Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Streetglow Underglow Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:07 PM
ST4NG
1st Gear Member

Default Streetglow Underglow Kit

I already know that most of you do not like these kits and find them "Ricy" however after obtaining an dealer account with streetglow they will be going on my 06 Mustang in order to demo them to customers.

The legal status of these lights seems to be a bit confusing, I am aware that it does vary by state, however it sounds like there is a work around. Many people have said that as long as the physical light is not visible to other motorists then it is legal. (Such as shielding the actual light from view, but still allowing it to produce a glow underneath the vehicle.) Of course the law only applies while the vehicle is in motion or on a public road.

I am located in Arizona, but if you know your local laws regarding these kits, please post.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:09 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Streetglow Underglow Kit

Flame suit on.....

But the legalites are NO lightsunderneath the car since it distracts other drivers Well thats NJ but i mean the law i think would not be different
Old 01-11-2007, 07:17 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Here you can use them in parking lots but nowhere else. I have blue ones that dont work anymore and got pulle dover while driving on the street with them. My uncle has red ones on his audi and he never gets pulled over drives with them everyday. Seems ike as long as its not distracting (which is basically only red) Youll be fine.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:37 PM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

First I would like to say that I love the look of my undercar kit. I have the OPTX by Streetglow all the way around included License Plate Frames and interior neon wire. I have pics posted in my album. I live in OH and i'm not sure of the law so i rarely use them when driving. Most of the states saw that they have to be red or white
Old 01-11-2007, 07:43 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

actually, i beleive in michigan (not sure, but i did hear this from a cop, so it is probably true) you cannot have red and a few other colors (can't remember). red because some cars have undercar lights that flash red slowly along with other lights for their emergency flashers. i think he may have said something about green and yellow too because of confusion with street lights and stuff, but im not positive about that...this was like three years ago, so it is kinda fuzzy, but i KNOW he said red was illegal.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:59 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

i think in nj u cant have any underbody lights period.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Sick Six
2nd Gear Member

I have the Street Glow gold series underglow and two 12" interior
lights (they are located so that they light up the floor board of the driver
and passenger) anyways I live in Texas. These are kinda one of those unwritten
laws, but up until last week I was unsure of the legalness of them. My Girlfriend
asked a local cop what the deal was with them and he told her he had to
ask a State Trooper about it recently and they said that they cannot be flashing
and you cannot be able to see the actual light bulb, only the glow emitted from them.
Needless to say if you have them its basically a big sign for cops that says LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!
So when you do drive with them on, don't step on it or do anything stupidcause therewill be
10x more cops watching you than they did just cause you drove a Mustang.

+1 about that flame suit........I can only imagine the **** this thread is gonna catch.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:55 PM
finch00
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete

Here you can use them in parking lots but nowhere else. I have blue ones that dont work anymore and got pulle dover while driving on the street with them. My uncle has red ones on his audi and he never gets pulled over drives with them everyday. Seems ike as long as its not distracting (which is basically only red) Youll be fine.
red is the least visable light to the human eye + most men are at least a little bit color blindand most women are not +the majority of cops are men = me jumping to conclusions.

i have no idea where bule falls green is the most visable.