Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharged 4.0 or charged GT help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharged 4.0 or charged GT help?

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Insurance will be less with the 6, so you have to factor that in. I would find out how much it will cost to insure all three the cars. I like the new edge, but the 3v 4.6 is a more solid performer. If it came down to the two, I would go with the 3v vs. the 2v new edge gt. What are your performance goals?

Whatever choice I do, I will be keeping the car for about 3-4yrs. HP wise will be pretty much whatever I posted. Not exactly sure of performance goals, I know 500hp>410hp>340hp, but I don't know if500hpis too much for me or if I would be happy with 410hp. 340hpseems to low for my taste. I reallywant a stick though, so if Igo the charged 4.0 way, I'm gonna do a tranny swap somewhere in the future, but not sure ifit's smart to do it costs wise(expensive project). Hope this givesyou a perspective.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:18 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

I was talking to my parents about supercharging my 4.0 by the summer and ask them everything I would have to do insurance wise and reliability w/mechanics. He said, when the time comes, I will have a few options:
1. Supercharge the 4.0 and get about 400bhp+ and be pretty reliable(35k miles on engine) It's an automatic.
2. Get a stick 99-04 GTand go full bolt-on or supercharger it if internals are safe enough for it(any ideas on what stock 99-04 GT's internals are good for rwhp wise?) 25k-45k miles on engine and 500bhp~
3. Get a05-06 anddo just a cai, mufflers, and tune.(within the year after I get it, and if I choose this route, the car will have probably around 50k miles+) Forgot to tell you it would be a stick. 340bhp~
Any ideas and input on this would be great. I really wanted a stick car first, but the auto was a deal I couldn't pass up and finding a manual was almost as hard as looking for santa claus on christmas. I want a faster car, soany situation is a win.I'm still not sure what to do. Pluses and minuses of each choice would be a lot of help too! Thanks ahead of time!
i hate to stear you away from the 4.0 cause its a great car, but i think the choice is pretty clear. a bolt on s197 gt is going to be more reliable than a blown 4.0 or new edge gt in the long run, there is no doubt about that, and since you would be buying used, the price difference between getting your 4.0 blown vs getting a used gt would probably favor the gt or be VERY close due to paying for labor, and if you really want a stick, no matter how much power you have you will still in the back of your mind want a stick. Why 50k+ miles though? You can get a 30k s197 gt for right around 20k, which is where a blown new edge is gonna put you. If i were in your situation thats what i would do, but hey its up to you. I was dead set on going forced induction for quite a long time with this car, but i just could never bring myself to pull the trigger due to the fear of cracking a piston and being out an extra couple grand just to get it running again, so i am going gto, but that is what i want...go drive an s197 gt and try to find a blown 4.0 a forum member will take u for a ride in or let u drive, weigh out the pros and cons and make a decision.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07lane40

dude. you are the most finicky person i have ever seen. damn. im just happy with having a new mustang, and plan on building as i go. if you sell/buy/trade in these cars like you want to when you getolder and you'll be in up to your neck in debt. jeez. i'd think that having the best looking car on the road would be good enough for someone, but i guess not. if you cant be happy with what you got then why'd you get it to begin with?
Not finicky, just someone who like to weigh every option before doing something. . With any of the decision I will not be in debt b/c the money I will have to spend ($5k-$6k) plus my car's value(bluebook at least $13k-$14k I'm gonna guess). I got the car to begin with because it was a gift from my grandparents and a V6 was enough power for me at the time(bumping up from a taurus). I now feel the need for speed and my set-up now isn't enough. I need over 400bhp to be happy now.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

