Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who thinks push button start with keyless door and trunk entry would be a nice option
Would be a nice feature
62.50%
Not interested
37.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Push button start

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by carlesious
I'm sayin that ford needs to catch up with modern technology features,
This is a gimmick, and no, just because something is laden with "modern technology" does not automatically make it better (just more expensive and more complex).

If I EVER begrudge the effort required to take the keys out of my pocket and turn a mechanical lock cylinder a quarter turn and then release it back to the 'run' position, I will take that as an indicator that I should stop driving.

Norm
Old 06-06-2010, 07:25 PM
carlesious

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
This is a gimmick, and no, just because something is laden with "modern technology" does not automatically make it better (just more expensive and more complex).

If I EVER begrudge the effort required to take the keys out of my pocket and turn a mechanical lock cylinder a quarter turn and then release it back to the 'run' position, I will take that as an indicator that I should stop driving.

Norm
People like you probably once thought that the ignition system we have now was a gimmick, so we should just go back to days where you manually crank started the cars.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:44 PM
hoodlum54
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by carlesious
People like you probably once thought that the ignition system we have now was a gimmick, so we should just go back to days where you manually crank started the cars.

Couldn't agree more. Cars are progressing...so are they ways we use them. I think this option would be awesome...it's incredibly handy, very efficient and just plain cool. If you wanna hop back in your model T norm....cool beans.... I jest...but yeah, if the 16k ford fiesta has them, the 2012 5.0 for 32k better damn well have it as an option at least. Let's stop making excuses for the Mustang...they're not perfect after all...(though I think they're pretty close
Old 06-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Bad guess, carl. I've worked with aftermarket multiport EFI/ignition and would never go back to carbs, points, and condenser or full size starters if I could possibly help it.

Technology has its places, but this isn't one of them. A more complex way of doing something that's really simple to begin with is a step backward. Keep it simple. Not race car simple (toggle switch ignition + start switch), just simple with a modicum of security.

BTW, "ignition system" isn't the same as "starting system".

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-06-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Paul1588
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

Norm
AMEN on that one
Old 06-06-2010, 08:39 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

More gismoes = More things to break! Who needs it. Are you that lazy to put the keys in and start it?
Old 06-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hoodlum54
Cars are progressing...so are they ways we use them.
Changing, yes, but not necessarily for the better. We need better drivers, not cars that do a better job of hiding marginal operator competence. "Keyless" unlock and pushbutton start isn't helping here. At what point will people decide that the key is too much bother to keep track of and ask that an RFID chip be embedded under their skin?

I don't think I can explain in words how much that second thought scares me given the general topic here.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-06-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I Love Turning My Key
Old 06-06-2010, 09:16 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
I Love Turning My Key
EXACTLY!!! I don't understand what all the hoopla is with a button. Turn the key, push a button... as long as the car starts... I'm a happy camper!
How is having a button over a key start a feature? Having a sun roof or an automatic transmission vs a manual would be a feature or option. Having a V8 vs a V6 would be a feature but a button vs a key? The end result is the car starts and once that happens who cars if you pushed a button or turned a key?

Last edited by D'prived; 06-06-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:27 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

I do like the feature but I dont like most aftermarket ones that you still have to put the key in then push a button. When I do it, it will be this one. It unlocks the car as you approach and the nyou push a button with no key to insert.

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/2GOKEYLESS3.html

Quick Reply: Push button start