The Racers Bench Is the track just too much for you? Want to know what will beat what? Talk about it here!!

Advice on next ride, SS is gone, looking for 12s

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:32 AM
1.5LofFury
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S8ER01Z
Honestly suprised you say that... to be honest even after the cam my LS1 feels rather weak. When I hop in a stock LT1 I still get the sensation it's going to rip my car apart... I would have expected the Mach 1 to 'feel' a bit more stout (that said I've never been in an M1).
it's the torque peaking @ 2500rpm vs 3600rpm.

LT1's just build torque down low. idk, even with heads and cam on mine, it still feels like it's kicking your *** from idle. i've driven LS1 cars, and they seem to accelerate with much less ferocity.

before i bought my LT1, i had test driven a stock '98 B4C with 3.23 gears. it just didn't feel that fast. i mean ya, it got up to speed really quick, but it just didn't feel like it was accelerating that fast. my LT1, feels like you're getting forcibly shoved forwards when you hit it, even when stock.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Honestly suprised you say that... to be honest even after the cam my LS1 feels rather weak. When I hop in a stock LT1 I still get the sensation it's going to rip my car apart... I would have expected the Mach 1 to 'feel' a bit more stout (that said I've never been in an M1).
In reality, they are a drivers race. Most will give the edge to the LS1, and most of the time the LS1 will edge out a Mach, but from my experience its not the Mach's fault, but the driver's failure to shift at the proper RPM. Not only that, but there seem to be more automatic LS1s out there than M6s, and most Machs are manual, so 9/10 times the Mach is going to need more driver mod than the A4 LS1.

About how they (Mach and SS) feel, they build power completely differently. An LS1 makes more torque much sooner, but then it feels like it levels off and just gives that steady not so exciting pull, whereas a Mach builds up with the revs, and gives that sensation of pulling harder and harder the faster you go. A few people have rode in this Camaro and told me it doesn't feel as fast as my TBSS or previous Machs, and I agree it doesn't.... but that doesn't mean it isn't. I'm just ready to get it on the track and prove its capability.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1.5LofFury

LT1's just build torque down low. idk, even with heads and cam on mine, it still feels like it's kicking your *** from idle. i've driven LS1 cars, and they seem to accelerate with much less ferocity.

before i bought my LT1, i had test driven a stock '98 B4C with 3.23 gears. it just didn't feel that fast. i mean ya, it got up to speed really quick, but it just didn't feel like it was accelerating that fast. my LT1, feels like you're getting forcibly shoved forwards when you hit it, even when stock.
You stated it much more clearly than I did, lol. "Seat of the pants feel" has always been a deceiving thing. IMO, it's what sells cars though, and has a everything to do with why so many Mustangs have been sold compared to its competition.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:58 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
You stated it much more clearly than I did, lol. "Seat of the pants feel" has always been a deceiving thing. IMO, it's what sells cars though, and has a everything to do with why so many Mustangs have been sold compared to its competition.
Yeah. Mustangs have the best SOTP feel. My buddy's near stock 04 GT feels like it's fast from a 1st gear punch, when my Camaros don't feel like much. But, both cars would slaughter his.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1.5LofFury

I did the same thing.. drove a 98 and my 95 back to back..and I bought the LT1.. (I was an idiot ).
Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I did the same thing.. drove a 98 and my 95 back to back..and I bought the LT1.. (I was an idiot ).
Ouch.

Live and learn man. Gotta start making mistakes somewhere in order to figure it out.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

About how they (Mach and SS) feel, they build power completely differently. An LS1 makes more torque much sooner, but then it feels like it levels off and just gives that steady not so exciting pull, whereas a Mach builds up with the revs, and gives that sensation of pulling harder and harder the faster you go. A few people have rode in this Camaro and told me it doesn't feel as fast as my TBSS or previous Machs, and I agree it doesn't.... but that doesn't mean it isn't. I'm just ready to get it on the track and prove its capability.
Thats what I was after. Performance wise I agree they are are about on par.. though I still think I could beat all but the best drivers of M1 cars with an M6 LS1 car (stock vs stock). I guess I missed what you were getting at when I replied.. I figured the M1 felt much stronger up top than the LS1 despite power differences and such.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM
tspence45
4th Gear Member

I'm not gonna lie, I've had more fun in my LT1 than either of my LS1 cars. Well, atleast when the Trans Am still had an LS1. Not after the LQ4 swap though. I've never had as much fun with any car as that. lol
Old 07-29-2011, 01:05 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Ouch.

Live and learn man. Gotta start making mistakes somewhere in order to figure it out.
Yeah.. 3K difference in price too.. I really kicked myself hard over that one.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Thats what I was after. Performance wise I agree they are are about on par.. though I still think I could beat all but the best drivers of M1 cars with an M6 LS1 car (stock vs stock). I guess I missed what you were getting at when I replied.. I figured the M1 felt much stronger up top than the LS1 despite power differences and such.
Machs are good about giving you all the sensations of hauling ***, and they are quick, but I agree the LS1 tends to have a MPH and a tenth over the Mach every time. I'm glad to be back in an LS1 to be honest. Easier NA power imo.

You should go test drive the hell out of a couple Machs sometime.

I love this vid, neither are 100% stock, but imo their mods even it out. Hard to find vids where the Mach is driven like a pro however, hence loving this one, hehe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS8vpGHMZBM

Last edited by Stone629; 07-29-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice on next ride, SS is gone, looking for 12s