Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Leak around windows. Removing seats. New owner. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 04:21 PM
griggy99

Default Leak around windows. Removing seats. New owner. Please help

New owner. Need help with seats/leaks on my 2005 S197 Mustang V6

the leak: passenger side carpet is soaked. The normal vent have been checked and cleared. It seems the seals above the door are letting it through. Have been thinking about pulling it apart and using some silicone to reseal it and see how it goes? Anyone got anything else to check?

the seats: I’m wanting to take the seats out and clean it all. I’ve watched videos and apparently no need to disconnect the battery? Is this true?

thanks in advance
Old 01-25-2022, 06:36 PM
JimC

I added to your thread title. "need help" doesn't lend itself to many people deciding to check in, or for later searching.

I removed the passenger seat several times in my S197 for drag racing (to get everything in the car before heading to the track) and never disconnected the battery.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:52 AM
MU5T BU5T

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downl...sb08-26-07.pdf

That's a service bulletin for the s197 passenger side leak. You'll want to fix it sooner than later, and inspect your SJB (Smart Junction Box in passenger kick panel) for corrosion. If the SJB gets messed up it can cause some very odd and hard to trace issues. If it looks like it's had any water or moisture in it ever, pull all fuses, relays, and connections, and brush the terminals off. I would do everything this TSB says, including the cowl grommets and wiring harness grommets. I get leaks that build up enough to pour 2-3 cups of water from underneath the glovebox when I accelerate. Haven't gotten around to that yet but it sure isn't good for the car, and the previous owner let it sit humid for long enough to develop a significant mold and mildew problem, not to mention rust.

If your door panel pleather is peeling off, which I assume had something to do with long term humidity due to this, it's actually not too hard to replace but I'd recommend just getting fabric or leather yourself, tracing it with the old panel cards, and using some cheap chrome trim. Carefully spread silicone caulk to use as adhesive, I used spray adhesive first time and it separated quickly. The expensive pre-cut door panel card kits are more difficult and the cheap chinese ones don't actually fit.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:48 PM
philmstar

Default Been there, done that ;)

I had exactly the same issue when I got my 2005, but it was carpet rear of passenger seat. The usual culprit of front drain plugs below windshield were indeed blocked and examining the Cabin Air Filter showed that was where water had come in. I actually stipped the whole of the inside (All Seats etc.) and totally stipped out old carpet and replaced with new once dried and resealed floor with sound proofing material. I DID disconnect battery as I was concerned about side "Air Bags" accidently triggering when removing plugs under seats!