Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

kind of bummed , need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:26 AM
Bails
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly
Just keep the mufflers. Xmas will be here in no time.

Tell your dad that you're sorry you didn't ask first.

Later if he's in a good mood, see if he'll let you swap just one of them on the car. Only takes about 15-20 minutes.

You'll pick up like 2 miles per gallon with even just the one muffler.

I got a pair for my buddy, and we just put on the one for now. He's already getting better mileage.

I picked up 2mpg when I put on my FRPP duals too.
+1 on the gas mileage argument.

I'm in the same boat as you. My parents pay for the car so I have to have mods approved by them too even though I pay for the mods. Kinda sucks but it's better than making car payments so I can't complain.

Definitely not a smart move but I feel for you. I'd say keep the mufflers, apologize, and just wait it out. It'll be tough, trust me I know I waited 2 years before I got the ok for duals, but it'll help you gain some trust back from your parents.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:25 AM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Just show them the evidence that its really not a performance mod at all but rather a cosmetic one. You really wont see any power gains from swapping the muffler or going to duals. Show your parents the facts and if it doesn't work just wait it out. It will be christmas in no time.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 AM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the ideas every one, my dad is letting me put it on, but i have to wait til he gets back from south carolina this weekend
Old 06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Sounds fair. Still converting to duals eventually?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by staggolee
Sounds fair. Still converting to duals eventually?
yeah, eventually i don't know when though
Old 06-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Heh, you're lucky.

Better thank your dad this weekend, and tell him one more time that you're sorry.

If you behave, he might get you the dual conversion for xmas, haha.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:07 PM
SatinSilverStang
2nd Gear Member

it took an accident for me to get duals. mother was very against it for some reason. but once it was in the shop i convinced her to just let them put my bumper under the knife and has 2 gorgeous stainless tips out the back when i was returned the keys. and i had the mufflers, x-pipe and mids sitting in my room for almost a year before this too.

just felt like sharing. show them love and respect and who knows, you might get something in return
Old 06-04-2009, 03:14 PM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

the muffler is one everyone, my dad got in form SC yesterday and we got it one, it sounds great ..... really great
Old 06-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on winning him over! Let the mods continue!

- Deadbeat
Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 PM
jf713jf
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up Don't Worry, Be Happy!

I would have to say I know EXACTLY what its like for you

Got the V6 stang around 16.5 y/o (don't worry about the teasing you catch at school. most of the people are the ones with I5 VW Rabbits and such. about 10% of the people trying to get your goat will actually have a V8 anything sports car.)

So, my story:

1. Got the CAI/tune: Dad came home 1/2 way through the install and I nearly had a panic attack as he walked over and asked me what in heck I was doing with my hood popped, Laptop sitting inside the hood with instructions up, and a brand new shiny CAI hooked up. As I explained myself, he was a little surprised and wanted to know why i was dumping money into the car. My reply: Cause it's awesome. And my school has quite the little car culture.

If you read any part of this post, read this part:

2. Got the Muffler, dad thought it was aight and the chrome tip was nice, and since i got it 40 bucks off ebay, wasn't too upset but wanted to help me install it so i wouldn't mess it up by myself. We installed it together, and while it was a little bit of a pain to get the old one out, the new one went in easy. Didn't even have to jack the car up. I honestly probably couldn't have installed it without him. Afterwards, we took it out for a cruise and he said it def sounds better than the wimpy stock v6 one plus the little power boost was nice. "don't wrap it around a light post" followed shortly.

____Now for the gushy talking to your parents stuff______

I would tell him that it's good for a kid to learn about his car and know how to maintain it. Doing it yourself and having car knowledge are valuable skills and help you keep in touch with the money and time cost of owning an automobile. In this case for example, swapping mufflers would be valuable experience if, say, you were going down the highway and clankity clank your muffler started dragging on the ground. Also, you won't get sold any muffler bearings.

I have learned so much about mustangs and cars in general from modding mine. It's really fun seeing how everything works together and knowing whats going on as you are driving.

Also, I would tell him that you read online that you get +3 Mpg from the muffler and maybe even a little insurance deduction for clean emissions. A little white lie never hurt anyone.

Hopefully, they will be more understanding and let you mod your car. I haven't even told them about the new 20's I have in the mail hahaha. They'll find out soon enough.

Anyways, hope this post isn't too late to be relevant or you have returned the muffler or something. In any case, GOOD LUCK!!