Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Manual transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 10:06 AM
alemcc
1st Gear Member

Default Manual transmission question

This is extremely embarrassing, however, I would rather ask than f up my car. I bought myself a 2005 Mustang V6 manual transmission. This is my first car with MT, and it has taken me a bit longer than I thought to learn how to drive it. My biggest concerns are getting into first gear cleanly and knowing when to shift gears (RPM). While Im letting go of the clutch after putting it into first I seem to tap the clutch before completely letting go, and it causes the car to almost brake for a second. Im not sure if im not sitting in a good position or if my mechanics of hitting the gas and letting go of the clutch is incorrect. The other question is probably simple/obvious, but here goes, at what RPM should I shift up and down at? Thanks for the help
Old 02-04-2006, 11:17 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Manual transmission question

well as far as shift points, depends on what you want to do... if your just gradually accelerating you can shift around 2000-2500 for gas milage reasons... but if your racing or want to go fast and are just stompin on the gas shift at redline

as far as downshifting goes... thats something you have to get used to depending on the car. But i know one thing... its okay to slow down in any gear... just dont speed back up till you put it back in the proper one...

that "stop" feeling your getting is probably either your not putting the clutch in all the way or your shifting too early
Old 02-04-2006, 11:27 AM
alemcc
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I do think im shifting early at times. I also think that sometimes i feel im totally off the clutch when i shift and i guess im noy, basically I rest my foot on the clutch. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Badash
1st Gear Member

getting comfortable with a manual takes practice. I have driven manuals for 14 years and when i got my mustang i stalled it 5-10 times in the first week. Dont be afraid to give it gas when you are in first and dont let the clutch pop out. Let it out gradually, in the other gears your going to stomp on the clutch shift and let the clutch all the way out. In first you need to let it out slower of the car will buck. The longer you drive it the better you will get with shifting and taking off. I found the best way to get the feel of a clutch is to find a hill... Stop on it [sm=yikesomg.gif]... then dont try driving away... try keeping your car in a 3-5 foot area without using the brake. you will find that you have the clutch out a little and with practice you will find the sweet spot that lets you keep the car in one spot without stalling the car and without using the brake... you will balance the clutch and gas. This is also a good way to keep yourself calm when you do get stuck in traffic on a hill.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:10 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Yea you guys pretty much set it all. I've been driving a manual since my first car at 16. Im 23 and my 05 mustang is my 2nd car. I stalled it the first time I went to test drive it. lol It's something that will take a lot of time. Heck I remember it took me literally a good 1 meybe 1and a half years just to learn how to drive a stick good. Including downshifting, normal driving, racing ect. All I can add is that don't be afriad of the sound of the engine. They tend to be a bit louder than an automatic tranny for some reason or another.lol Learn to love that!! Learn to love the control you have.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:09 AM
Badash
1st Gear Member

Also you should stay away from downshifting ... for now. Wait until you have a good feel for the car and can shift by feel and dont ever have to look at the tach. If you downshift into second while going 45.. you can damage the transmission or engine because your going to put the tach into the red. Use your brakes.. new cars brakes are large enough to handle braking. Some older cars you needed to downshift to help with braking. After time, driving a manual will become second nature. You will be able to take a year off of driving a manual and come back and driving it like you had driven it the day before. Its like riding a bike.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:37 AM
alemcc
1st Gear Member

Once again thanks for the info. One more question. On turns I usually brake until I get to a decent turn speed and then a I place it into neutral (basically to avoid downshifting). Is this gonna cause any major problems to my transmission, clutch or brakes. I usually do the same thing on a down when I see a red light coming up.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:05 PM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

My first manual was a 85 GT 5.0 CRAAAAAZY Fun, I stalled it like 10 times before I got used to it. I sold it back in 01, and this is my first time back with a manual. I drove it for 3 weeks without stallling it, of course all I had was 3 weeks with it and then I came back over seas.