Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2007 pony package

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:49 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 pony package

ORIGINAL: 07blackpony

I have a black 07 pony, no TCS, no ABS. . .just what I wanted. Got the price I wanted too ~ I love it. I even live in snow country ~ Massachusetts. I learned to drive in this junk on my first car (75 Maverick) . . .I hate ABS
I have to respect anyone who drove RWD vehicles when Ford was making the legendary Maverick. However, there's a reason Boeing has put ABS on every jet airplane they've ever made - because it can compensate faster than professionally-trained people. That's not quite a fair comparison, because there's no way to fly a 707 "by the seat of yer pants".

ABS has saved the seat of my pants on more than one occasion, and it's one option I won't buy a car without. I know that's contrary to what previous posters on this thread have said, but there's just no way I could stop faster than the computer on any of the Mustangs I've owned.

Maybe I'm one of those "general public" people that don't have the skill to work the brakes like an F1 driver, but there aren't too many people who can say they racked up over 420,000 in six years in the snowbelt (so, I'd say I'm better than I was almost 30 years ago, when I learned to drive)

I hate to hijack the thread, but would like to add an example: I was driving home from the local dirt track races about a month ago. It was about 11PM, so pitch black sky on a rural blacktop road.At the last possible moment,a deer ran out in front of us.

It was not moving fast enough that it was committed to one direction - it didn't seem to know which way to go. There was no way for me to swirve and miss, when I didn't know which way to swirve.

I hit the brakes, but so did the deer. In an instant, the situation went from easily survivable to "tenuous". I hit the brakes harder, increasing pressure as the deer stood in the middle of the road looking back at us. I could feel the ABS kick in - a moment, that without ABS, would've meant leaving two, possibly four, black streaks on the pavement. It gave me enough time and enough traction to do what I needed to do.

We missed that deer by a few feet, but not because I was such a great driver. Chalk another one up to ABS. I have issues with FWD people that claim it's safer than RWD, and I don't like to disagree with anyone who prefers RWD. But, with all due respect, I need to disagree just this once.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:14 PM
07blackpony

Default RE: 2007 pony package

I know how abs works. I do not like it. I have owned (and still own) cars with abs. I prefer to not have abs or tcs. I drive a stick.