Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Even faster at the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:31 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Even faster at the track

ORIGINAL: TJ

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: fazm

hrmmmm should i change my plugs? lol
lots of sites... here's one I found quickly...

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ead-plugs.html

Edited - skip the request below scrming I just found one (link) too confusing pictures 22-24 /to many pictures if you think its running lean I wouldn't rely on (per picture) the look of the plugs on a lean condition I would just take it in and get it checked.

http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

Scrming could you post a picture of a lean plug you might have handy from one of your web sites.

Actually the www.dansmc.com was the one I was gong to refer to also... LOL!

But yes, the best thing is some dyno time, with a bung hole and a wideband...
Old 09-06-2006, 11:13 AM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

You should see the plugs I took out of it!!! YECH So now I gotta spend more money on a wifeband and make a bunghole. ANd I wanted some crap to hang from my rear view mirror! BTW the ram air seals to the 1/2 box that came with the C&L so its open to the front of the car. Currently the ram air has lots of restrictions because the engine ancillaries stick up so high. I get no pinging, but my clue to maybe being lean is that the car won't idle with the big filter that came with the C&L. I can't wait to go faster and see what trouble I cause.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:40 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boss 244

You should see the plugs I took out of it!!! YECH So now I gotta spend more money on a wifeband and make a bunghole. ANd I wanted some crap to hang from my rear view mirror! BTW the ram air seals to the 1/2 box that came with the C&L so its open to the front of the car. Currently the ram air has lots of restrictions because the engine ancillaries stick up so high. I get no pinging, but my clue to maybe being lean is that the car won't idle with the big filter that came with the C&L. I can't wait to go faster and see what trouble I cause.

Boss 244 first off there already is a bung so no need to make one, second I really wouldn't pay $300..00 on a good wideband gauge for a N.A motor. I went to a couple speed shops in town with dynos and ask any dyno days ( = low cost dyno) coming up and one said yes on 9-24 $55.00 so I will get it done just as a safety check. I have even seen $25.00 dyno days and also free with some clubs. I would just check for few shops for dyno days or just pay the $75.00 - $100.00 sometimes you get up to 3 pulls for that and get it checked. You could also wait for lido's tune to come in and get the 3 pulls per $100.00 on your setup Micro,C&l, w/S&B and if you want to check Lido's on one of the pulls and your done no need for a wideband gauge IMO.

Could you post a picture of one of the spark plugs?

Old 09-06-2006, 01:20 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

I can take pictures tonight of each plug and tell you what cylinder they came out of. For the bunghole would I replace one of the oxygen sensors in the exhaust? I could just as easily get a Kit and install it, but I still wouldn't be able to change the AFR(you gotta realize how much money I've spent on this car already, and I bought it just to 'drive'.) I would rather spend 300 than waste (to me) 75-100 on a one time dyno, then have to go back if I change anything. Lidio is 3 hours from me on the other side of the state, although there are dynos closer.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:26 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

I can take pictures tonight of each plug and tell you what cylinder they came out of. For the bunghole would I replace one of the oxygen sensors in the exhaust? I could just as easily get a Kit and install it, but I still wouldn't be able to change the AFR(you gotta realize how much money I've spent on this car already, and I bought it just to 'drive'.) I would rather spend 300 than waste (to me) 75-100 on a one time dyno, then have to go back if I change anything. Lidio is 3 hours from me on the other side of the state, although there are dynos closer.
I would put in a new bung hole... the less you mes s with the 02 sensors the better... LOL!

A/F guage is probably a good investment for you...

oh.. and if anyone understands about dumping money into a car... ummmmm... it would be me... LOL!
Old 09-06-2006, 01:34 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

You got me beat for sure scrming!!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:21 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

I would put in a new bung hole... the less you mes s with the 02 sensors the better... LOL!

A/F guage is probably a good investment for you...

oh.. and if anyone understands about dumping money into a car... ummmmm... it would be me... LOL!

Scrming couple questions

Scrming could you explain to me how having a AEM wideband gauge and not the knowledge of a tuner or access to a dyno (vs data logging) he’s going to properly setup the tune and or change the AFR/tune along with changing other parameters (per different setup CAI, etc) needed for maximum performance.

(Getting it just close/sloppy IMO just isn’t what you want if looking for the best performance in a ¼ mile run, still going to need a dyno tune to set it up right.)

What does it hurt by just using 02 sensor bung hole for an AFR check on a dyno?

Take no offense scrming (or Boss 244) just want your opinion to the above.