Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Overriding the Auto-Dropping Door Windows?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:37 PM
06convert

Default Overriding the Auto-Dropping Door Windows?

Is there a way to override the way the windows drop automatically when you open and shut the doors on an 06? The other day we had a lot of snow come down and itfroze to the windows ofmy truck so they ended up frozen shut. Had I had the mustang out, I was thinking a fuse could have been blown while the windowwas trying to open or close with the ice build up. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:06 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Overriding the Auto-Dropping Door Windows?

Yep, you can do it. Don't remember how off the top of my head, but it's in the owner's manual.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:14 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Look in your owner's manual.

ORIGINAL: 06convert

Is there a way to override the way the windows drop automatically when you open and shut the doors on an 06? The other day we had a lot of snow come down and itfroze to the windows ofmy truck so they ended up frozen shut. Had I had the mustang out, I was thinking a fuse could have been blown while the windowwas trying to open or close with the ice build up. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Ronaele05
1st Gear Member

you prolly can but you dont wanna. If you do then when you open your door you might break your window. It does that to form a weather tight seal. If it doesn't drop it is up inside the door frame when you pull open then crack. And if it doesnt rasie you have a small gap for water and snow to enter.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:05 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ronaele05

you prolly can but you dont wanna. If you do then when you open your door you might break your window. It does that to form a weather tight seal. If it doesn't drop it is up inside the door frame when you pull open then crack. And if it doesnt rasie you have a small gap for water and snow to enter.
Having the window locked in the lower position (with the slight gap) is probably the best way to go. If the window freezes while the doors are closed and the window is full-up, it might break the window. But if you have it in the position with the slight gap, although there is that gap (and it's very small), the window still seals against the weather stripping on the car, so it's not like your car is open to the elements. It's just if it snows, it might build a little tiny bit of snow up in the gap, which you could solve by blowing the snow away before you open your door. Besides, there's still the bigger rubber piece that sits on the outside of the roof and over the top of the window, which will help to cover that gap from the weather.

And there is something in the book which mentions disabling the auto up/down windows in bad weather for the very reason of not burning out the window motor should things freeze up.

That said, I've left my windows just how they are (not disabling anything) and I've got through the past 3 months of snow, ice, cold temperatures, and even washing in the cold temperature and my windows haven't had any problems whatsoever as far as freezing in place or anything, so in my experience it isn't necessary at all.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:13 PM
06convert

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll look in the manual again for the override (didn't see it the first time), and consider what others have said about leaving a crack or leaving well enough alone.