Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

STROKER???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:43 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: STROKER???

ORIGINAL: Ken04

ORIGINAL: Buckman

I wouldn't hold my breath on a stroker kit ever coming out for the 4.0
The 3.8 was easy as Ford made 4.2 in the trucks so longer stroke cranks were(are) available.
The 4.0 has no such luxury. No easy swap for a longer stroke crank and no cost effective way to add stroke to the existingcrank. The price of a custom one-off would be staggering.
without a stroker crank there are ways to increase your displacement. The most popular being to grind the rod journals down and use a smaller rod end, that will give you more stroke. Using longer rods with the wrist moved up in the piston will also. Smaller rod journals spin faster than larger ones, so you will get more wear over time. You need to find a high line engine builder and pick his brain. Having all your engine specs with you will help, rod journal size, rod length, wrist pin size, wrist pin to piston crown length, etc. Good luck !
this is true, but keep in mind the cons (including price!) are going to outweigh the pro's with this type of setup. This money would be better spent bumping compression, increasing the flow of the heads, working on the valvetrain, transmission, suspension etc. Stroker kits are already one of the least cost effective ways to increase performance, at least on a new car. Doing all the r & d yourself, or even doing what you suggest would cost a rediculous amount for what you are gaining.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

ORIGINAL: Ken04

ORIGINAL: Buckman

I wouldn't hold my breath on a stroker kit ever coming out for the 4.0
The 3.8 was easy as Ford made 4.2 in the trucks so longer stroke cranks were(are) available.
The 4.0 has no such luxury. No easy swap for a longer stroke crank and no cost effective way to add stroke to the existingcrank. The price of a custom one-off would be staggering.
without a stroker crank there are ways to increase your displacement. The most popular being to grind the rod journals down and use a smaller rod end, that will give you more stroke. Using longer rods with the wrist moved up in the piston will also. Smaller rod journals spin faster than larger ones, so you will get more wear over time. You need to find a high line engine builder and pick his brain. Having all your engine specs with you will help, rod journal size, rod length, wrist pin size, wrist pin to piston crown length, etc. Good luck !
this is true, but keep in mind the cons (including price!) are going to outweigh the pro's with this type of setup. This money would be better spent bumping compression, increasing the flow of the heads, working on the valvetrain, transmission, suspension etc. Stroker kits are already one of the least cost effective ways to increase performance, at least on a new car. Doing all the r & d yourself, or even doing what you suggest would cost a rediculous amount for what you are gaining.
true, but he was asking about a stroker kit. Offset grinding ofrod journals would be expensive, as would buying rods and pistons. It wouldn't be how I would increase performance, but he did ask about increasing displacement.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

www.supersixmotorsports.com offers a4.3l stroked 4.0 SOHC. They were using 351/W forged H-Beams and dome pistons to get the compression down from 9.7:1 to 9.0:1 for F/I. I beleive they were using a crank out of a 4.5L or maybe 4.2Ltruck engine. Apparently our 4.0's come factory with flat top pistons which had "chipped" with SC running as low as 8 psi.They broke down the 4.0 SOHC with pictures showing the good and bad qualities. The bad were things like the unusually large holes in the head and block for coolant flow. The factory .030" head gasket was prone to fail. Some of the good qualities were the large amount of space in the block for stroker kits, 68cc combustion chambers, large fairly straight exhaust/intake runners,and room for larger valves. They claim this combination w/ F/I should be good for 500 hp. Im not sure if that was rwhp but i seriously doubt it. Anyhow I Thought they had a very imformative page you should check out.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:47 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

if SSM offers a stroker kit, thats news to everyone, including SSM

they do make one for the 3.8, but not for the 4.0
Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

my bad that was 3.8 I was reading wrong. But they do have a page breaking down the 4.0L SOHC that tells about the engine and its strong and weak points. I think that is very interesting but your right the stroker kit is the 3.8L