4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NEED ADVICE E85 CONVERSION 2001 TWIN TURBO MUSTANG GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 01:17 AM
seanmathes

Default NEED ADVICE E85 CONVERSION 2001 TWIN TURBO MUSTANG GT

This is my first post here so want to introduce myself.

I just picked up a 2001 twin turbo mustang GT today. I don't have a lot of specs on it but will be posting those within the next couple of days when I get them.

My first goal is to get this converted to E85 as a buddy of mine told me this was possible and would be beneficial over $10 a gallon race gas and would be fun to do.

Are there any good resources for what will need to be done for the conversion. I know it may need larger injectors, larger fuel pump, and of course need to be tuned. Currently I think it is running 60lb injectors not sure about the fuel pump but its large and bright red.

Here are the basics of what I do know, car has been completely built from the ground up. New tranny, rear end, forged block, head work (again not sure everything that has been done), dual 62mm turbos with k member front end. Greddy profec boost controller. That's really about all I know about the car. It was built by Texas hot rods several years ago.

I have the dyno sheets and at 20lbs of boost it put out 728 RWHP and 930 at 30lbs on 110 race gas.

I am not super technical when it comes to forced air or major work as I have little experience but I have friends that are. The extent of work I have done is small things like brakes, clutches, oil, etc. Thanks for any info. Am really looking forward to this project and talking with any of you.

Sean
Old 04-09-2009, 01:31 AM
seanmathes

Default A FEW PICS

If anyone is curious here are a few pics.

Also, any suggestions for a place to get gauges for a decent price? The boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge were stolen last week at the auction.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:46 AM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

its gonna be pricey, but yes, E85 injectors, fuel pumps (although imsure you already have aftermarket ones) your rails are fine, and yes, you'll need a tune.

why not water-methanol injection? alot cheaper, and then you can run 91 octane.

is this going to be a daily driver for you?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Fobra
Banned

most people dont like water in their engines

and before somebody makes some dumb comment... I know its not "water", im just saying that alot of people arn't comfortable spraying it, thats all
Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

http://www.e85mustangs.com/

Go to this site and email the site owner. I've been talking with him for a while now and I'm on the cuff to do the conversion next winter. Basically you need 20% more fuel for driving and 35% more at WOT. I wouldn't trust it to be done by an average tuner.

Fuel system is everything and the tune can be switchable to go between both Petrol or e85. The largest problem is there is not aftermarket fuel system modification that can be made that allows for automatic select fuel like in new cars.

Good Luck.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:56 AM
seanmathes

Haven't considered water methanol as I didn't know it existed. No definitely not a daily driver the race suspension is awful just thought the E85 would be a cool project and I have heard good things. Would be pretty cool to have a 1000 hp car on pump gas. You mentioned ethanol injectors? I didn't think the injectors were different they just need to be larger? I will let you guys know what fuel pump.

Also any resources on where the process is discussed? Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

meth injection is a pretty simple install..and its only 25 bucks for 5 gallons at the local racetrack here.

atleast it was easy to do on a 2005 gto.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:29 PM
mad_pony

your gonna need urethane hoses and bigger fuel injectors and pump since your running boos t your gonna have to upgrade everything.

google works good i bought plans for my own still just be carefull if you do that your supposed to have a permit there are alot of rules if you wanna make your own ethanol fuel