Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Performance Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 04:16 AM
apierini

Default Performance Upgrades

When I bought my mustang I was already to buy a gt, but a friend talked me into going to a repo auction,and I ended up buying a v6 with 4500 miles for 14,500. Which was too good of a deal to pass up
Recently I added an intercooled procharger, exhuast, headers, and a couple other things. I'm still unhappy with the performance. What else
can I do to improve performance? I've talked to super six motorsports and for around $6500 they can build me a powerfull engine. According to them with the
engine alone I should see a 50-75 hp increase, should I really expect an increase like this?

Now if I have a stronger engine how much boost can I run safely? I'm being told anywhere from 16- 24. Can the procharger produce that much boost?
I really dont know a whole lot about the mechanics of an engine so I really need some help trying to figure this out
Old 07-12-2006, 07:14 AM
flomoloko

Default RE: Performance Upgrades

You got those mods and you're unhappy? I have no mods and just did the throttle trick turning the key on, mashing the gas peddle, and turning the key off to get my throttle response back and I'm happy as a lark. You could always consider trading the car in for a GT, seems like you'de come out ahead since you got a good deal at the auction.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

What he said !!!!! What are you trying to accomplish with this car anyway? Was the work done properly? Mine is almost stock, minor exhaust and air filter mod and I am THRILLED with it. BTW, that sounds like a whale of a deal on your car.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Euronimous

I have never heard of this throttle trick that Flomoloko is talking about...Has any one else? What does it do? Where can I find more info on it. I wanna try!!
Thanks.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:09 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Euronimous

I have never heard of this throttle trick that Flomoloko is talking about...Has any one else? What does it do? Where can I find more info on it. I wanna try!!
Thanks.
As said before, you turn your key to the 'on' position (but don't start the car), push the gas pedal to the floor and release in a steady motion (not too quick, not too slow). Turn the key back to the off position.

Supposably this helps with throttle responce. I did this too (a long time ago). Can I say for sure if it actually did anything, or I just thought it helped cuz I was paying attention and hoping it would help? No. Did it hurt anything to try? No.

I think it is supposed to somehow tell the carputer how fast you normally push on the pedal. If you push faster than normal, the carputer senses that and opens up throttle quicker.

You may have to try several times adjusting how fast you push the pedal.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:17 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Ask SSM if they dyno'd the engine, that is what I am waiting for before I start messing with built motors. As for your goals, what are you comparing this to? A stock GT, you should have surpased that wtih your current setup, so I'm wondering if what would feed your need is a boosted GT. Have you run the car at the track? Whats she put down on the dyno?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:45 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

sounds like a troll.... anyone "unhappy" with a low 13 second car has got to be joking

Well if you arent a troll, u need a V8 + S/C

Old 07-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Rrruss
1st Gear Member

I believe when you do the key on throttle trick all you do is reset the throttle positioning sensor, and that it will eventually adjust itself back to where it was before you reset it, so the process is a temporary "fix" at best. Within 2 days of resetting mine it was back to the same old behavior (minor hesitation at takeoff).