Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:24 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering springs?

I installed the Prokit on mine. You will need an alignment. You will also need to eventually get some caster/camber plates because they won't be able to get it aligned back to factory specs. The camber will be noticeably off. I still haven't gotten the plates yet since I don't drive it often enough for it to be urgent. You can see that there is too much positive(?) camber, but it's not like the tires are laying over or anything.

The install is fairly straight forward. You will need a set of deep sockets, though (and, of course, spring compressors). Actually, you only need two sizes of deep sockets, if I recall. You will also need a set of jack stands or a suitable stand-in; otherwise, there is no hope of getting the spring/strut assembly back on unless you disconnect the front sway bar. You should also consider getting a hex socket/driver to aid in disconnecting the sway bar end link (I think that's what it's called) from the strut assembly. I didn't have one and it added a significant amount of time to the install.

The rears are a piece of cake; not that the fronts are hard, they're just tedious. Using inadequate hand tools (and having to improvise with a few things) took me ~8 hours. With the proper tools, you should be able to do it in less than half that. Another reason it took so long was having to go back and forth to the parts store as well as being super-duper careful not to make any contact with the paint. Actual install time was probably ~6 hours (again, with inadequate tools).
Old 09-14-2005, 09:33 PM
V2GT
1st Gear Member

Install is fine. Car has over 10k miles since I put the springs in...some with the speedo pegged on the interstate. That pad atop the spring/strut is just two pads with ball bearings in between. No big deal putting it back together.

ORIGINAL: GT Premi

ORIGINAL: V2GT

... Fronts were more of a hassle. There are ball bearings there too that you can spill all over the place if your not careful. Caught me by surprise. ...
How the heck did you get ball bearings to fall out?? You might want to have a professional check out your installation. I did my own install and didn't encounter any ball bearings. You must've disassembled the the bearing assembly that goes on top of the strut. That's not necessary to do. There's only one nut to remove to separate the spring from the strut.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:03 AM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

Well I guess I'm gonna go the safe route and just get the CC plates. Anybody have an idea on what would be a good brand and how much the install might run. I'd like to have ford do it all so as to not void my warranty...suspension changes are the worst for that. Sure looks like I'm not the only one annoyed by the huge wheel to fender gap on the GTs. I think Ford should offer a sport-spring/chasis upgrade package...
Old 09-15-2005, 10:05 AM
old tsteffes
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Airborneflyguy
I think Ford should offer a sport-spring/chasis upgrade package...
They will in 2007 with the Cobra.