Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The stang is trying to die on me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:32 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Default The stang is trying to die on me!

So last night I was pulling off the frontage road and hit the gas to get going and noticed a huge lag in throttle response, like 3 seconds. So I watch my tach after i let off the gas again and the tach goes down below a grand and tries to dieright after i let off the throttle. so i limped home like this and the stang dies as i pull into my drive. I start it up again and it idles normal for about a minute, then revs up to about 1300-1500, flutters around a grand and then dies. What is the deal?! I'm pretty worried about my baby. I started it this morning though and it ran fine, didn't want to die after a period of idle, let it sit and idle for 5 minutes and never showed any abnormal behavior. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Green Machine 123
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The stang is trying to die on me!

yup....take it to the dealer....
Old 07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

Could be a TPS. I drove a late 80's Chevy that did the same thing, and that's what it was. I had to complain to 3 different Chevy dealers before they found it (got a bunch of new parts under warranty before then). I wasn't impressed.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:09 PM
SemperFi789
2nd Gear Member

when ur sitting in the car, there is a button by ur left foot, on the "wall". its a little notch inside kinda of by your shin level. stick ur finger in there and press down on the button. might fix the issue, happens to me sometimes...hope its that, that way im not the only one
Old 07-23-2007, 03:47 PM
theresa
4th Gear Member

My husband and I were doing errands and all of a sudden the car wouldn't keep an idle. It was running really bad. I gave it a little gas and it started shaking. I had to stop at a light and keep my foot on the gas a little or it would of stalled.I took it easy on it and a few minutes later it was back to itself. My husband said it was bad gas from the Meijers gas station. Oh wells, it's been ok since, and that was about a month ago.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:18 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

itll be the computer i had an old witsubishi do that to me all the time, but be thankful that your car is new and its prolly under warranty because the dealers i took my car to did just what it would take to get it to run for a little while and it just became a money pit, so my parents said screw it and surprised me with a mustang one day, and i must say that was probabaly the happiest day of my life. [sm=smiley4.gif]
Old 07-24-2007, 08:44 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Mine did this back in May and had to be jumpstarted a few times to get it to restart. I kept taking it into the dealer and it would never do it when they drove it. I'd drive it and it would just die and slow to a stop. Sometimes it would rev real high and when I'd brake on it it would start shaking. I finally took it in for the fourth or fifth time after the maintenance code came on and it turned out to be that the throttle had shorted and had been causing me these problems for the previous month.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:54 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: theresa

My husband and I were doing errands and all of a sudden the car wouldn't keep an idle. It was running really bad. I gave it a little gas and it started shaking. I had to stop at a light and keep my foot on the gas a little or it would of stalled.I took it easy on it and a few minutes later it was back to itself. My husband said it was bad gas from the Meijers gas station. Oh wells, it's been ok since, and that was about a month ago.
Is this possible? BecauseI DID start having troublesimmediately after I filled up at a gas station. Seems logical i suppose, just didn't think you could get "bad gas".