg Warner ST-78 is a brand new turbo design. It's a extremely large volume turbo with a 1250hp rating. I also opted to have it built with the 6 blade lightened wheel which is supposed to greatly reduce spool time on a turbo that is already built to spool fast.

My build goals are to see 800rwhp at 18psi on 93 pump gas with power at 3400rpm and going right to redline.
I expect to see very good tq off the line and big power on the top end with tq falling off after ~5000rpm to give way to hp.

To sum it up I'm looking at a car that should weigh ~3400#s with a well built solid and a nice set of rims and tires that should make 800rwhp.
If everything goes as expected I plan to be at the dyno by the end of the week.

My current mod list is in the image below.

So as I said I ordered a race port from posi performance.
I also bought some heat shield pads and some new technology from velocity performance that they have engineered into their gaskets for the intercooler, supercharger, and lower intake.
The gaskets prevent heat transfer as do the blankets and isolate the lower intake from the engine, the supercharger from the lower intake, and the intercooler from the supercharger so that each piece doesnt get heat soaked from the engine and the intercooler and better do its job.

I had bought a shell previously to send out for porting so I didnt have any down time as the process usually takes a couple weeks because of shipping.
I got my shell back and tore apart my stock charger to swap the rotors and everything over.
I also had posi port a stock plenum and send it to me. I'm going to do a light port job on my throttle body myself here.

I also tossed on the 80# injectors while I had everything apart.

Anyways on to the pictures, if you have a 03/04 and want to upgrade I highly suggest you go to svtperformances terminator "how-to" section for great write ups with exact specs. This is mostly just a picture gallery with no real purpose =)

http://velocityturbosystems.com/shop...x.php?cPath=71
http://posiperformance.com/

I'm still working on everything so I'll add more pictures as I go.

Also as explained earlier I bought the Velocity Stage 3 Heat Exchanger & Bracket Kit.
Took a little while to get it since it's hand made but I wasnt in a rush and wanted the biggest and best product on the market.

I had a afco dual pass before and bent it all to **** when I ate a curb so I decided to grab this beast.
My turbo doesnt have a heat exchanger so the eatons intercooler has to do all the work, I figured I needed all the help I could get cooling them both down so that's why I went with this option. I just didnt see another afco cutting the mustard since it doesnt even sustain a ported and pullied eaton without heat soak.

The install wasnt too bad. Similar to installing a big turbo intercooler on these cars.
I had to cut the bumper bar in half to allow better air flow since this thing is so big and I didnt want it dragging on the ground. (Current height is exactly at the bottom of the bumper right at the top of the chin spoiler aka 13"s from the bottom of the headlight bracket.)

The next most tasking thing was moving the power steering cooler that sits between the heat exchanger and radiator normally to another location.
I choose to let it sit on top of the heat exchanger secured with tie straps and it seems to work fine there. It only took a few moments to release the pressure clamps and move the lines up then re attach everything.

I also had to swing my coolant lines over since the afco has the in and out on the same side and this one is like a radiator with them at the top and bottom corners on apposing sides.

All in all it went on fairly hassle free and is extremely sturdy. I put all my weight on it leaning forward and did a few push ups on the sides and it didnt even feel like it wanted to budge.

I'm waiting till my bigger turbo comes in later this week before I put the bumper back on and then I'll take pics with bumper on.
Enjoy.

http://velocityturbosystems.com/shop...x.php?cPath=71

Old 02-18-2010, 09:04 PM
DarkDigital
2nd Gear Member

So as most who reads the thread knows I installed the velocity stg 3 h/e and posis race port this week.
Well I also decided to put on my pacers & MTs now that I grabbed a new set of springs to keep them from rubbing.

I also got the turbo in today and installed it. Needed some cutting here and there to make it fit.
Depending on how you look at it it looks crooked but it's just slightly angled to the center of the car. Not a lot I can do about that unless I wanted to cut and rotate the T4 flange, but that's another battle for another day.
Sadly I had it all together and went to put on the V-band for the downpipe and realised the turbo has a 4.5" / 4-5/8ths OD flange and my dp is a 4" OD.. sigh.. so I called one of the local shops and they said they'd cut it and weld on the right flange size tommorow.. oh well disaster evoided lol.

Got it dyno'd on wed and made great power but I had a big problem with boost drop off at higher rpm. I bought a electronic boost controller and gonna do a little exhaust work then take it back and we should be able to make ~750-800 at ~19psi.
The real good news is after 4 real hard back to back pulls my intake temps were only 107* which was great.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
mfj
Banned

So what power did it make then? I don't know, but I'd be worried with engine reliability at that point. The stock pistons, although forged, are not that fantastic and running that hp on 93 just doesn't seem very good, imho. Good luck though. I hope I'm wrong...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:51 PM
DarkDigital
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfj
So what power did it make then? I don't know, but I'd be worried with engine reliability at that point. The stock pistons, although forged, are not that fantastic and running that hp on 93 just doesn't seem very good, imho. Good luck though. I hope I'm wrong...
Plenty of people running 700-800 on stock engine for a long time.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:06 AM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by DarkDigital
Plenty of people running 700-800 on stock engine for a long time.
Not on a compound boost set up. Where is your IAT sensor placed? Also, I asked you what power did it happen to make? I understand that it's not at it's full potential right now, but what power did it make?

Last edited by mfj; 02-19-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Fobra
Banned

+ 1 mfj... less than 800, and more like 700-750.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 PM
mfj
Banned

I don't know, but I'm really not liking the way that kit was put together. I mean, your turbo isn't even intercooled. So basically, you got HOT air coming out from the turbo, and getting heated up even more from the eaton... I forsee Mr. Detonation visiting you very shortly...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:19 PM
DarkDigital
2nd Gear Member

IAT2s were at 107 like I said. That's lower the most twin screws and eatons. I highly doubt there will be any problems.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:25 PM
mfj
Banned

Post up a dynosheet please...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Fobra
Banned

Lets face it, the bragging rights of compound is cool... but functional, no. So heres an idea, and ive seen it done before, pull the rotors from the eaton, and let it just free spin for looks... even though this wouldnt be an ideal intake or intercooler setup, I bet you would be alot happier with the performance difference.

Quick Reply: Compound Boost Setup