Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Posi traction

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:24 AM
ViperRohb36

Default RE: Posi traction

Hi,

Im no expert on diffrentials, most people with V6's upgrade to T-lok which gives fairly equal power to both wheels wheny ou gun it.

I thought that in ALL cases on my 2007 V6 Pony Pack that only one wheel got power. I found out this winter I was wrong. I got stuck in the driveway - usually the one rear wheel gets power.. but I noticed while backup and going forward ( while trying to get unstuck ) at times it would switch between the left and right rear wheels- which really shocked me.. I had a friend get in and watched in disbeleif.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:37 AM
ViperRohb36

Ok.. found more info.. Open differentials do get power to both wheels.. but its flawed and its the reason most people get T-loks or Detroit Posi's instead.

Found a good article.. here's a quote :

"The most basic differential described above, known as an open differential, suffers from one important problem ............if one wheel begins to slip while the other maintains traction, the slipping wheel will receive most of the power. [ When Peeling Out - one wheel continues to get most power ] This means that if one wheel is spinning on ice while the other is still in contact with the pavement, acceleration of the driveshaft will only cause the slipping wheel to spin faster and very little power will reach the wheel with good traction."

Complete article here :
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/kitcar/kb.php?aid=154

Old 04-19-2008, 12:20 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: ViperRohb36

Ok.. found more info.. Open differentials do get power to both wheels.. but its flawed and its the reason most people get T-loks or Detroit Posi's instead.

"The most basic differential described above, known as an open differential, suffers from one important problem ............if one wheel begins to slip while the other maintains traction, the slipping wheel will receive most of the power. [ When Peeling Out - one wheel continues to get most power ] This means that if one wheel is spinning on ice while the other is still in contact with the pavement, acceleration of the driveshaft will only cause the slipping wheel to spin faster and very little power will reach the wheel with good traction."

Complete article here :

This guy sure like quoting other people off the internet.
Hmmmm, wonder why? No info of his own to post?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:37 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: ViperRohb36

Complete article here :

This guy sure like quoting other people off the internet.
Hmmmm, wonder why? No info of his own to post?
Oh well it's stillgood info, nothing to make fun of. After all who really posts their OWN info, they usualy just pawn it off as their ownhaha.