Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Intake Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 01:14 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Intake Experiment

Sounds like your problem is in the MAF housing.

The V6 is 70mm. The GT 80mm.

Basically, your carputer thinks it's MAF is in a 70mm housing, when it's in an 80mm. Hence the computer thinks LESS air is coming in, than actually is. In turn the computer provides less gas, making your car run too lean, which throws the CEL.

Anytime you increase the diameter of your MAF housing, you're going to need a retune.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:53 PM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input Todd. Sorry, I just couldn't put Stupid in front of your name in spite of it being your chosen forum name. The X-Cal is my next step. I'm just waiting to get the complimentary first oil change at the dealership out of the way before ordering.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:56 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NewStangDude
Thanks for the input Todd. Sorry, I just couldn't put Stupid in front of your name in spite of it being your chosen forum name. The X-Cal is my next step. I'm just waiting to get the complimentary first oil change at the dealership out of the way before ordering.
Be cautious. You can't just buy an X-Cal and have this all work.

Because this is such a unique idea, there's very little chance that you can buy a canned tune for it.
Most likely you'd going to have to get the car customed tuned on a Dyno. (pricing on that can be $250-600 depending on tuner and mods)

To save you $$$ in the long run, you might want to look into buying an X-Cal/CAI kit combo with the X-Cal preprogrammed with the tune you need for your car.

That is unless you can find a tuner that will sell you a tune that already works with your setup.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:20 PM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

Thanks again for your input Todd.

That's what I was thinking. Where ever I buy the tuner from, I would explain my setup and see if they have a tune to accomodate such. You'd think that there are some running the GT airbox lid, or that the tuners themselves have experimented with a similar setup. I'll accept their advice as to whether or not it would be advisable to utilize my experimental setup, or switch to a known CAI. I'm thinking my setup would not be so different than a CAI that trips the CEL, therefore they could set the tune for that type system. If not then I'd have to choose between the combo package, or simply keep what I have now which is a notch above stock, but does not include the GT lid which seemed to be the source of the problem.