4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharge Stock Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Kolson

Default Supercharge Stock Mustang

I bought my '02 Mustang GT convertible about a month ago, choosing it over the Camaro and Trans Am. I liked the look of the Trans Am more, and I definetly noticed the extra power of both cars, but they were just too low and too long for me. The Mustang was just more fun to drive because I found it more maneuverable. It was also a bit cheaper since the '02 was the last year for the other two pony cars.

My only issue is that I do miss that power from the LT1 engine. The extra 50 hp is very noticeable. But since I only had to pay $12.5k for my '02 vert, I could put about $5k into my mustang and still be at the same price of an '02 Trans Am with 60k miles on it.

I am pretty sure that simply putting in a CAI, exhaust, 75mm plenum, etc. will not be enough. I want something faster than your average Trans Am, so +30-40rwhp will not do it.

So that leaves forced intake; either a Supercharger or Turbocharger. A Supercharger seams to be the better bang for your buck, since I can get a new Paxton 1000 Supercharger for about $4100 including installation (I am a programmer, not a handyman). I dont mind losing about 3 mpg to get an extra +100 rwhp. If I can keep my average mpg to about 17-18 it will only cost me about $30 a month more in gas than what I am paying now (with 91 octane instead of 87).

But is there anything else I need to do with my otherwise stock GT? I plan on eventually getting at least a CAI and performance exhaust, but can I simply put a supercharger into my stock GT without any other improvements? Even if there isnt anything absolutely necessary, are there any modifications that SHOULD probably be done if I am adding a supercharger?

If there are any other modifications that should be made, how much will they cost (including installation)?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Tellowman24
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharge Stock Mustang

just depends on what the cars for

car can handle the kit fine tho with reasonable boost.

but supporting mods are always nice
Old 09-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Kolson

just depends on what the cars for
Well if it matters, the car is purely for street driving. I just like to have fun on country roads mostly. And being able to beat my fiance's brother's trans am on the track (if a race ever takes place) would just be icing on the cake.

And btw, I will be getting the supporting mods later. I just want to make that that doing the supercharger first is okay by itself.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:16 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

If you're doing FI, you'll need a new fuel injectors, I went with 42#. I upgraded the MAF calibrated to 42# injectors. I'd also recommend getting an intercooler with the SC and also recommend something other than a Paxton. you can get a much more reliable SC for less.

My purchase price was $3850 and I installed myself. The MAF was another $200 something.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:17 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

I get about the same mpg as I did before the SC.

With the MM full length subframe connectors I have better traction than before the SC.

With the extra 140 hp and the new clutch, my daily driver is much more fun on my 40 mile each way commute every day than before the SC.

I don't see how you could go wrong with any power adder.

You could also do nitrous and a full suspension upgrade for a little less than the SC would cost. Just something else to consider.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Kolson

If you're doing FI, you'll need a new fuel injectors
Oops, sorry, I should have mentioned I am getting a full supercharger kit. It will have new fuel injectors, intake fuel pump, air fileter, etc.

and also recommend something other than a Paxton. you can get a much more reliable SC for less.
What brands are more reliable and cheaper than the Paxton Novi-1000? I actually was only thinking about the Paxton because it seamed to be the cheapest one. I dont mind paying a little bit more for a more reliable one too if the Paxton SC is no good.

You could also do nitrous and a full suspension upgrade for a little less than the SC would cost. Just something else to consider.
What exactly would a suspension upgrade do for my car? (and how much does that cost?) Does it improve the performance? I already like the maneuverability of my mustang, will it make it much better?