Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Noobie Tuner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Pyremind

Default Noobie Tuner Questions

Hi all. I am a new v6 2010 mustang owner, I don't know much about cars- but it didn't stop me from going and putting a BBK intake in myself ("no tune required").

I just got back from the muffler shop- intending to have them set up an H-Pipe using the two takeoff GT Mufflers I have. Sadly, they wouldn't cut the hole out for the second exhaust... I'll have to go to a body shop or try to saw it out myself- bummer.

Still, I had them throw on the GT exhaust for now- sounds way better!

So that's my set up. The crowning item that still remains is the SCT tuner (well, and the dual exhaust when I get around to it). I'm a bit nervous about messing this up, so I've got some noobish questions to ask before I go and do it:

1. The PDF that came with the tuner says I need to unplug my fuel pump fuse before flashing. I guess there is concern the process will run out my battery - but is that really necessary? Unfortunately I have no idea where this fuse is, and they don't give any hints.

2. I have a custom tune that came installed on my tuner- I have it set to a BBK, with 91p octane, rest stock. Unfortunately- I realized that the octane here goes up to 93, there's no 91. Is the octane something I can change easily as I'm installing the tune?

3. I didn't have the GT exhaust when I was filling out SCT's form, so that won't be accounted for in the tune. That shouldn't be an issue, right?

Thanks for any advice y'all can share about tuners!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:48 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

1. Your car's fuse box is located in the left side of the engine bay, between the strut tower and wiper fluid. As far as which fuse is the fuel pump fuse, not sure...

2. You would need a new tune to take full advantage of 93 octane. I can't recommend constantly running 93 on your 91 tune, but it's not going to cause the same damage and knocking as using an octane that's too low.

3. No need to change tunes for any exhaust upgrades

Last edited by staggolee; 05-07-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:07 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pyremind
Hi all. I am a new v6 2010 mustang owner, I don't know much about cars- but it didn't stop me from going and putting a BBK intake in myself ("no tune required").

I just got back from the muffler shop- intending to have them set up an H-Pipe using the two takeoff GT Mufflers I have. Sadly, they wouldn't cut the hole out for the second exhaust... I'll have to go to a body shop or try to saw it out myself- bummer.

Still, I had them throw on the GT exhaust for now- sounds way better!

So that's my set up. The crowning item that still remains is the SCT tuner (well, and the dual exhaust when I get around to it). I'm a bit nervous about messing this up, so I've got some noobish questions to ask before I go and do it:

1. The PDF that came with the tuner says I need to unplug my fuel pump fuse before flashing. I guess there is concern the process will run out my battery - but is that really necessary? Unfortunately I have no idea where this fuse is, and they don't give any hints.

2. I have a custom tune that came installed on my tuner- I have it set to a BBK, with 91p octane, rest stock. Unfortunately- I realized that the octane here goes up to 93, there's no 91. Is the octane something I can change easily as I'm installing the tune?

3. I didn't have the GT exhaust when I was filling out SCT's form, so that won't be accounted for in the tune. That shouldn't be an issue, right?

Thanks for any advice y'all can share about tuners!
I've reflashed my car about 5 times in the last two days , never =took out my fuel pump fuse , all systems go !
Old 05-07-2010, 09:08 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Yeah I've never heard of anybody pulling out that fuse either but I also realize it's not something that would necessarily come up. I wouldn't worry about it either
Old 05-08-2010, 03:35 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

ive never messed with fuses when flashing my car
and not having the exhaust on ur form shouldnt make that big of a difference
are you by any chance the blue 2010 with the white stripes in houston?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Pyremind

Nope. Sterling grey in Austin.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Pyremind

::UPDATE::

Argh. Well, I went to download the tune. Unfortunately changing the octane wasn't one of the options available for me to change (I had 93 oct fuel but a 91 tune), so I guess I'll have to do that over the website form.

Against my better judgement, I went ahead and downloaded the 91 tune to the car anyway... I drove for just a bit, but as soon as I stepped on it to get onto the highway the car seemed to 'bump' and it lurched.. and I lost power, like it went into neutral. The wrench icon also came on.

Luckily I got it over to the side, and I had the tuner so I put it back to stock right away. Turned the car on.. no wrench icon, and it drove fine back home.

So what mighta happened? I assume it has to do with the 91 tune not matching my gas... although I've been driving with 93 octane on the stock tune for a while now (to feed my BBK intake and prepare for this tune).

Also, I hope I didn't damage my baby's engine...
Old 05-08-2010, 01:59 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pyremind
::UPDATE::

Argh. Well, I went to download the tune. Unfortunately changing the octane wasn't one of the options available for me to change (I had 93 oct fuel but a 91 tune), so I guess I'll have to do that over the website form.

Against my better judgement, I went ahead and downloaded the 91 tune to the car anyway... I drove for just a bit, but as soon as I stepped on it to get onto the highway the car seemed to 'bump' and it lurched.. and I lost power, like it went into neutral. The wrench icon also came on.

Luckily I got it over to the side, and I had the tuner so I put it back to stock right away. Turned the car on.. no wrench icon, and it drove fine back home.

So what mighta happened? I assume it has to do with the 91 tune not matching my gas... although I've been driving with 93 octane on the stock tune for a while now (to feed my BBK intake and prepare for this tune).

Also, I hope I didn't damage my baby's engine...
using a better grade of fuel isn't causing your problems , where did you get this tune ??? did they ask you for your pcm id # , or a list of mods ??? i would put the tune back in , then when you get a trouble code , use your sct to find out what code you are getting , might shed some light on the situation , im betting rich condition
Old 05-08-2010, 02:19 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Ah ok nevermind
I talked to some guy that kinda had the same deal as u in houston lol
Old 05-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Pyremind

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
using a better grade of fuel isn't causing your problems , where did you get this tune ??? did they ask you for your pcm id # , or a list of mods ??? i would put the tune back in , then when you get a trouble code , use your sct to find out what code you are getting , might shed some light on the situation , im betting rich condition
Hmm okay. I'm a bit spooked by that lurch I got though, I mean, that can't be good for the engine can it? I'd kind of like to avoid that happening again, haha.