Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBR heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:52 PM
troyclemens
1st Gear Member

Default RE: BBR heads

al, thanks for the help, and thanks for suffering my ignorance.
I want to get the idle sound she wants, and still produce 450 at the wheels. I recognize that this is not an optimal power level, but we do similar things in our show cars, a lot. We always spread open the centerline, and then let the exhaust valve siphon on the intake at max overlap.
I appreciate the help, this 3 valave overhead stuff is greek to me
Old 01-08-2007, 12:00 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You may be able to find a cam that will still give you a rough idle sound and will also be supercharger friendly, but I don't know of any out there. I know that Comp Cams and I belive Crane both have cams that can be used with forced induction, but I don't think their idle is particularly agressive sounding.

A custom grind is always an option.

Anyway, my point is that the blower alone will get you to 450 at the wheels. Adding the cam won't really help your HP any, but it may be able to get you the sound you want...if you're willing to foot the bill for the sound alone, then go for it!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:06 AM
troyclemens
1st Gear Member

thanks al, I am willing, One would be suprised at the lengths we will go to in order to keep our spouses focus and attention off of our own projects!
I have a guy at comp cams who has cut several cams for me, i will give him a call. The only concern I have is getting someone to know how to profile for this, he is a BBC guy
Old 01-08-2007, 12:07 AM
troyclemens
1st Gear Member

one other thing AL, what is the most rear wheel you have seen on an n/a setup, with all mods, short of nitrous?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:34 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I have seen a couple of cars running about 345 or so RWHP. They are running all the common bolt ons (CMCP Delete, intake, underdrive pulleys) as well as longtube headers, and either cams or heads. They could all get a bit more by lightening up the drivetrain.

I haven't witnessed it personally but I have heard of someone making about 360 RWHP with the above stuff (heads, stock cams) and a bunch of lightweight driveline components (wheels, driveshaft, clutch and flywheel)

A few of the modular engine builders claim that with a big bore stroker kit (a built engine) you can hit over 400 RWHP, but that's at about 5 L displacement or more. I have not witnessed this either, but it does make sense. That could be another way to get what your wife wants: Forget the supercharger, and instead get a built engine with a stroker crank and a sleeved block. With a 3.75" stroke crank and Darton sleeves you can get 5.2L. With heads and cams it should sound mean as hell and should have good power to back it up!

That would also make a very solid foundation for future work. If you decided to slap a blower or nitrous on there, you'd already have everything forged and ready to go!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 AM
troyclemens
1st Gear Member

comp cams list one of thier cams as good for superchargers/turbos. Looks like a similar thing we do on blower engines, basically same duration as a mid end torque spread, but limit the lift some to accomodate the cylinder pressure. I am just wondering how much rumble at idle this cam would give me?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:19 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

That cam sounds almost like stock. The only cams I know of for the 3V that have a lope to them are the BBR regrinds but as you are being told any cam that has the sound you are looking will cost you hp and not really work very well with a supercharger.

Earl
Old 01-08-2007, 01:24 AM
troyclemens
1st Gear Member

yeah, i just wonder how much power, giving up a few horses to give her the sound she likes at idle is ok, if i could get 450 with everything right, and wind up with 425, i don't think it's to big a deal, if it's what she wants, and keeps her attention of my builds