V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

This might be a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 PM
ScottXL
2nd Gear Member

Default This might be a problem...

[1998 V6 Coupe]

My car's exhaust smells really bad. I'm not talking about when you bend over and take a whiff. I drove to a friend's house today to give him some money, and I opened my door, and the smell just overwhelmed me. Also, it randomly starts to kinda of sputter. It'll kind of jerk forward a few times, not a big jerk, just a little. I don't loose power, or RPM. I have no clue what it is. I have the Fuel Injector cleaner in my tank, and I'm about 3/8th of my tank left, and it's still doing it.

Could it be I have a bad injector? I also have a 'Check Engine' light on. The person I bought it from said it's been on forever, she went to the shop and they said it was an electronic error that doesn't really need to be fixed. I'm gunna get it fixed whenever I can. But, maybe the light's for the injector?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:06 PM
WhitePony02
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: This might be a problem...

I'm no expert on singleports, but I know that the head gaskets blow fairly easily.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...wn_head_gasket

The first answer says "white colored or sweet smelling exhaust."

I did a "find" for smell on the page, and a few results came up. If its sweet smelling, you're not going to be happy.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:41 PM
ScottXL
2nd Gear Member

What the hell is "sweet smelling"?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:46 PM
WhitePony02
3rd Gear Member

No clue, lol I'm not even sure if your nose can distinguish between sweet, sour, bitter..oh well, just look at that page and look in your engine for some of those signs.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:49 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

Does it smell like rank BO or a portapotty, or does it smell like cotten candy. Bitter - sweet
Old 07-19-2007, 10:53 PM
ScottXL
2nd Gear Member

Nah. None of those. You can't see anything coming out of the exhaust. Nor do I feel any real performance loss... or coolant over-flow. Infact, my engine runs pretty cool.

And I can't really describe the smell. It just smells.... bad.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:29 AM
MantaDreams
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScottXL

A blown head gasket dumping coolant into the chamber, boiling in the combustion process, and exiting the exhaust has a "sweet smell." Hard to explain unless you smell it for yourself... its just the best way to describe it. And the best way to know for sure is using the two other symptoms: white puffing smoke (steam), and unexplained loss in coolant, although sometimes the coolant leak can be so slight that it doesn't have enough vapor to condense into the white smoke.

It is a completely different smell than uncombusted gasoline, or burning oil.

I don't know what the OP means by a really awful smell, a really bad smell. I never thought of any smell as being really bad, or really good, although burnt oil tends to make me nauseas.

To help the OP, need a few more clues. Color of smoke, if any, operating conditions causing the smell.

Or buy a code reader and read the code. "Just an electronic error" please, that mechanic was not doing you any favors.

There are a number of codes for injector faults, but an injector is just a on/off valve for fuel to be sprayed right in front of the intake valve.Might be the answer if you consider gasoline smell as "reaally bad."

When you say you have a bad smell as soon as you exit the vehicle, sounds like you have some dead animal (or other foreign material) baking on your exhaust.

A cat cooking on your cat. Not a pretty picture.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Cmpfreak88
3rd Gear Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

I actually had a friend who called me once telling me her car was making meowing noises... I told her to pop the hood and try and look to see if maybe a belt was slipping or something when I hear her open the hood and she screams, "Oh my God, Tigger!" (Her cat's name)
Old 07-20-2007, 12:46 AM
ScottXL
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MantaDreams

ORIGINAL: ScottXL

A blown head gasket dumping coolant into the chamber, boiling in the combustion process, and exiting the exhaust has a "sweet smell." Hard to explain unless you smell it for yourself... its just the best way to describe it. And the best way to know for sure is using the two other symptoms: white puffing smoke (steam), and unexplained loss in coolant, although sometimes the coolant leak can be so slight that it doesn't have enough vapor to condense into the white smoke.

It is a completely different smell than uncombusted gasoline, or burning oil.

I don't know what the OP means by a really awful smell, a really bad smell. I never thought of any smell as being really bad, or really good, although burnt oil tends to make me nauseas.

To help the OP, need a few more clues. Color of smoke, if any, operating conditions causing the smell.

Or buy a code reader and read the code. "Just an electronic error" please, that mechanic was not doing you any favors.

There are a number of codes for injector faults, but an injector is just a on/off valve for fuel to be sprayed right in front of the intake valve.Might be the answer if you consider gasoline smell as "reaally bad."

When you say you have a bad smell as soon as you exit the vehicle, sounds like you have some dead animal (or other foreign material) baking on your exhaust.

A cat cooking on your cat. Not a pretty picture.
Haha, thanks. I found this post humorous and helpful.

I haven't gotten any codes for it yet. I just wanted to see if anyone could figure it out.

As for the smoke: there is none. A while ago it let out one really really light gray puff of smoke... and that's it. I don't think I'm losing any coolant, and it does kind of smell like burning oil.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:03 AM
ScottXL
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cmpfreak88

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

I actually had a friend who called me once telling me her car was making meowing noises... I told her to pop the hood and try and look to see if maybe a belt was slipping or something when I hear her open the hood and she screams, "Oh my God, Tigger!" (Her cat's name)
I LOL'D! [sm=smiley20.gif]