Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The Complete Bolt On List

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Mr. L
1st Gear Member

Default The Complete Bolt On List

I'm pretty new to the Mustang world and I've been on the forum for a couple of months now - just like everyone else, I'd like to add a little more kick to my pony. I've been bit by the mod-bug and I've finally decided to purchase my CAI and tune from Brenspeed this week and soon after that I'll be switching to duals.

I apologize if this question has been asked many times over - but other than the obvious mods (CAI, tune, exhaust...) what other bolt ons are possible for more HP/RWHP? I'm not looking to supercharge or add a turbo because I'd like to keep my pony as naturally aspirated as possible.

Also, I don't remember the name of the member, but he/she had a 4.0 with nothing but bolt-ons - does anyone know who this is? And do they have numbers?

-Maybe this thread will help others who share the same question as me, so I'd like to start a list of bolt on mods including their HP gain.
-I'd like all the experienced 4.0ers to add to this list if possible - just copy and paste and lets get this ball rolling!

1. CAI & Tune: 10-15 RWHP gain

2. Exhaust system (duals or single): 0-2 HP gain (<-- to my knowledge at least....)

3. Shaker System:1-3 HP gain

etc...
Old 01-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Mr. L
1st Gear Member

Default RE: The Complete Bolt On List

Oh also, maybe it would be cool to suggest a good, reliable place for future owners and members where to find the part - especially since a lot of sites out there cater only to the GT's.

i.e. 1. CAI & Tune: 10-15 RWHP gain (Brenspeed, VMP, BAMA.)

etc.

I'll update the top list as people pour in their knowledge.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:44 PM
s197Rob

TLok Differential with a 8.8" Rear end, picking up a GT takeoff(v6mustangstuff.com) will include a Tlok as they're stock in the GT

Gears, 4.10's, 3.73;s all depends where you want your power

Suspension, Steeda, Edlebrock (personal preference)

Headers, Cams

Aftermarket drivetrain, I believe the stock 4.0 wouldnt last past a certain speed(I believe 140+?)

Once you get past the CAI/Tune you get into power adder territory, Nitrous, Superchargers, Turbos and even then they can be broken down into sub categories based on fact or just personal opinion. Hope it helped

BUT if you want to add 500hp, a couple Type R emblems from dem dere ricers will be really beef your whip up! jk jk
Old 01-23-2008, 04:46 PM
tdaddy
2nd Gear Member

Look @ this thread

https://mustangforums.com/m_2931778/tm.htm

IMAO cai/tune/axle back are the only worthwhile boltons for hp
Old 01-23-2008, 09:51 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Mr L, you are a little too conservative with respectto the axle back gains; it's more around 7-10 WHP incrase for the 4.0

The CAI/tune sounds about right and it's good that you have been exposed to realistic gains

That "3 pack" is where you get the most gains; almost 25 WHP. But, the CAi/Tune just makes all the stangs feel better.

After that, unless you are looking for something to do, the rest of the bolt ons for the v6 really don't add much. If you want to go to headers and a dual system just for the sound; then that's why you should do it. Otherwise, it's a lot of time and cash to gain maybe 3-5 HP more compared with a good single axle back. If you plan on adding a supercharger then yes,you will need to go to headers and a dual system
Old 01-23-2008, 11:42 PM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

i agree with torque... once you get past CAI/tune, and exhaust the rest is up to what your goals are for the car... if you just want to 'wake up' the car then that should do it, if you want to go f/i then youll need a bit more, and if you want to make a hp/tq monster then you have to go even further.. its all what you wnat to do with it.. cheers and good luck

Lamar
Old 01-24-2008, 02:10 AM
monty21

ORIGINAL: Mr. L

does the shaker system really add any HP?? i heard it was pretty much just an appearance mod...but then again with that little HP gain i guess it pretty much is an appearance mod
Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Mr. L
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

Mr L, you are a little too conservative with respectto the axle back gains; it's more around 7-10 WHP incrase for the 4.0

The CAI/tune sounds about right and it's good that you have been exposed to realistic gains

That "3 pack" is where you get the most gains; almost 25 WHP. But, the CAi/Tune just makes all the stangs feel better.

After that, unless you are looking for something to do, the rest of the bolt ons for the v6 really don't add much. If you want to go to headers and a dual system just for the sound; then that's why you should do it. Otherwise, it's a lot of time and cash to gain maybe 3-5 HP more compared with a good single axle back. If you plan on adding a supercharger then yes,you will need to go to headers and a dual system
I only came up with those numbers from what I've read so far - not from experience... yet. But if 7-10 RWHP is ballpark for gain, I'm all for it.

ORIGINAL: monty21

ORIGINAL: Mr. L

does the shaker system really add any HP?? i heard it was pretty much just an appearance mod...but then again with that little HP gain i guess it pretty much is an appearance mod
From the info that I've gathered - I'd say shakers are 80% aesthetics and 20% performance, depending on where and how you drive of course (highway vs. city). To my understanding, you only tap into the shakers potential at high speeds - meaning the faster you go, the more air it captures and transfers to your engine = more HP gain. So in order to utilize the shaker you need to drive fast - which can be a bad thing... or a good thing