Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nice but pricey

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 PM
mtags24

Originally Posted by ztalon
I have to admit that I do like my 02 Eclipse GT, but I'd sure like it a whole lot more if it was AWD/turbo. It isn't a bad car (comfortable, with an excellent V6, and a lot of bells and whistles), but it could never live up to the AWD/turbo combination of the previous generation Eclipses. This was just too hard an act to follow, particularly without the goods that personified the previous generation turbo/AWD versions.

I think Mitsubishi really jumped the shark with the Eclipse. I'm tired of the "an awd/turbo eclipse would compete with the EVO" argument." Yet, they release a Ralliart Lancer (competing with the EVO under the reasoning that it would go head to head with the WRX), that could just as well been the Eclipse. Why not give the 2 door fans an AWD/turbo...even if it is a bit less in power than the EVO? I bet some WRX buyers would jump back over to Mitsu if they offered an AWD/turbo Eclipse.
You are so right. Mitsu isn't aware of the fact that the lancer is not necessarily a car that will appeal to many americans. A lot of people don't even know what it is. But most anyone knows the eclipse. They should have kept the evo in its place and given the eclipse the downgraded awd/turbo. Plus the ralliart only comes in auto (albeit a super fast twin clutch auto), which further removes some enthusiasts in the price range from that platform.

The japanese coup market has so much potential but isn't delivering right now. Since I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing any rwd/awd/turbo coups coming from Japan soon, the mustang is really my next car of choice.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM
ztalon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtags24
The japanese coup market has so much potential but isn't delivering right now. Since I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing any rwd/awd/turbo coups coming from Japan soon, the mustang is really my next car of choice.
Yeah, there are absolutely no indications of Mitsu waking up with their coupes. I have considered the Ralliart (if I decide to part with my Eclipse GT), but they don't even offer a sunroof with the Ralliart (even though they do with the basic Lancers). Probably because of the aluminum roof.

I'd rather upgrade to a Turbo/AWD Eclipse or maybe a Ralliart with a sunroof and a real 5 speed manual. Since neither appears imminent, I will sit with what I have (not a hardship).

The Mustang really is tempting me, but I am still very happy with my nearly mint Z-28 and simply trading in my 03 Mustang would not knock too much off the sticker price of the Mustang GTs I have been thinking about.

There really is a big opening for a nice AWD sport coupe right now. Too bad nobody is taking advantage of it. Mitsu could grab the lion's share of the market with an AWD Eclipse and AWD EVO. Too bad it isn't happening.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
ztalon
2nd Gear Member

For the heck of it, I went and priced a nice premium GT and it sure isn't hard to go north of $34,000 I ended up just over $34,000 and that was without the glass roof and holding the line on some options that were tempting. I went for some options, but held the line on others. I figured that if I dove in and got everything I'd like, I'd end up over $37,000 pretty easily. Nothing like pricing out a new car you want, to make you appreciate the nice rides you currently have.

Unfortunately, Mustang buyers and Camaro buyers are unlikely to see the kind of deals that mainstream car buyers are enjoying right now. That old supply and demand thing is hurting right now. It will be interesting to see when car lots start filling up with some nice choices in Mustangs and Camaros (maybe not for a while though).