Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

All plugged up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 12:35 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Default All plugged up!

OK guys...need advice, 06 Vert Mustang...what is a good set of plugs & wires? Doesn't it come w/ standard platinum plugs & 8mm wires?...does anyone have any suggestions on a good performance replacement on both wires & plugs?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:07 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: All plugged up!

JBA makes some but I was told that they would give no performance unless you have the part of parts that the light shines down on! lol The bolt on of all bolt ons! that will give a smile from ear to ear! lol a Supercharger or a turbocharger. I was think about getting a pair but all the experts on here told me it wouldn't be the brightest thing to spend your money on since I have no major power adder.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:16 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Really...hmmmm, interesting...no power gain, maybe minimal? I was wondering if even going with the split plugs w/newer wires?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:21 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Save your money, plugs and wires aren't going to do much for a naturally aspirated car.

Your goal should be to eliminate any "bottlenecks" in the system, and at this point they aren't one.

You've opened up that exhaust, now you really need a CAI and tune to get more air in.

EDIT: just saw you have a K&N intake. Have you retuned? I know you don't have to, but it will be very beneficial to do so.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:25 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

No...I have not retuned...I can't swing $350+ for the tune unit...any advice on tunes..???
ORIGINAL: WindVeil05DropTop

Save your money, plugs and wires aren't going to do much for a naturally aspirated car.

Your goal should be to eliminate any "bottlenecks" in the system, and at this point they aren't one.

You've opened up that exhaust, now you really need a CAI and tune to get more air in.

EDIT: just saw you have a K&N intake. Have you retuned? I know you don't have to, but it will be very beneficial to do so.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:28 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

the handheld isnt all that great anyways unless u really know what ur doing. if u ever go the tune route, go get dyno tuned and ull see much better gains. alot of the GTs in here are putting 300ish to the wheels with an xpipe and dyno tune. I know a guy with a lincoln that gianed 40hp off a cai and custom dyno tune. id assume it would work for ur cars too
Old 05-02-2006, 01:31 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Great...any idea on how to find a local tune/dyno shop? I am in Tampa, FL...I would feel better taking the car & puting it in a Dyno...another ?...If I have it tuned and need to go back to dealer for warranty, will they see the tune & void warranty?

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

the handheld isnt all that great anyways unless u really know what ur doing. if u ever go the tune route, go get dyno tuned and ull see much better gains. alot of the GTs in here are putting 300ish to the wheels with an xpipe and dyno tune. I know a guy with a lincoln that gianed 40hp off a cai and custom dyno tune. id assume it would work for ur cars too
Old 05-03-2006, 12:40 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Even with the custom dynotune, you will still need a tuner/programmer. Different shops deal with different tuners and have their preferences. Personally, I use a Diablo Predator. I was running the 93 diablo tune with my mods and then had a local tuner that specializes in mustang and Diablo do a dynotune. That got me to 305 rwhp and 333 rwtq (n/a) on a mustang dyno which equates to around 354+ on a dynojet dyno. SpecterGT260's car is there right now getting a custom tune done. Diablo is based in Ft. Lauderdale and they have several authorized tuners in your area. Again, cost is a concern to you, so you are looking at $350 for a tuner with 3 canned tunes already loaded in it, and then another $400 give or take to have a custom tune done on a dyno.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:49 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Sounds cool...but isn't the Diablo strictly for GT's?
ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

Even with the custom dynotune, you will still need a tuner/programmer. Different shops deal with different tuners and have their preferences. Personally, I use a Diablo Predator. I was running the 93 diablo tune with my mods and then had a local tuner that specializes in mustang and Diablo do a dynotune. That got me to 305 rwhp and 333 rwtq (n/a) on a mustang dyno which equates to around 354+ on a dynojet dyno. SpecterGT260's car is there right now getting a custom tune done. Diablo is based in Ft. Lauderdale and they have several authorized tuners in your area. Again, cost is a concern to you, so you are looking at $350 for a tuner with 3 canned tunes already loaded in it, and then another $400 give or take to have a custom tune done on a dyno.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:35 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

No, not at all! They have programs for both the v6 and the GT. The tuner reads your cars numbers form the processor when you hook it up and loads the appropriate tune based on the processor.