Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

what the hell?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:33 AM
dano670
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what the hell?!?!?!

You might not have to pay the $10 if you just fix it and go down to the police station for an inspection.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:52 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

If you just want to diconnect the horn, look right behind your grill. The horn is the round sea shell looking thing (hows that for descriptive). Unplug it. Need to know what kind of steering wheel you have to fix it. If it is stock, take the horn button off. More than likely one of your contact points is damaged. You could also just unplug the horn from the inside of the steering wheel.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Coolerguy1965
1st Gear Member

I had that same problem with my 65. I had replaced the stock steering with a reproduction and there is a small metal catch on the steering wheel (I wish I had some pictures or better description) and it should be sticking straight up to catch right with your horn button. If it is bent in a different direction you will either have to bend it back to straight up with a pair of needle nose pliers (disconnect the battery if you choose to do this) and if you can't get it to work you may have to purchase a new steering wheel. This is all in my 65 if Ford changed the horn button function in later years then this advice is probably no good.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:54 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Pull the horn cap off of the steering wheel. There should be two wires that come up through the steering column, one connected to the horn itself (that you just pulled off) and one connected to the [steering] wheel. One of the connectors may have fallen off and when you turn the wheel they make contact with each other.

You can either strip the wires and replace the connectors or get some solder and fix it that way.

If you have trouble, pull the horn cap off of the wheel and post a pic.

Also….interior looks real nice…show us a pic of the out side please.

james
Old 01-01-2008, 10:40 AM
carlt66

I had the exact same problem with my 66/289 coupe - the problem turned out to be a broken tab on the horn ring plastic retainer - this would cause the medallion tonot rest on a level plane and thus actuate the horn when the wheel was turned - the good thing is that the cost of this part is a whopping$2.50! - you can get it from California Mustang - unscrew the medallion and check out your horn ring assembly - if you see other damage you can order the full horn ring contact set for @ $12 - is your ride a 66? - I'd like to see some exterior shots - the reverse image of the interior was great - I thought at first it was a special English variant or a German T-5! - good luck!

Nascarl
Old 01-01-2008, 12:56 PM
dano670
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: carlt66

- I'd like to see some exterior shots - the reverse image of the interior was great - I thought at first it was a special English variant or a German T-5! - good luck!

Nascarl
I think that is not a reverse image because the "Ford Mustang" in the steering wheel stil reads correctly.

What is the German T-5? They drive on the same side road as us, did they import right hand drive versions to Germany?
Old 01-01-2008, 02:32 PM
carlt66

I believe you are correct regarding the image - I did not notice the wording on the medallion as well as the speedometer! -all this,should likewise, be in reverse - HarrisonT what's the story? - special order rightside driveMustangs were andstill arebeing produced for countries that favor the left side of the road - I have attached recent pictures of a 2007 S197 MGT that was custom built here in the States for export to Austrailia! - as far as the T5, that was what the early Mustangs exported to Germany were called - see reference below -they would have been left side drive cars as you noted -there were european countries that did receive the right side drive variants.

Nascarl

In 1964 when Ford introduced the Mustang, the new car not only conqueredAmerica, it also mesmerized the buying public across the world. However,in Germany, Ford ran into a snag when it learned that a pair of Germancompanies already held the copyright to the Mustang name. To Germans, aMustang was either a truck or a small motorbike.

[/align]
Eyeing the lucrativeGerman market, especially with so many American soldiers stationedthere, Ford swerved around the copyright issue by giving theGermany-bound Mustangs a new name, calling it simply "T-5," which wasthe Ford code-word for the Mustang during its development. The seeminglysimple fix for the problem led to the production of some very uniquecomponents. Because the Mustang name couldn't appear anywhere on thecar, Ford tooled up gas caps and steering-wheel horn buttons with theembossed "Ford," but not "Mustang" like the American versions. Fendershad to be punched for installation of the special "T-5" emblems. Evenowner's manuals had to be printed without the Mustang name. Most camewith kilometer-per-hour speedometers instead of miles-per-hour, andsuspension upgrades--like the stiffer "export brace" in place of thetypical flimsy shock-tower-to-cowl braces--were added to accommodate therough European roads.

[IMG]local://upfiles/80592/8E3F760356C84A15ADBD21D00E034988.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/80592/75F40BD6DC7940DD959C3E4B7992F283.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-01-2008, 03:00 PM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

hahahaha. My brother-in-law has a new Crown Vic that does the same thing. I'm not sure how he fixed it though.

I can't believe a cop wrote youa ticket for that though. [:'(]
Old 01-01-2008, 04:26 PM
blazerdup
1st Gear Member

Hey what size tires and rims do you have on your car Five PT OH?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:33 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

I was so tired when I looked at this thread, I didnt even notice it was different.