Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S197 Vs LS1 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 02:13 AM
Ubergeist
1st Gear Member

Default RE: S197 Vs LS1 camaro

ORIGINAL: limer06stang

ORIGINAL: Ubergeist

well from my experience with my car its also bone stock but orlando has no good track around it and i don't feel like driving 2-3 hours away just to run my car so the only option for a track that i have is orlando speed world but enough of that...i've raced an 02' SS and a 05 GTO and both of them had nothing for me i'm completely stock and ran 13.7 both of them were in the 14.01-14.2 range...i'm 5 spd they were 6 spd...also in july near 100 degrees for us in florida....even though its a drivers race i just don't think those engines can perform because those SS and F-body guys are always bitching about what somebody else did with the same car i have yet to run in to a person that could drive one of those but yeah i do believe if they were better drivers they might've gotten me by a car or so but they do have a larger displacement 331 or something like that to a f****** 281...a friend of mine has a auto 99 SS with 100k miles on it and before he did headers/tune/intake and **** he was only running 14.2-14.4s at best now he just got down to 13.4s-13.5s now if i did those mods i'd be way past him in high 12s low 13s and he got all bitchy when i broke 13s stock...same excuse yeah well my cars rated for high 12s low 13s....same excuse from another friend of mine with a SS but his is 6spd and he's only been a best time of 14.0-14.2s same excuse....my theory if you have a bigger engine then why can't you drive it good??? yeah i had my heart set on a Trans Am but there **** for quality window motors leaking t-tops...etc... made me get an S197
My take with a lid, 13.5@107 2.35 60'. I was leaving at idle.

ET had nothing to do with how fast a car is. It has to do with how quick the car is.

I doubt your mph stock was even near 107. Hit up LS1tech.com and you will see 14.2 is not the norm.

All the s197 stangs at my track were running 14.2's. With the exception of a auto with a 100shot, running 13.3@106, and midly bolted on one running 13.4@104, a freak stock run from doodad at 13.666. And my run at 14.0@100.

Drivers equal, the LS1 will always comeout on top.

But even that said, I still like my s197 stang better.

even a lid is a mod though pal....well from what i see its what i believe and i don't have to go to some ls1 forum to find out myself i know plenty of people that have them...but yeah i do agree its all about trap mph cause our s197s are between 100-103 stock i know ls1's are supposed to be around atleast 105-108...but that's where the larger displacement comes into play...it's a catch 22 either way there's those that are die hard bowties and people that are die hard fords....it's close but the cars are opposittes
I am sure you love your s197 stang. BUt to argue that the 3v is better than the LS1 makes little sense.

Again, larger displacement is just one of the many benefits of the LS1 over the 3v.

And btw, me trapping 107 was with me tapping the brakes in between shifts. I had work boots on when I went. My friend has the vidz to proof it. At GLD they were naming the brake light bandit. Don't know how much of a difference it would have made....but I am sure it didnt help. Only got to run that t/a once. Then it was traded in on the s197 stang when the 0for72 came out.

That same day at the track Mach 1's(known to be faster than s197;s) were running the same e'ts. But where trapping 103-04, for a comparison.

But for that matter I went 13.3@105 in my bone stock mach 1. Once I get more seat time in the stang, I am sure I will be in the mid 13's.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:57 AM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

well from my experience with my car its also bone stock but orlando has no good track around it and i don't feel like driving 2-3 hours away just to run my car so the only option for a track that i have is orlando speed world but enough of that...i've raced an 02' SS and a 05 GTO and both of them had nothing for me i'm completely stock and ran 13.7 both of them were in the 14.01-14.2 range...i'm 5 spd they were 6 spd...also in july near 100 degrees for us in florida....even though its a drivers race i just don't think those engines can perform because those SS and F-body guys are always bitching about what somebody else did with the same car i have yet to run in to a person that could drive one of those but yeah i do believe if they were better drivers they might've gotten me by a car or so but they do have a larger displacement 331 or something like that to a f****** 281...a friend of mine has a auto 99 SS with 100k miles on it and before he did headers/tune/intake and **** he was only running 14.2-14.4s at best now he just got down to 13.4s-13.5s now if i did those mods i'd be way past him in high 12s low 13s and he got all bitchy when i broke 13s stock...same excuse yeah well my cars rated for high 12s low 13s....same excuse from another friend of mine with a SS but his is 6spd and he's only been a best time of 14.0-14.2s same excuse....my theory if you have a bigger engine then why can't you drive it good??? yeah i had my heart set on a Trans Am but there **** for quality window motors leaking t-tops...etc... made me get an S197

ET had nothing to do with how fast a car is. It has to do with how quick the car is.

I doubt your mph stock was even near 107. Hit up LS1tech.com and you will see 14.2 is not the norm.

All the s197 stangs at my track were running 14.2's. With the exception of a auto with a 100shot, running 13.3@106, and midly bolted on one running 13.4@104, a freak stock run from doodad at 13.666. And my run at 14.0@100.

even a lid is a mod though pal....well from what i see its what i believe and i don't have to go to some ls1 forum to find out myself i know plenty of people that have them...but yeah i do agree its all about trap mph cause our s197s are between 100-103 stock i know ls1's are supposed to be around atleast 105-108...but that's where the larger displacement comes into play...it's a catch 22 either way there's those that are die hard bowties and people that are die hard fords....it's close but the cars are opposittes
I am sure you love your s197 stang. BUt to argue that the 3v is better than the LS1 makes little sense.

Again, larger displacement is just one of the many benefits of the LS1 over the 3v.

And btw, me trapping 107 was with me tapping the brakes in between shifts. I had work boots on when I went. My friend has the vidz to proof it. At GLD they were naming the brake light bandit. Don't know how much of a difference it would have made....but I am sure it didnt help. Only got to run that t/a once. Then it was traded in on the s197 stang when the 0for72 came out.

That same day at the track Mach 1's(known to be faster than s197;s) were running the same e'ts. But where trapping 103-04, for a comparison.

But for that matter I went 13.3@105 in my bone stock mach 1. Once I get more seat time in the stang, I am sure I will be in the mid 13's.

where have i said that the 3 vavle is a better power plant than the LS1???? your just restating what i've already said i said that 3v is smaller and is a smaller displacement than the LS1...you need some help reading my friend.....i don't know that much about mach 1's cause honestly there aren't too many around where i live so don't get the chance to really see those cars perform....
Old 09-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Ubergeist
1st Gear Member

where have i said that the 3 vavle is a better power plant than the LS1???? your just restating what i've already said i said that 3v is smaller and is a smaller displacement than the LS1...you need some help reading my friend.....i don't know that much about mach 1's cause honestly there aren't too many around where i live so don't get the chance to really see those cars perform....
You sure seem to have that impression from racing your buddies with two left feet in the LS1 powered f-bodies. Did you explicitly say the 3v was better? no. But you have implied it.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:26 PM
daveb4c

My 02 A4 LS1 Camaro went 12.62 @ 108.25 with a 1.81 60ft with the following mods on the stock Goodyear RS-A's
3K tq converter
Full length headers
Different lid for the air box

I'm not a good drag racer but the car was easy to drive.

My 06 GT will take more work to get there but I do like driving it more then I did the Camaro for some reason.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:24 PM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

i think your just looking for a problem to get into with some body one here...cause honestly i don't feel like i've implied that at all and was just stating my experiences with other ls1's...this is why it took me so long to join this damn site cause somebody's always got to bitch out bout something?!