I was talking to my parents about supercharging my 4.0 by the summer and ask them everything I would have to do insurance wise and reliability w/mechanics. He said, when the time comes, I will have a few options:
1. Supercharge the 4.0 and get about 400bhp+ and be pretty reliable(35k miles on engine) It's an automatic.
2. Get a stick 99-04 GTand go full bolt-on or supercharger it if internals are safe enough for it(any ideas on what stock 99-04 GT's internals are good for rwhp wise?) 25k-45k miles on engine and 500bhp~
3. Get a05-06 anddo just a cai, mufflers, and tune.(within the year after I get it, and if I choose this route, the car will have probably around 50k miles+) Forgot to tell you it would be a stick. 340bhp~
Any ideas and input on this would be great. I really wanted a stick car first, but the auto was a deal I couldn't pass up and finding a manual was almost as hard as looking for santa claus on christmas. I want a faster car, soany situation is a win.I'm still not sure what to do. Pluses and minuses of each choice would be a lot of help too! Thanks ahead of time!
i hate to stear you away from the 4.0 cause its a great car, but i think the choice is pretty clear. a bolt on s197 gt is going to be more reliable than a blown 4.0 or new edge gt in the long run, there is no doubt about that, and since you would be buying used, the price difference between getting your 4.0 blown vs getting a used gt would probably favor the gt or be VERY close due to paying for labor, and if you really want a stick, no matter how much power you have you will still in the back of your mind want a stick. Why 50k+ miles though? You can get a 30k s197 gt for right around 20k, which is where a blown new edge is gonna put you. If i were in your situation thats what i would do, but hey its up to you. I was dead set on going forced induction for quite a long time with this car, but i just could never bring myself to pull the trigger due to the fear of cracking a piston and being out an extra couple grand just to get it running again, so i am going gto, but that is what i want...go drive an s197 gt and try to find a blown 4.0 a forum member will take u for a ride in or let u drive, weigh out the pros and cons and make a decision.

That's a great explanation I never even thought about yet. Running 12psi intercooled on any set-up decreases reliability a lot than huh? I really do want a stick, but how bad will insurance be on a new GT? I see that they are selling cheaper than I thought, so the GT will have about 30k miles then. How much rwhp you think I can get out of a full bolt-on GT over time? I hear a tune/cai/mufflers should put me at at least 340bhp. Test driving's a good idea, but I can sort of picture how each would feel. Good luck with the GTO!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:29 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

With that logic, you will be dead in no time. High School student, yes?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CroDalmatinac

College student.Nice/Fast cars ismy favorite and most interesting hobby.And no I will not be dead. I am one of the safest people you can find and am very health crazy. I don't eat fast food,cake, cookies, or other deserts. I workout for 45min or more a day(weights, running, sports, etc). AndI don't drink or smoke.Plus, Speed doesn't kill, speeding and stupid drivers kill people. Speed can be harnessed properly and used in certain situations were it will be safe(clear/empty roads) and streets where no houses or people are around. I'm not stupid when it comes to driving either. I've seenmanycar crashes andaccidents andknow what can happen if your not completely aware of your surroundings when driving.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:44 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

That's a great explanation I never even thought about yet. Running 12psi intercooled on any set-up decreases reliability a lot than huh? I really do want a stick, but how bad will insurance be on a new GT? I see that they are selling cheaper than I thought, so the GT will have about 30k miles then. How much rwhp you think I can get out of a full bolt-on GT over time? I hear a tune/cai/mufflers should put me at at least 340bhp. Test driving's a good idea, but I can sort of picture how each would feel. Good luck with the GTO!
I had heard that the GT exhaust isn't really very restrictive. Some site I was reading was doing a complete overhaul of a GT and they replaced the entire exhaust and saw very minimal gains. Taking this into consideration, I don't know if an axle-back would be worth the money unless you could find a pair of mufflers for cheap or just really wanted better sound.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:22 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CroDalmatinac

why? I've driven faster cars than most of the people in the 4.0 section and i've never been in an at fault accident, in fact i've never been even close to an at fault accident and i have avoided possible bad accidents because of driving experience and training through mid-ohio racing school. Age is not as much of a factor as focus, and responsability are and that comes down to the person, not the age.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

I'd say go with the S197 GT.

get an 05' for 19k put on CAI, headers, pipes, mufflers, tune, gears and you could have a 350hp N/A car. There are much more performance modifications for the GT than their are for the 4.0

dont do a tranny swap, people will think your an idiot.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:37 AM
BlkSunshine77
2nd Gear Member

You should go for the GT as others have mentioned.
And the first thing you can do is trade rear axles with me.
I'll give you my stock 3.31 06 rear axle disc to disc,
and take your t-lok, 4.10 gear equipped 05 rear axle disc to disc.

I'm local and I can even do the swap in my driveway if you'd like.

This way it won't affect your trade in value on your V6.
A trade to a used GT with low mileage shouldn't cost you much.

Before I got my 06 vert V6, I test drove an 05 Vert. GT 5 speed with lower mileage for only $2k more.
I didn't buy it due to my 60 per day commute. BTW. That was at Riverhead Ford.
I Highly recommend checking out Scarsdale ford, where I bought my car from.

They are awesome and normally have a great selection of used cars,
oh and two 07 Shelby GT's that are being sold at or a bit below MSRP at this point.
They've been sitting there since March. Just no demand for them in Westchester county.

PM me if you want to work something out.

Quick Reply: Supercharged 4.0 or charged GT help?