Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2011 5.0 Caught Fire while I was driving it

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I feel as though I am looking at a jigsaw puzzle with a few pieces missing. I don't know why GEICO would refuse to cover in any event. But because it was covered by warranty? I don't think it is, unless Ford changed its warranty from 2007 to 2011. My 2007 Warranty Guide says that damage caused by fire is not covered under the new vehicle limited warranty.

My Warranty Guide does say, "Sometimes Ford may offer a special adjustment program to pay all or part of the cost of certain repairs beyond the terms of the applicable warranty."

As to lemon laws, that's a complex area in which I am not knowledgeable.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
Yeah, I feel as though I am looking at a jigsaw puzzle with a few pieces missing. I don't know why GEICO would refuse to cover in any event. But because it was covered by warranty? I don't think it is, unless Ford changed its warranty from 2007 to 2011. My 2007 Warranty Guide says that damage caused by fire is not covered under the new vehicle limited warranty.

My Warranty Guide does say, "Sometimes Ford may offer a special adjustment program to pay all or part of the cost of certain repairs beyond the terms of the applicable warranty."

I wonder why Ford even bothered to recall those Fords for the cruise control issue that could catch the car on fire. I mean, heck, if they don't have to warranty anything once that sucker catches of fire................
Old 05-31-2011, 07:58 AM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161

I'm sure that fire due to Electrical issue would be covered in the warranty. I'm sure Ford put that in the warranty for cars that catches on fire due to Filling at the pump, People smoking or like one person said if a bag or something somehow were caught on the Exhaust and started a fire. In other words due to an outside Event. This clearly looks like a wiring problem.

Last edited by mobydick; 05-31-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Supposedly GEICO said they were not covering for fire because it was covered by warranty. I don't understand that. But if that is what they said, I would have countered with the wording of the warranty that says fire is not covered. Therefore, GEICO, even under its theory, pays.

As for a recall, we don't know what went wrong. This has been a long thread, and not one other person has said that his/her 2011 Mustang caught fire. There's not going to be a recall that affected only one person. At this point it seems an anomaly, rather than a widespread issue caused because of defective design, parts, or assembly. That could change if more people have the same issue. That is why it is so important to report the fire to NHTSA. They do not act on one report, but if they get a number of similar reports, then they might open an official inquiry.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:50 AM
minivanracer
1st Gear Member

Whattttt
Old 06-01-2011, 12:51 AM
minivanracer
1st Gear Member

Lawyer??
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 PM
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member

Any updates? Or still getting the run around?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 PM
dstowe2003
1st Gear Member

I got a letter from Ford counsel saying that they will be sending a Ford Scientist out to inspect the car now and I am uncertain of the time. They will write me another letter to tell me what they are gonna decide to do. Letter? What year is this? I hope my 1901 resolution comes in a glass sailboat bottle. Ugh! Got my lawyer though now so I'll just be chillin til the next letter comes. I rented a Mazda 3 and it is so good on gas! I'm lovin it
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dstowe2003
I got a letter from Ford counsel saying that they will be sending a Ford Scientist out to inspect the car now and I am uncertain of the time. They will write me another letter to tell me what they are gonna decide to do. Letter? What year is this? I hope my 1901 resolution comes in a glass sailboat bottle. Ugh! Got my lawyer though now so I'll just be chillin til the next letter comes. I rented a Mazda 3 and it is so good on gas! I'm lovin it
I would send it back with a note inside stating 3 months is unacceptable, and with your lawyers contact information and that any more correspondence should be sent to them!

Last edited by mobydick; 06-02-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mobydick
That car had an aftermerket shift light!
Yes, I know, so does mine and it's set well below the rev limiter. My point is the shift light going off means nothing!

Quick Reply: My 2011 5.0 Caught Fire while I was driving it